All reviewsstayed here for nightswould stay here againcomfortable bedspubsfringe
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Stayed here for one night on a business trip and the whole place looks as if it has been recently redecorated particularly the shower which was spotless. Friendly host, good breakfast and I could park the car on the street for free. Overall very good value B&B and I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here over new year so prices had been inflated to 85 pounds a night. This probably clouded my view of the b and b. At 50 a night would be very good value. The room was tiny. Bathroom ok, hot water, powerful shower but mould in the shower. Top tip; toothbrush with bleach and bicarbonate of soda would clean it a treat. Walls etc could do with a lick of paint. Plug hanging off wall. Breakfast good. About half hour walk from town. Regular busses.

• Stayed: December 2012
Neil S, Owner at Smiths' Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Like any other guest house or hotel our prices are seasonal but still come as one of the cheapest if you sort by price. That particular room is small but again this is reflected in the price.

You must also consider that if you book through a third party such as laterooms.com or booking.com or indeed Tripadvisor (who receive 5% of the commission back from laterooms) then our usual direct booking price has to contain this added commission which works out at a total of 18% including the VAT. So for example if our usual direct booking price was £70 then we would have to charge £85.

I wish it was as simple as bicarbonate of soda and bleach. The problem is shower sealant. We buy the expensive stuff guaranteed against mould for years but what ever brand we buy every 12 months the showers still have to be resealed. I suppose it’s because they are not in a domestic situation and are used 24/7. It takes 24 hours for silicon sealant to fully set and become water proof so you have to allow a minimum of 2 days if you include time to do the job so the only time we can do these important maintenance jobs is during December and January when we are quiet.

Every year over the winter months the whole guest house is painted top to bottom and all of the showers are resealed which I’m pleased to report is now complete for this year.

I wish you also had of mentioned the plug to me so I could fix it immediately but it is now fixed.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

We stayed here whilst on a Christmas shopping trip. Neil was friendly and helpful but the place is filthy. Our room was cramped and shabby. it should be a single room but they squeezed a double bed in. The electric socket was hanging off the walk and the soap scum and mould in the shower was horrendous. There was filth around the edges of the carpet and a layer of thick dust on top of the wardrobe where we needed to store our things due to lack of space. There wasn't even a chair in the room to sit on whilst getting dressed. When we were having breakfast (which was about the only good thing about this place) Neil stood talking to us. I just wanted to have my meal in peace. Certainly would never go back or recommend Smiths

• Stayed: December 2012

We are very surprised and saddened that you were unhappy with your stay in our B&B as you didn’t mention any negative comments during the whole time you were here else we would have addressed your concerns and done something about it like move you to a larger room which had been renovated.

We clean the rooms and the guest house in general everyday but due to the rooms being occupied for most of the year some maintenance jobs such as replacing the sealant in the showers, painting and having the carpets professionally cleaned can only be done during the quiet times of the year when the house is empty usually December and January. I’m pleased to report that over the winter months the whole guest house has been painted, showers resealed, carpets cleaned and any other outstanding maintenance jobs completed.

Most if not all of the B&Bs in the city were originally designed as family homes so some of the rooms are bigger than others. We reflect this in our prices and that particular room although small is one of the cheapest in Edinburgh.

I’m sorry that you discovered a loose plug in your room but once again you should have mentioned it to us so it could be fixed immediately particularly as you considered it to be a Health and Safety hazard. Luckily it was not dangerous as the plug was mounted in a plastic box so no wires were showing and would not come out the wall completely. This has now been fixed.

It takes two to make a conversation and during any of our chats I was not aware that you wanted to be left in peace else I would have done so.

Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend have just got back from a weekend in Edinburgh. The guest house was very easy to find and there is plenty of free parking around. It is approximately a 25 minute walk to the centre.When we arrived, our room wasn't ready however Neil made us feel very welcome and put our bags in a safe place whilst we went out to the city centre. Neil also put our bags in our room when our room was ready. We was given our own key to come and go as we please. We arrived back after a full day out at the Christmas markets. Our room was on the top floor and was one of the nicest rooms we had stayed in in a guest house. Very clean and tidy. We had no problems at all. We went down for breakfast in the morning. Moyra served us our breakfast, however she wasn't as welcoming as Neil, just put our breakfast on our table without so much as a hello. Neil did come in to the breakfast area to say hello.
Overall it was a very enjoyable stay and would stay again.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Clean and comfortable. Had a single room with my own private bathroom across the landing.
Very handy for the bus routes to Edinburgh city centre. Busses every few few minutes and
a short trip into town. Missed breakfast but it smelled lovely coming up the stairs. I would book
Smith's again