Premier Inn Edinburgh East Hotel
$100
$94
$565
  • Restaurant
All reviewscity centrebeefeater restaurantlady nairneadjoining beefeaterwillowbrae roadmeal deala short bus rideon arrivalfamily roomholyrood parkcomfy bedtwo nightsfollowing morningday ticketreception staffroom was spotlesseasy access
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Stayed here in January the night before attending an event at Our Dynamic Earth. Arrived at around 8pm having got the train up from Newcastle to Edinburgh! I had originally booked to stay here because of the complimentary car park available however I changed my plans and decided to take the train and get a taxi from the train station which cost £5. When I arrived I thought it was quite run down and not what I would expect of a premier inn however it was in the process of being refurbished. The staff on the front desk were very friendly and more than happy to help. The room itself was clean, modern and well laid out however I found the room very cold! The radiator was not good enough to heat the room and I found it quite cold in the night. Another complaint would be you are not allowed to turn the tv volume past a certain point, I do understand that this is to prevent disturbing fellow guests however I thought the maximum volume was not loud enough, that combined with the annoyingly low position of the TV itself I ended up watching DVDs on my laptop (which was louder that the TV!!!) The hotel itself is in a good location. i walked from the hotel to our dynamic earth and it took me roughly 20 minutes and it is a very nice walk in, if a little hilly at times! Overall not the best stay I have had in a Premier inn and if I am back in Edinburgh I probably won't stay there again but it served its purpose very well for me!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Excellent Hotel, Great value for money. Staff are really, really helpful. You can not really go wrong here, Decent beef eaters attached just walk downstairs. Not far from city center, but far enough that its not too busy. The hotel is well decorated. I love staying at premier Inns as i know what to expect and for the money you pay, you get a good nights sleep. This Edinburgh East hotel up holds that reputation. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 10, 2013

At over £60 a night I feel it is too expensive for sleeping in a room. The staff are very helpful and friendly and the room was comfortable. I had a bit of a problem with the heating in the room. I have travelled quite a bit in the USA and they at least supply a small breakfast with thier lowest priced rooms.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 6, 2013

When we arrived we entered the car park and drove to the back of the building to park the car. It was clear that there were some refurbishment happening as there were plenty of workmen and vans about. We were early so left our car in the car park and ventured into the city by bus (bus stop straight outside).

After our day in Edinburgh, we returned to the Premier Inn and smoothly checked in. The staff were friendly. We were located on the second floor looking out onto an extractor fan and other rooms opposite. As mentioned in another post, the extractor fan was noisy, however it was off during the night but back on in the morning when breakfast was being prepared. We managed to sleep well as it wasn't on when we were going to sleep and were awake fairly early to continue our travels, otherwise we would have asked to change rooms.

Early evening, we went to see friends and then returned to the hotel and had food at the beefeater restaurant about an hour before they closed. We had the two course meal deal which was good. We didn't have breakfast so I can't comment on this.

Overall, our stay was good and definitely value for money.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 5, 2013

As you will see from my previous hotel and restaurant reviews, I am pretty generous on my appraisal of hotel and restaurant services, however on this occasion I feel that we have experienced a situation that is very rare in chain hotels. I cannot comprehend the recent decent reviews of this hotel. The below is an accurate appraisal and I invite the Hotel manager or indeed head office to contact me.
I picked the Premier Inn as it was very close to a nearby golf club where we were attending a 60th birthday party, Booking in for 2 nights.
On arrival we were met by a very friendly and welcoming receptionist, however, checking in took 0ver 15 minutes although all was in place. We were directed to our room 101, which we were politely told was just up the stairs to the left, when it was in fact a treck up and down 50 steps, through corridors which had not been properly cleaned full of corner dust. I will point out that this PI has recently had a partial refit, but management should check the dust in corners by room doors and in the corridors. Outside our room were 2 wide pieces of cord which were still there when we vacated 2 days later. However on the contrary, our room was large smart, new and very clean, my only objection being the set volume of the television was extremely low, rendering it impossible to clearly hear,
NOW comes the disgraceful bit. THE ADJOINING RESTAURANT "BEEFEATER"
We decided to have a late lunch and a drink prior to relaxing after a long drive. I ordered fish and chips and my wife ordered wraps with chips.
My fish was of a variety that I had never seen, and was wafer thin and totally tasteless, and my wifes wraps had hard corners, proof that they had not been freshly made. Should have complained but did not think on this occasion it would be worth the effort, especially as the bar area were we met was also in total need of a clean. I had also booked breakfast for the next 2 mornings. Here starts another tale. The breakfast restaurant was full and the breakfasts were plated to order, not buffet style. One waitress, one in the kitchen and a very hard working manager, who is obviously under instructions on staffing. No side plates available even when requested. We were lucky we were not in a hurry and got our full English within 30 minutes. Yes 30 minutes. A family of 4 next to us had their order taken after being forgotten for a full 20 minutes. When we had finished our breakfast they had not received theirs. The breakfast though was of a decent standard. I am generally a Holiday Inn client of all standards, and have now experienced the difference between the two chains. I have stayed in Premier Inns before, some being exceptional, however head office should take a look at this unit with objective criticism .

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, request a ground floor room, unless you are very fit and don't have too much luggage.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Edinburgh East Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Many thanks for your review. It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay. We sincerely apologise that on this occasion our hotel failed to meet your expectations. Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve standards. Please could you email your booking details to talktous@premierinn.com so we can investigate further. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.