Ritz Edinburgh
Piries Hotel(Edinburgh)
  • Breakfast included
  • Room Service
View Hotel
All reviewshaymarket stationcontinental breakfastplenty of storage spacecommon areasjust round the corneran ironstayed here for three nightstea and coffee facilitiescity centrefirst floorlong weekendprinces streettramshampoohogmanay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Basic but what we expected no frills decent bar lots of stairs but would use again... close to a train station and about a 20 minute walk from the main station. reception open 24 hours and we stayed in bar until 3am !!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 15, 2013

A pleasant stay in a quirky hotel with lots of character. Hot shower and decent free shampoo. I enjoyed the bar and the staff were friendly. Room was cozy and warm with a good TV. It was enjoyable drinking bubbly in the four poster! I recommend to all.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I stayed here with me and my partner for his 30th birthday. After reading the reviews I was almost having palpitations about staying here and was worried it would be horrendous. It wasn't and I was actually surprised it wasn't as bad I feared.

The positives are the location. You are in easy access of everything. There are roadworks at the moment due to a tram line being built but that in no way affected accessibility. The hotel is also off a side street so very quiet. The hotel was clean, the bed linen was fresh and the bed was extremely comfortable. Our room was large and spacious. The staff were polite and friendly at all times with a 24 hour reception. It was ideal for what I needed as in reality I spent very little time there as there is so much to do in Edinburgh.

The negatives are that the hotel is very tired and in need of refurbishment. When you walk in you are not sure if you've walked into an old peoples home or a hotel! It has a musty smell that they try to cover by lighting a scented candle. It doesn't work. There is a lack of attention to detail for example the hinge on our wardrobe was broken so the door did not close properly and the plug in the bathroom sink was broken and so left on the sink rather than fixing it. These things would have been easy to fix and would give a better impression. The bar never had one person in it and the hotel would be far better served using that room as a dining room and doing breakfast but that's just my opinion.

If you are looking for a cheap place to stay that's clean, comfortable and in easy reach of amenities and are just wanting a place to rest your head at night this place is absolutely fine. Would I return? No, as I would like to stay somewhere nicer next time but it served a purpose and I can assure you I have stayed in far worse places!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hollie K
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Our room was on the 3rd floor without lifts. I did know this when I booked, so not a surprise. The bath tub had mold in corners. All furnishings dated/tired. If your a single guy that is looking to save some money this could work if you are not bothered by how cheap this place is maintained/updated. There is smell in the hallway next to my room that was unpleasant, think this is from the new carpet that was installed on top of the old carpet. Gross. Location is not that great as other reviewer have stated versus main attractions. Hard to get here due to construction and very hard to find parking. Desk help was nice and friendly, I would not blame staff for the mold in the shower as it is hard to clean pitted, chipped, cracked fixtures.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Stayed here with my mother and we think it was ok.
We did our research before going to the hotel so we knew it is old, not a real ritz, without a lift and breakfast. But for 50 pounds per night in a double ensuite room it was good!
When we arrived we got a room with a bad water presure but the next day they changed it for us. The room is clean, big, the bathroom too. And they had good coffee and tea facilities.
The beds were nice though as somebody said a little bit bouncy- but clean and with comfy pillows.
But seriously, for 50 pounds per night I couldn't expect for more and happy it wasn't that bad as some people experienced.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family