“Clean and cheap”
Review of The Hostel

The Hostel
Ranked #88 of 215 Specialty Lodging in Edinburgh
Reviewed August 28, 2010

This hostel is about 15 minutes walk from Waverley Station and the Royal Mile. It's very clean and quiet and the staff were efficient and friendly. Unfortunately those are the only good points I can think of. We stayed in a 16-bed dorm so full of bunks we could barely move between them with backpacks. You could feel every spring in the bed and hear every spring in the room, pretty much ruling out sleep. I'm not sure how many people shared the bathroom, but there were at least two other rooms besides our and only 2 sinks and toilets and 3 showers between us. I can't comment on the kitchen as we didn't use it, but the £1 breakfast (toast, cereal and tea/coffee) is a good option if you're not fussy and travelling on a budget. There's no space to hang out and relax and the atmosphere is rather cold and clinical, so luckily we only needed to stay one night before travelling on. I would have been disappointed if we had stayed here for the whole trip.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Hostel

Reviewed April 14, 2010

I've stayed in many hostels and this one's up there as one i'd come back to. Good location, clean and tidy and great staff, got a cool courtyard too

1  Thank racer98
Reviewed April 13, 2010

I'd like to say that after all the backpackers i've stayed at round the world, this is one of the best, not the biggest or flashiest, but great all the same, staff go out of their way for you, rooms and bathrooms are spotless and kitchen has everything you need. made my time in edinburgh brilliant.

Reviewed April 5, 2010

After organising a stag do to Edinburgh for 19 people, I looked at Westend Hostel as a cheap place to lay our alcohol-fuelled heads.

Everything went smoothly until 3 days prior to our visit when I received an e-mail informing me that we were undercharged due to an administrative error.

To my amazement they expected us to fork out an extra £10 per person per night.

With so little time to organise alternative accommodation we were unable to find any other hostel, so ludicrously had to fork out more money for the beds we had already agreed a price.

So, if you fancy staying in a place that could spontaneously up your prices then do so at your peril!!!!

1  Thank SPC1234
Reviewed March 21, 2010

My friends and i stayed here cause we saw it was cheap on the internet. Cheap price but not cheap hostel, it's really neat. looks like they are doing it up so will be sweet when finished, we're going up north but will defo stay here on the way back down, friends staff and close to the city

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 14, 2010

The WORST hostel I've seen EVER.
Disgusting and insulting managment, shouting to you as your mother. Dirty showers, dirty and non-equiped kitchen, slimy bathrooms and crowded bedrooms. The manager has lied us about the prize, changing the rates EVERY DAY depending of her convenience... a COMPLETE FRAUD!!. Not even dead I'd be there again in my life. Is better to sleep under a bridge in winter than this rat-hole.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cherrero
Reviewed August 26, 2009

Basically the worst hostel I've ever been too. The rooms are cramped, with 14 beds where you'd expect no more than 6, there is no room for bags or even to walk between the beds. The bedsheets are brown-yellow. The floor is littered with cans and bottles. The showers are brown-coloured, mouldy so that you are actually more dirty after you've stepped in the shower than before. There was even some kind of disgusting goo on the edge of the shower. Showers and toilets never washed in the three days I spent there. Also, staff always make you feel like you're interrupting them in the middle of something important like boozing in the middle of the day or playing video-games. Breakfast is minimal even though you have to pay extra for it. Prepare to fight with the other residents to get some toast or even a seat in the tiny lounge. Also, it seems that the staff's idea of a joke is to blare their favourite dance music loud (actually three songs over and over again) during breakfast just when you want a quiet time. BE CAREFUL: NOT RELIABLE ON BOOKING. At all. In a word, don't go there unless you really have to, and if you do, ask your doctor for a typhoid shot before you go.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends