“festival rip off”

Euro Hostel Edinburgh Halls
Ranked #170 of 218 Specialty Lodging in Edinburgh
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Im in Edinburgh on business, this is student halls of residence re marketed to cash in on festival and tourists.

I paid through easyjet £80 a night( room only) shocker, the festival has forced prices through the roof.
Shared shower. room grubby dust on ledges .No tv, not even a wash basin in room.Towels.....extra?? Not even a mattress protector on the bed, disgusting.

Im looking now for any holel for a £100 to get out of here, in a moment but there is nothing about due to festival.

Its worth about £20 a night in real world

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Gordon_Anthony86, General Manager at Euro Hostel Edinburgh Halls, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Hi stunty, thanks for taking the time to review our Hostel on Trip Advisor. I am sorry to hear of your experience with us.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Stayed here as I was looking for somewhere cheap and central during the Fringe.

Location wise, the Euro Hostel is superb - just off Cowgate, and a minute's walk from Grassmarket, so there's plenty of cafes and pubs to go to. However, the location is also a downside - you're right next door to The Three SIsters pub, which is a great little pub but it's noisy and so you'll have the soundtrack of a party going on till the wee small hours.

The room itself was very basic - a bed, a wardrobe and a desk. There wasn't even a towel, but luckily I read up on this beforehand and brought my own (towels are available from reception on request). The bed is not particularly comfortable, but I was so exhausted every night after exploring the Fringe that I had no problems sleeping.

The shared bathroom was right opposite my room, and I never found any problems with it. It was clean and the water was always hot, and I never had to wait to use it. There was also a shared kitchen, but I never used this as I ate when I was out (you're 2 minutes walk from Nicolson Street as well as Grassmarket, so there's a huge amount of choice of what to eat).

Also, I couldn't pick up a phone signal inside my room, but I could get wifi, weirdly!

The staff at reception are very friendly and helpful.

Overall, I'd probably stay here again especially as I was travelling on my own. It's probably not the place to come for a romantic break, or if you're expecting any kind of luxuries, but if you just need a bed for the night it's perfect for the price (I paid just over £100 for 3 nights, which I doubt I'd find any cheaper in the centre of Edinburgh).

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Hi John_M44, thanks for taking the time to review us after your recent stay. I am delighted to hear that you had a great stay with us and that you found our facilities, location and great rates perfect for your stay in Edinburgh. I am also glad to hear that you found our staff to be helpful and friendly. Thanks again for your review and hope I can welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed as part of a stag do and payed £45 a night mainly due to festival?! The location was ok but not the best. The showers were disgusting, with old used soap in them. The toilet seat was broken. The bed sheets were filthy and stained. There were numerous pubic hairs all around the sink area.

I like cheap and cheerful hotels, and dont mind slumming it but I should have just slept rough.

• Stayed: August 2013

Hi Scottishtraveller188, thanks for taking the time to review us after your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that you did not find the cleanliness of our rooms and communal areas far below our usual standards. Let me assure you that I will liaise with our Housekeeping team directly regarding this matter. Thank you again for your review and I am sorry again that you did not enjoy your stay.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

The hostel was nice and clean. Don't be overwhelmed of the very nice reception, the room and common areas does not look anything near. Really good location! Just minutes away from the Royal Miles. Wifi does not work in the room.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Hi Nils Phillip P, thanks for taking time out to review the Euro Hostel Edinburgh Halls on Trip Advisor, it sounds like you had a good stay with us here. We hope to welcome you again in the future!

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Stayed 4 nights from July 14th. Paid 18€ per night for a single room which you won't get anywhere. The accommodations is university student dormitories used as a hostel in the summer when school is not in session so basic yes and shared bathrooms which were definitely not cleaned daily. I complained about the clogged sink everyday or three days with no result. Some of the staff are friendly. There are washers and dryers on site. Superb location. 3 mins from Royal mile, 10 min from the train station, 1 min from a delightful bar brew dog serving delicious bar food and a wide variety if guest and local beers. Convenience store, ATM, museum all within 10 min walk. The compound is enclosed including the court yard so you are safe however the area is cow gate with night clubs etc so wee into the morning there is a lot of noise. All in all for the price and the location I thought it was a great deal. Euro hostel is also available in a Glasgow at €13 per night.

Room Tip: Face court yard to avoid the noise
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Hi SamanthaTrinidad, thank you for review our Hostel after your recent stay with us. Thank you for noting our excellent rates and fantastic city centre location and our close proximity to Edinburgh’s main attractions. I am sorry however that our staff did not deal with the issues you raised with them in regards to our bathroom/shower facilities – this is not a common occurrence and one I will put measure in place to avoid a repeat in the future. Thank you again for taking the time to review us and we hope to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Booked well in advance but was very unhappy with what we found. I know the hostel is usually student accommodation but at £80 a night I would have expected something a bit better. A simple room with no facilities and shared toilet / shower. Shower / Toilet had hairs in drain and pubic hairs on dried bar of soap. Advertised as Budget accommodation from £19 - don't know where that came from. Charged £20 a day to park. Know it is center of Edinburgh but come on don't rip the tourist off.

Room Tip: No lift so ask for a ground floor room if you do have to use this facility
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi Cagey_64, thank you for taking the time to review our Hostel after your recent stay. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Let me also apologise for the standard of cleanliness that you found in our facilities – let me assure you that this is far below our normal high standards. Should you wish to return in the future please contact me directly at gordona@euro-hostels.co.uk. Thanks.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Okay for the price, very basic and very basic we got. A friendly welcome but not enough attention to basic things like enough crockery e.g. A family of four need more than one bowl plate etc. this was only ever meant as a bed for the night so we didnt expect too much. However, whilst located in an ideal place for the royal mile we were also positioned in the back alleys where the night life meant no sleep for two nights on the trot, even with earplugs! The apartment was clean enough on arrival and I'm afraid the stale smell of feet and food in all of the rooms was too much to bare. back to hotels for us next time.

Room Tip: If you are a family ask in advance to be position in a quieter part of the the block if that is poss...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Hi Clare B, thank you for taking the time to review our Hostel after your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that you and your family did not have an enjoyable stay with us. First of all, I am sorry that you found your room to be too noisy however as we are a city centre Hostel we do suffer from some ambient street level noise. I am also sorry of the off-putting smell in your rooms let me assure you that this is far below our accepted standards. I am sorry again that you did not enjoy your stay however thank you again for sharing your review on Trip Advisor.