“First Class!”

Ranked #25 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
“First Class!”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights during stay to take in Edinburgh Tattoo.

Fantastic hostess, super rooms, a breakfast choice second to none and so, so easy to travel to/ from Edinburgh by bus. The 'honesty' bar was the icing on the cake!

Will visit again next time we're in Edinburgh.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
north yorks
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We stayed at the Aaron Glen for two nights. Although we knew the B&B was around 6 miles outside of Edinburgh we did not expect to be on the side of the ring road on the edge of an industrial estate. The Aaron Glen itself is pleasant inside very clean and the cooked breakfast was very nice. The rooms were a bit smaller then I expected ( maybe thats just me being picky ) but there was a kettle, biscuits and a choice of hot drinks there was also a fresh rose in the room which was a lovely touch. It was quite warm whilst we were there but unfortunately due to the road noise we didnt feel like we could open the window at night. I dont think I would go back and stay at the Aaron Glen but thats more personal choice more then there actually being anything wrong with the B&B itself. For those wanting to go in to Edinburgh the bus stop is nearby and will cost about £1.80 each and takes about 45 mins and for a taxi it is around £19 but doesnt take too long.

1 Thank Kate F
Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here when attending a Halloween party last year and will be booking up again for this year.
Great value for money, with clean, modern contemporary spacious rooms.
The owners or staff who were present were friendly and very helpful. A well stocked bar, unstaffed with an 'honesty tab' was a great idea and a rarity in this day and age!
A great selection to choose from for breakfast whether you want a light bite or full Scottish. Well cooked with tasty ingredients.
I great guest house which I would thoroughly recommend for short stays or as a base for longer holidays to Edinburgh and the surrounding area.

• Stayed October 2011
Newcastle
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I used this B&B as I was travelling up from Newcastle and had a morning flight out of Edinburgh Airport. The location was really convenient as it's close to the ring road and only a 15 min drive from the airport.

The owner was very welcoming and showed me to my room. The room was very comfy with everything you would expect, including some Scottish shortbread and little sweets.

I headed out for fish and chips for my tea and the owner explained I could bring them back to the B&B to eat them in the restaurant, which I thought was a nice little touch.

Breakfast was fantastic and set me up for the flight. I would defiantly recommend going for the full Scottish.

If I am ever back in Scotland I will come back here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank TobyPippa
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stayed here last weekend at a cost of £85 per night for two nights, it is fair to say that it was worth every penny.

We were greeted by the owner Carolyn who welcomed us in, asked us how we were, asked what we were up to and offered to search the times of the next bus into town for us - you don't get that at a Travelodge!

We were in room 3 in the main building (there's an annex at the back with two further rooms/apartments), which was well apportioned and decorated. The entire house was very well presented in fact.

In the room, in addition to the flat screen TV and comfy bed were nice little touches, a tea tray with the largest selection of drinks I've ever seen (9 to be precise) complete with KitKat if you're a bit peckish in the night! Also they have their own Scottish Tablets made for them which are in the room when you arrive - again a nice little touch.

Aaron Glen runs an honesty bar, which means you go down and help yourself, mark down what you've had and pay it when you pay up - the selection of malts (if you like that sort of thing is large). It just sums up what this place is about down to earth yet covers everything you want.

The breakfast in the morning, well what can you say, it's seldom I find myself struggling to finish, but it was just that for me here - I found I didn't need to eat until evening it was that large and also very tasty.

The location may make some people think twice about staying here - but there's a 24 hour bus service to/from the City Centre, free parking on site and it's just off the Ring Road for a quick getaway, so unless you're the sort of person that has to stay on Princes Street, then I urge you to consider this place.

Whilst we stayed here, there were couples, a few workmen, families and the odd single person, so it really does cater for all travellers, and all the staff here are really personable and go out of their way to see if there is anything else that they can do to make your stay even more pleasurable that what it is.

I have stayed in four hotels and guest houses in Edinburgh and this is easily the best, if I could pick this guest house up and drop it wherever I wanted to go, I would!

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2012

If you travel extensively and long for a place to stay that pleasantly surprises you, then stay here. Genuine people offering a delightfully relaxed hospitality of a standard that is not too formal. Some lovely small touches that those who travel regularly will enjoy.

I am reluctant to say too much because I won't be able to get a room next time I am in Edinburgh.

A prefect location if you are visiting Rosslyn Chapel

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ecepet
Kilmarnock
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We have not long checked in to the Aaron Glen Guesthouse but thought we should write a review on our thoughts so far :)

We were greeted by one of the owners Carolyn who was very pleasant and informative about where to get buses etc into the city centre.

There is a bar and kitchen in the main house where you can help yourself to milk and alcoholic drinks. They are very trusting as you just write what you have taken on a postit.......and the prices haven't increased in 15 years!!

We are staying in one of the apartments to the rear of the main house and we are very pleasantly surprised. The room is very good size with a double bed and a single bed. There is a flat screen tv, iPod docking station and tea and coffee making facilities. There is also wine glasses and a corkscrew which I thought was a nice touch :) The bathroom is quite big with a large sink and shower and very clean!!

There is seating areas outside and if it was a nice day you could sit out, relax and have a drink in the sun.

Definately a good base if you wanted to explore the city centre and for the money you really can't complain! ......also free parking!

Enjoy your stay :D

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edinburgh
Premier Inn Edinburgh A7 (Dalkeith) Hotel
#3 of 5 in Lasswade
Emerald Guest House
Emerald Guest House
#160 of 392 in Edinburgh

Been to Aaron Glen? Share your experiences!