“Everything about it was Premier!”

Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 (Newcraighall) Hotel
Ranked #47 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights with the family so we could visit Edinburgh Christmas markets, light night etc. The staff were great, let us check into our room at 11.30! Rooms have recently been refurbished they are better than some 4* hotels we have stayed in. Nice big comfy bed, the mood lighting was a nice touch and the 2 single beds for kids was a bonus (I expected a pull out sofa bed for them to share). TV was huge & shower was powerful. The room was cleaned, towels changed and milk & coffees replenished while we were out. We ate at the cuddie brae for both breakfast & evening meals. We hadn't booked a table on either evening but they managed to squeeze us in. We did wait a while for food but it was really busy and the food was worth the wait. Kids were kept entertained by colouring in their childrens menus while we sat and had a few drinks :) Weekend break was enjoyed by all and I will be booking another trip soon.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
MargaretAuld, General Manager at Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 (Newcraighall) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2013

Hello Mrs Kay,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your wonderful review. I am so thrilled to hear you were so pleased with your experience with us and loved our newly refurbished rooms. I agree, the showers are fantastic and the big televisions make such a difference. The lighting really does give a nice homely feeling to the room and I am happy to hear you appreciated it. Our housekeeping team work very hard to ensure the rooms are cleaned and maintained to the highest standard and I will be sure to pass on your comments to them. I will also pass on your lovely comments to the Cuddie Brae next door as I am sure they will be delighted with your feedback. We look forward to your return to Newcraighall in the near future.

Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

My wife & I stayed 4 nights here.
The hotel has received a update with new decor freshening up the previous corporate look.
Everything was as it should be the rooms were clean & had everything required the beds were comfy bathrooms worked with plenty of hot water & always lots of clean white towels.
A nice touch is the way the shower current is curved so that it doesn't cling while in use. Simple but it shows someone is thinking about the small details.
The hotel was quiet despite being on a busy road junction and by a railway.
The staff on reception were always cautious I can't comment about the breakfast as we never partook.
Getting into Edinburgh easy via either a short (20 min in rush hour) car journey or take the train from just across the road into Edinburgh Waverly was 12 min and just £3.20 return off peak. Ideal for an evening in the city.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Rodders27
MargaretAuld, General Manager at Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 (Newcraighall) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Dear Rodders27

Thanks for taking the time to write your review. Im glad you liked the refurbishment and the new rooms. Here at Newcraighall we always try to go that extra mile even with the small details and its nice to see they are being noticed. Im happy you found travelling around so easy, I agree the train is very handy and affordable.
We hope to see you again soon,

Dean
Night Manager

Reviewed November 18, 2013

This hotel situated off the Edinburgh bypass and a short walk from the railway station. Edinburgh City centre is just 10 minutes away.
The rooms are large and very comfortable, with large flat screen television. Staff are very helpful and efficient.
The on sight restaurant has an extensive menu serving excellent food.
We've stayed here a few times and find it very enjoyable.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
MargaretAuld, General Manager at Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 (Newcraighall) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Hello Doug,

Thanks for taking the time to write your review. We have recently had a full refurbishment so I am glad you like our new rooms. I also love the new televisions. I'm pleased to hear your positive comments regarding our staff. Here at Newcraighall we have a wonderful team who are always happy to go that extra mile for our guests. I will also be sure to pass on your lovely comments to the Cuddie Brae restaurant next door as they appreciate all feedback. We hope to welcome you back to Newcraighall soon.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Very polite and friendly staff, was always giving a warm welcome. Only downfall was the shower wasn't very good but room standard was good otherwise. Would stay there again. I've always stayed with premier inn for weekends away or short breaks.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Hi Lauren,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. I am thrilled to hear you were so pleased with our staff. We always aim to provide our guests with the very best customer service. We look forward to welcoming you back to Newcraighall in the near future.

Duty Manager

Reviewed November 11, 2013

I think this one has been refurbed - my room was very fresh - looked newly done. Getting fed up of looking at that weird picture of trees or whatever they are, so refreshing to see a slightly different style (and different pics).

Room was very comfortable, bathroom was excellent with a very good shower. Big flat screen TV too which was nice.

I was in room 16 which wasn't that far from the lifts, but it was very quiet. Had a very good nights sleep.

Food next door at the Table Table was very good. Felt sorry for one of the waitresses - there was a mix up with my main course. I was being miserable about it initially, until I realised it was a genuine mistake. Very apologetic, though not the waitresses fault. Wouldn't put me off as mistakes do happen.

Location very good for the A1.

More parking than there looks as you can use the parking by the restaurant too.

Friendly staff in the hotel and the restaurant.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
MargaretAuld, General Manager at Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 (Newcraighall) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Hello Kevin,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. Yes, you are correct, we have had our hotel refurbished recently. I am so pleased that you like our new rooms. I am sorry to hear there was a slight misunderstanding in the Cuddie Brae bar & restaurant next door but I am happy that this was soon recified.

We hope to see you again at Newcraighall in the near future.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

what a perfect example of how a Premier Inn should be. Where do I begin?

The Rooms: The room we had was huge, was recently refurbished and finished to a very high standard. It would of looked at home at a 4/5* resort. What can only be described as a deep clean every day by housekeeping kept it spotless.
The wall mounted TV was incredible. Absolutely massive (not sure on size, but it sure beats the 17" you get elsewhere)
Our room overlooked the railway line, and whilst some people complain, we were not bothered at all. The double glazing more than compensates for the train.
The room had air conditioning.

The Hotel: Very clean and tidy in all public areas. There isn't much to this hotel, but that's part of the charm of the place. A small, intimate reception awaits you on the other side of the main door. Well lit, and there was always a bubbly, happy and very friendly person sitting at the reception desk offering a genuine 'Hello' as you walked past. The staff are very knowledgeable and no request seemed too much for them.
There is no restaurant within the hotel itself, however it is attached to the Cuddie Brae Pub/Restaurant.
If you opt for the Premier Inn breakfast it is served in the pub. A wide selection of choice awaits diners as they are seated for breakfast. The hot breakfast option, is actually freshly prepared for you. Whereas most hotels offer a hot buffet, this place takes your order when you are seated.
The dinner service as this restaurant was fantastic, with a wide range of options available.

The Hotel are also very happy for you to order a takeaway to your room, and can recommend a few local treats (those new to Scotland must try Black Pudding and Deep Fried Mars Bars)

All in all, I can honestly say this is the BEST Premier Inn I have ever stayed at, and recommend ANYONE wishing to visit Edinburgh to stay here.
The hotel is a 2 minute walk across the road to the Newcraighall Train Station. This branch line services Edinburgh Haymarket every 30 minutes.

Room Tip: A family room is what we had. Don't be put off by the rooms overlooking the railway - you won...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your wonderful, in depth review. I am so glad to hear your positive thoughts on our new refurbishment. I agree, the new TVs are fantastic as is the new room design.

I am also pleased to hear your satisfaction with the cleanliness of our hotel. Our housekeepers work incredibly hard to ensure the whole hotel is immaculate for our guests and it is always nice to hear this is appreciated.

Our staff are always here to help guests with every little request they have and I am happy that you felt this during your stay.

I will be sure to pass on your comments to the Cuddie Brae next door and we can't wait to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Chose this hotel for an overnight stay whilst attending a course. It was excellent value for money, staff were very friendly and attentive and the room and bathroom were exceptionally clean. I was able to park at the front door. Had considered the George Hotel in Edinburgh but with no parking and three times the cost if the premier inn for a quick overnight stay I decided against it. I realise it's not luxury accommodation or food but it was warm, comfortable, very affordable and very very clean. I would definitely use them again if a similar situation arose.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

Hi Gill,

Thank you for your lovely review of our hotel. I am so happy that you were impressed with the staff and cleanliness and will be sure to feedback your comments to the staff. Our housekeepers have a very high standard when cleaning the rooms and all staff do their very best to ensure all of our guests needs are being met. We hope to have you staying with us again in the near future.