“The Perfect B & B”
Review of Kingsburgh House

Kingsburgh House
Ranked #169 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I spent a long time looking on tripadvisor for a place for my husband and I to stay on our first trip to Scotland. I very much relied on the reviews of others. Wasn't sure whether to stay in a hotel or a B & B. We had never stayed in a B & B before. When I discovered the Kingsburgh House and read the wonderful reviews, I knew that was where we wanted to stay. We were not disappointed! It is simply a beautiful old home - wonderful architecture - hidden behind trees but right on the main street - and close to a bus stop and a short ride into downtown Edinburgh or the airport. Now for the Kingsburgh House itself... I can't remember the name of our room but it was at the top of the stairs on the left. The room was small but beautifully decorated...the bed extremely comfortable..the bath was small..but recently remodeled and very pretty...all the towels smelled so nice...and the shower stall was very interesting but fine once you figured out how to use it. In our room, we had a complimentary sherry decanter, chocolates and other goodies each day...along with a little tea pot and all the fixings for a nice cup of tea after touring the city all day! Each day we were asked what time we'd like to have breakfast the next morning. And - the breakfasts were scrumptious!! We had a choice...either a typical Scottish breakfast (which I highly recommend) or cereal, yogurt, fruit, breads, cheeses, etc. Or - a little of both! As our flight out of Scotland left early on our final morning and we wouldn't be there for breakfast, the hosts asked if we'd like to have something to take with us. Well - what waited outside of our door the next morning was an incredible packed breakfast bag filled with little sandwiches and all kinds of yummy things we could eat on the run. This place is a GEM!!! I would highly recommend the Kingsburgh House!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cindy L

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Found on the Internet based pretty much on its proximity to the conference centre I was speaking at the next day, I couldn't have been more delighted with what I'd found. Hidden behind trees and looking as though it wanted its secret maintained, the hotel generated the 'is this the right place?' thought in my mind as it looked far too good to be true, and then to be welcomed by name without me needing to introduce myself confirmed that I had got it very much right indeed.

The friendly welcome aside, the room we were taken to had a four poster bed, complementary sherry and was beautifully decorated (perhaps the order I have placed those factors says too much about me!). We were made to feel incredibly welcome, with breakfast served at exactly the time we had requested it, and the more mundane aspects such as checkout were personalised too. The abiding memory is that of going to stay with a very well-to-do member of the family in their sumptuous house, and that says much for the attention that we received on arrival - which was not intrusive but just exactly the right amount.

Perhaps I shouldn't write this, as I would quite like to keep the secret to myself...

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2013

The service here is excellent, friendly and helpful. Very highly recommended. We stayed here for 4 nights, I thought it was a bit expensive for the room we got, but I can understand why this place is so highly recommended: the service and the hosts.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Oscar P
Reviewed August 24, 2013

The welcome was very friendly. Our room looks very nice, the bed was wide and comfortable. The breakfast was so excellent, we can say it was the best in our scotland-journey. We could recommend this Hotel for 100%.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed August 20, 2013

This B&B is very nice, but if you book the lowes room category, there is nothing too fancy about it. Rooms are clean and the breakfast is very good, with a lot of choice like fresh berries, etc.
Hosts were very helpful. We could check in quite early, as the room was already cleaned, which was comfortable for us.
Would probably go back there.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street are quite noisy apparently.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Spent four nights at the Kingsburgh House; great location, excellent for visiting City; frequent buses pass the house. Hosts could not have been more accommodating. Willing to help with all manor of enquiries to enhance our stay. Breakfasts could not be faulted and lots of 'treats' for guests to enjoy. Twin bedroom on ground floor rather small, shower room obviously an added facility, but perfectly adequate. Windows in bedroom would not open and it was rather warm. Without doubt we experienced two very nice hosts who went that extra mile to ensure their guests were well looked after and well informed as to what the City of Edinburgh had to offer. Would recommend Kingsburgh House to friends and family.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 13, 2013

arrived late in the afternoon and was greeted by the owner. Really nice guy, asked all about why we were here to personalize our stay in Edinburgh. Gave us great tips about what to see and do as we only had the rest of the day to explore. Stayed in the twin room which was downstairs behind the living room. Very nice and cosy and really well decorated. The complementary cherry went down treat. Breakfast was brilliant. Huge selection of continental food and a hot menu that you could choose from also. The house is just off the main road which is the busroute from the airport to the city centre. Loads of busses passing every few mins so transportation is not an issue.
Over all a great spot and highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends