“Good place to stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Brae Lodge Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Brae Lodge Guest House
Ranked #103 of 445 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Centreville, Maryland, Usa
“Good place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

The location is excellent. Bus stop into town is virtually at the door. It is an easy drive up from the ring road without having to go thru downtown. The staff was friendly and the breakfasts were quite good. Try the haggis omelet. I'm glad I did. Not a whole lot of places to eat in the area, but we did OK.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank profjt
BraeLodge, Owner at Brae Lodge Guest House, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Hi! A big thank you for the nice review. The Haggis omelette was actually a suggestion given to us by a previous guest and it has been very popular. Haste ye back!
Thanks again.
Neil & Lesley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Punta Gorda, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

Our room was on the small side, so I was at first disappointed. Then I discovered how convenient the bus stop was, and got to chatting with the host and hostess who were truly delightful and I realized that the size of the room was inconsequential. The breakfasts were really good, not the standard "full Scottish breakfast," but really much nicer. Furthermore, they had gone out of their way to deal with my gluten problems (I have celiac disease). Not only did they have gluten free bread, but Lesley managed to get me gluten free chocolate chip cookies, which were delicious. I'd call this a hidden gem, and I'd go back there in a moment. You can't go wrong here.

Room Tip: Try for the back. Those rooms look out on a farm, and are very quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Dave..
We are grateful that you gave us such a positive review. It was no problem at all to help out with your Gluten free diet as you did let us know in advance. It was good to have a bit of a "banter" with both of you and we would welcome you back anytime.
Best wishes
Belfast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

That was our first, but not last visit to Edinburgh and Scotland as well. We spent 3 nights in Brae Lodge with our friends. Good location, away from the noisy city. Close to the bus stop. It is quiet area but better to take rooms at the back of this house (even more quiet).
Rooms are big enough and clean. Comfortable beds. Tea and coffee.
Breakfast was savoury, had nice variety: every morning 2 different courses, scottish breakfast of course, delicious homemade Lesley's scones, fruit, yoghurts. Tea, coffee and hot toasts were also available.
The owners Neil & Lesley were very friendly and helpful.
We would recommend this B&B to all our friends.

Many thanks
Ryszard with Anna and Barbara with two Fish (Rybczyńscy)

Room Tip: Take scones first, cos it is not enough for all. These were first scones I liked during 7 years of l...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ryszard S
Hello! It was great to meet to you all and thank you for the wonderful review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Its good to hear that breakfast and especially Lesley's scones were a highlight. Next time there will be a double batch of scones in the oven :-)
Regards
Neil
Varanasi, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

Brae Lodge Guest House was our first stop in Scotland. The host welcomed us with a smile. The house appears to be designed to squeeze in maximum beds. I found the room smaller than expected. Our room overlooked a farm at the rear, quite a pleasant sight on a sunny day. The en-suite bath was really small. Breakfast was OK. We had better hospitality experience further on during our travel through Scotland.

Room Tip: Room at the rear was quieter and had a small window opening to a farm.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
hi! We are pleased that overall you enjoyed your one night stay. Our B&B is a traditional converted Edinburgh house and all the rooms are not the same size. At the time you booked you had a choice of a more spacious Twin or Double. You chose the standard Twin room.
Thank you for your review and we would welcome you again should you come back to Edinburgh.
Regards
Saarbrucken, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

This was our stay in scotland. we were really happy here. it was no problem to arrive late in the evening. we got a good recomendation for a restaurant. the room was small but we missed anything. breakfast was really good.bus stop next to the b&b.thanks

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Panos T
Hello, We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that Scotland is now one of your favourite holiday destinations. We will see you next time!
Thanks
Wassenberg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Neil was an example of what good Scottish hospitably is about, nothing was too much trouble for him. I stayed there for 3 nights on my own whilst visiting my uncle who was celebrating his 90th birthday. The breakfasts were very tasty and there was a good selection of food to chose from. I would certainly stay there again,

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Jacynth C
BraeLodge, Owner at Brae Lodge Guest House, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Hi Jacynth....Thank you for the great review! We are glad that you enjoyed our Scottish hospitality. Your comments about breakfast made Lesley smile :-)
See you next time. Neil & Lesley
Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Unable to get a second night at hotel I had been in and booked in here as it was first I came across. I felt price was a bit steep as more than I had paid the previous night for hotel with pool and spa but was too tired to look elsewhere. Inside seemed fine but once inside room I was a bit dissapointed, anaglypta painted wallpaper and a tiny tiny TV high up on the wall. Never mind, I thought only for one night. After just an hour I found myself wheezing (have asthma and sensitive breathing) room didn't smell damp but don't think it had been aired well enough. Had to open window for fresh air and seven though it was blowing a gale outside I had to sleep like this to help me breath. Woke up through night freezing as heating must have been on timer and non way I could turn it on(didn't heat up till 7am)
Made myself a coffee but milk was old and lumps visible so unable to have a drink.

Have to say in morning went down early to get out of room quick as I could and breathing improved immediately away from the bedroom. Breakfast was lovely with home made scones which was a lovely touch. Owner friendly too so this changed my view a good bit as not all bad but for me personally in future I will stick to hotels. For the price I paid compared to price paid for really clean, comfortable and cosy room I had the previous night at Kings Manor, best western this was really poor value.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Braeman, Owner at Brae Lodge Guest House, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Hello Lynn - Thanks for the review on your stay. I would like to discuss some of the points you made...
We are a competitively priced B&B and we would never compare ourselves with a branded hotel chain in both price and facilities such as a pool (I wish!) In fact we gave you a cheaper price than the hotel you previously stayed at, (their website is very clear on single rates) and we include full breakfast, free WiFi and free parking. We also upgraded you to a Double room suitable for 2 persons.
I am sorry that you experienced an uncomfortable night in the room. Our rooms are aired daily, we have non-allergenic pillows/duvets and unlike the hotel you stayed at before we do not allow pets. Most problems can be solved if brought to our attention and as you said we are "friendly" and would have tried to help given the opportunity.
Sorry about the milk in the room this was a crossover mistake with new/old stock we will improve our stock control in the future (ie I will read the labels properly!)..
Lesley, my wife, says thank you for the compliment about her breakfast and her homemade scones.

Thank you.