All reviewsstayed here for nightswould stay here againcomfortable bedspubsfringe
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Clean and comfortable. Had a single room with my own private bathroom across the landing.
Very handy for the bus routes to Edinburgh city centre. Busses every few few minutes and
a short trip into town. Missed breakfast but it smelled lovely coming up the stairs. I would book
Smith's again

Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 28, 2012

My boyfriend and I (22 and 25 years old) stayed here on Friday 4th November 2011, I have only just remembered to write a review. We had chosen the smith's guest house from late rooms, which was £50 for the night with breakfast included. We were going through to Edinburgh from Glasgow for the James Morrison concert that night, however due to James being ill, the concert was cancelled and rescheduled, however as it was short notice we could not cancel the booking at Smith's so decided to go through anyway and have a night out in Edinburgh!

**First impressions**
Our first impressions was that it was easy to find, right on Mayfield Road and I parked my car just off Mayfield road, to the right of Smith's. My car was fine, quite a tight street but got parked fine. We then proceeded to go in, and were met by a very cheery Neil. We were then told that our room would be ready soon and if we wanted to leave our luggage in the lounge, it would be taken up for us. We were in an en-suite double room, can't remember which number now but it was up both sets of stairs. We left our luggage with Neil and went a walk into the centre of Edinburgh, which was about a 25-30 minute walk. We had to ask people for directions as it is not entirely clear if you dont know Edinburgh but we found it fine and went round the shops before coming back around 5 to get showered and read to go out.

**The room**
Our room, although on the small side, was clean and warm. We had a large double bed, with a TV, chest of drawers and chair, wardrobe and en suite bathroom. The shower was great, really warm with great power. We were also given a tea/coffee making facility in the room and some soap/shower gel products. When we were leaving to go out, Neil told us that there was no curfew, that our room key had a key for the front door on it so we could let ourselves in whenever we came back. That was quite good I thought. The bed was reasonably comfortable and there was no noise from Mayfield road.

**Departure**
In the morning, we skipped breakfast as we both had a hangover and couldn't stomach breakfast. I believe it is a cooked breakfast with sausage bacon eggs etc so that is good that it is included in the price. We also met the couple's dog Torin when we were checking out. If you're frightened of dogs, dont worry he stays downstairs with the couple and they will only bring him out if you ask. We wanted to see him as we both love dogs. He is HUGE!!! very playful!

**Overall thoughts**
This was a great place to stay for our night out in Edinburgh. Quiet, clean warm and friendly. Perfect for single people as well who perhaps have a meeting in Edinburgh early and want to stay the night before. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone who wants a cheap friendly place to stay whilst in Edinburgh, and although outside the city centre, this is probably a good thing as prices rocket the further into Edinburgh city centre you go!!

Would absolutely go back.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nikki g
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Can only endorse what the previous reviewer wrote. Warm, comfortable & friendly B & B 20 / 30 minutes walk to town or bus at door. Plenty of pubs, restaurants & cafes near by, with a host who will supply recomendations. Breakfast well above average - good selection of serials, excellent museli & a selection of fruits, prunes etc., then comes the full english - bacon, sausage, beans, mushrooms tomatos, toast & as much tea / coffee as you can drink.
For a price of a single room for one night in September - £30 - superb. In a street full of hotels / B & Bs this was the only one with a 'No Vacancies' sign on display - speaks for itself.

Room Tip: Back of the house if road noise disturbs you.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed during the edinburgh festival for 2 nights. The prices were raised to £80 per night for 2 people but it was still cheaper than most places. Located about 20 minutes walk out of town which wasn't ideal but regular busses from right outside meant that this wasn't a problem. Mr smith was very friendly and torin the dog was amazing.. Like a big cuddly teddy :) our room was big and very clean, shower facilities were great and we didn't really have anything to complain about except the slight dog smell about the corridors which I'm used to anyway as I have a dog.would definitely return! Thanks for a great visit!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Stayed here few nights with my family and had lovely experience. They have lovely cosy rooms, the service was fantastic and owners are friendly and helpful. This is a good part of Edinburgh experience. We would love to stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family