Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 (Newcraighall) Hotel
Ranked #28 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Gateshead, United Kingdom
“Perfect”
Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here two nights weekend before Xmas.

Location if your not in the centre of Edinburgh is perfect, good pub next door and a train station opposite which goes directly into Edinburgh with only one stop it's right next to the A1 for easy access and escape.

Recently refurbished the room was a more than ample size bed very comfortable and bathroom very good.

If I wasn't staying in the centre of Edinburgh and coming from the south by car I doubt you will find a better package.

I love my weekends in Edinburgh and usually stay in the centre but this has put a real spanner in the works as I enjoyed the whole weekend so much.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank steve_wylam
MargaretAuld, General Manager at Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 (Newcraighall) Hotel, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Hi Steve,

Thank you so much for writing your review. I am so glad to hear that you were happy with our newly refurbished rooms and the service you received while staying with us. Sorry to put a spanner in the works but we are thrilled that we have turned your head. :) I hope that you will come back to stay with us again soon.

Have a Merry Christmas and all the best in the new year.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Polish first
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Stayed here at the beginning of December to visit the Edinburgh Christmas Markets.
The hotel is right opposite the local train station and is on a main frequent bus route so getting in to town is no bother at all.
The hotel has clearly been recently refurbished to a very good standard and the rooms were clean, spacious and comfy.
The front desk staff were happy to help in all ways possible. They offered train and bus timetables to help us getting to and from Edinburgh and had excellent local knowledge which made our stay enjoyable.
This hotel is excellent for families. The room was big enough for the three of us, the cot was in good order and was clean, and with clean bedding for our little one.
We were given a room on the ground floor which made our stay a lot easier.
We cant say enough good things about this place and would recommend it to people looking to visit Edinburgh

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
I really appreciate you taking the time to write such a wonderful review. I am thrilled to hear such positive comments regarding our staff and also our new rooms. If in future you would like to stay on the ground floor again, please feel free to give us a call and we will ensure you are put in to a room that suits your needs and ensures ease throughout your stay. I agree that having the rain station just across the road is so handy. Great for trips to edinburgh without the hassle of parking.

We hope to welcome you and your family back to Newcraighall in the near future.

Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

As I commute to Musselburgh for work, whenever there is a night out planned I love staying at this Premier Inn. The staff are always so helpful - offering to call for taxis & ever mindful of a lone female guest's security. I was pleased to find the rooms refurbished since my last stay & it now has a boutique hotel feel which would cost you at least 3x what I paid for this stay.
I booked for breakfast, which is served in The Cuddie Brae next door, and again had great service with items being cooked to order so completely fresh.
Trains into town are a five minute walk so convenient without the hassle of being in the centre, especially if have car as parking is no trouble at this location. Also close to Fort Kinnaird retail park if need a few forgotten items.
All in all, a great place to stay!

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank jeni_jobby
Hi Jeni,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. I'm glad you like our newly refurbished rooms. I agree they really do have a great feel to them. You are right, we are always very aware of our guests security and needs and do all that we can to ensure each of our guests is safe and happy. I will be sure to pass on your lovely comments to the Cuddie Brae and my reception staff. We look forward to seeing you again for your next night out!

Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I took my wife & 2 kids to Edinburgh last weekend as they had never been to Scotland before & upon arrival on Friday teatime we were all pleasantly surprised by firstly the friendly gentleman who booked us in & supplied us with all the inrmation required to get around Edinburgh. Secondly was the room...Wow !

I firstly spotted the big TV on the wall which is fantastic, I was also expecting a pull out sofa for the kids but found 2 single beds in which the kids slept soundly so they must be comfortable.

The mood lighting above the double bed was a nice touch & the shower was excellent, nice & powerful which you dont get very often in a hotel.

We were woken up by a fire alarm at 7:30 on the Saturday morning which wasn't a problem as it saved me an hours hassle trying to get the kids out of their comfy beds.

We went in to Edinburgh via train on the Saturday & the station is a 2 minute walk from the hotel, added bonus that the kids went free as well..

Still can't believe that another of the guests was complaining about the alarm going off but fair play to the gentleman on reception who dealt with it very professionally where others would have told him where to get off!

I would also like to add that all the staff were fantastic, friendly & very helpful & the breakfast was lovely.

We had a meal in the pub next door on the Saturday night & it was spot on.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone & we will definitely be going back.

Room Tip: Although there is a railway line behind the hotel i never heard one in the 2 days we were there so a...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
MargaretAuld, General Manager at Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 (Newcraighall) Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Hi Steve,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your wonderful review. I am so pleased that you like our newly refurbished rooms. I agree, the televisions are amazing and the mood lighting around the bed gives the room a nice homely feel to it. I am sorry that you experienced a fire evacuation during your stay but I am thankful for your understanding. We always put our guests safety first and so any indication that there may be a fire must be taken seriously. It is lovely to hear that you were so pleased with our staff and I will be sure to pass on your comments to them and the staff in the Cuddie Brae next door.

I hope your family had a wonderful time during their first trip to Edinburgh and may there be many more. We hope to see you at Newcraighall again in the near future.

Manchester
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Clean room and excellent service. The Brewers Fayre next door did very good breakfasts. Also a Park and Ride just around the corner where you can get to Edinburgh by train or bus. The racecourse is 9 minutes away by car.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Reuben,

Thanks for taking the time to write your review. I am so glad you had a very positive experience while staying with us. I agree, the train station across the road is very handy for trips in to Edinburgh City centre. 8 minutes and you are there! I will be sure to pass on your comments to our housekeeping team and also the Cuddie Brae next door. We hope to welcome you back to Newcraighall in the future.

Newcastle Upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights with the family so we could visit Edinburgh Christmas markets, light night etc. The staff were great, let us check into our room at 11.30! Rooms have recently been refurbished they are better than some 4* hotels we have stayed in. Nice big comfy bed, the mood lighting was a nice touch and the 2 single beds for kids was a bonus (I expected a pull out sofa bed for them to share). TV was huge & shower was powerful. The room was cleaned, towels changed and milk & coffees replenished while we were out. We ate at the cuddie brae for both breakfast & evening meals. We hadn't booked a table on either evening but they managed to squeeze us in. We did wait a while for food but it was really busy and the food was worth the wait. Kids were kept entertained by colouring in their childrens menus while we sat and had a few drinks :) Weekend break was enjoyed by all and I will be booking another trip soon.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
MargaretAuld, General Manager at Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 (Newcraighall) Hotel, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
Hello Mrs Kay,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your wonderful review. I am so thrilled to hear you were so pleased with your experience with us and loved our newly refurbished rooms. I agree, the showers are fantastic and the big televisions make such a difference. The lighting really does give a nice homely feeling to the room and I am happy to hear you appreciated it. Our housekeeping team work very hard to ensure the rooms are cleaned and maintained to the highest standard and I will be sure to pass on your comments to them. I will also pass on your lovely comments to the Cuddie Brae next door as I am sure they will be delighted with your feedback. We look forward to your return to Newcraighall in the near future.

Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

My wife & I stayed 4 nights here.
The hotel has received a update with new decor freshening up the previous corporate look.
Everything was as it should be the rooms were clean & had everything required the beds were comfy bathrooms worked with plenty of hot water & always lots of clean white towels.
A nice touch is the way the shower current is curved so that it doesn't cling while in use. Simple but it shows someone is thinking about the small details.
The hotel was quiet despite being on a busy road junction and by a railway.
The staff on reception were always cautious I can't comment about the breakfast as we never partook.
Getting into Edinburgh easy via either a short (20 min in rush hour) car journey or take the train from just across the road into Edinburgh Waverly was 12 min and just £3.20 return off peak. Ideal for an evening in the city.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Rodders27
MargaretAuld, General Manager at Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 (Newcraighall) Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Rodders27

Thanks for taking the time to write your review. Im glad you liked the refurbishment and the new rooms. Here at Newcraighall we always try to go that extra mile even with the small details and its nice to see they are being noticed. Im happy you found travelling around so easy, I agree the train is very handy and affordable.
We hope to see you again soon,

Dean