“Great staff, basic accommodation”

Euro Hostel Edinburgh Halls
Ranked #168 of 217 Specialty Lodging in Edinburgh
Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

Let me say first off that the staff are lovely, friendly and always happy to go the extra mile to help or answer a question - very refreshing in such a large,cheap hostel. Also good to note as we were there over the Fringe so they were very busy.

Rooms are very small and basic. No mirror so be warned - if you want to do makeup or hair in your room BYO! Only one pillow provided (not a problem for me but my friend had neck ache!) Towels are free and you can get them on check in from reception. Plenty of plug sockets which was good.

Apartments are biiiig - about 10-12 rooms to every one. Big kitchen/diners with lots of seating and crockery/cutlery too.

Bathrooms are hit and miss - the one closest to our room had a broken shower head dodgy shower door. We used another one obviously but was a shame we couldn't use the closest to us. They are all cleaned daily and well stocked with loo roll but note they don't provide hand soap.

Fab location on Cowgate and not too noisy considering where it is based.

Was really frustrated that the numerous irons they have available from reception were unable to be located the entire time we were there. If I had known they would never be able to find them (not checked out properly) I would have gone out and bought a trsvel iron on day one. Limited my clothing choice which was frustrating.

All in all would stay again - is great for the price, can imagine it being brilliant if you're in a big party as you could all be in the same apartment.

Would definitely stay again:-)

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank blondiesurf
Gordon_Anthony86, General Manager at Euro Hostel Edinburgh Halls, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Hi blondiesurf, thanks for reviewing us here at the Euro Hostel. It sounds like you had an excellent stay with us.
I would like to say first off that we strive hard to offer excellent customer service to our guests and it is always pleasing to hear that being recognised by our guests.
Thank you for noting our excellent central location and spacious apartments however I am sorry that you found our rooms small. I also apologise for the minor details we seem to fall short, i.e. lack of irons and broken shower. We are always looking to improve so will take these on board to ensure that we do not repeat these next season.
Thanks again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you again!

Reviewed August 27, 2012

Overall, we were extremely happy with the accommodation at this euro hostel. The staff were really friendly and the rooms were clean and roomy! The hostel is located in the centre of the city which is ideal for walking to all places in around Edinburgh.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank AldoM009

Hi AldoM009, thanks for taking the time out to review our Hostel. It sounds like you had a great stay with us in Edinburgh! I am delighted to hear that you found our Hostel clean, spacious and our staff friendly.
Thanks again for your review and we hope to welcome you again in the future!

Reviewed August 10, 2012

Remember at all times this is student accommodation that serves as a hostel out of term time. Therefore you get a single or twin room, ie a single with an extra bed in it. so restricted room, and you share a kitchen and bathrooms. My group consisted of four adults and 20, 17 to 19 year olds who were performing in the Fringe Festival. Therefore we had two apartments between us.

On the positive side the apartment was clean a bit worse for wear but it is student accomodation after all, however all of the corridors had just been fitted with new carpets.And the location could not be better for us.

On the negative side our kitchen for 12 people had 2 frying pans, 5 saucepans one with alid and no oven ware and our second apartment had 1 frying pan less saucepans, no ovenware and only enough cutlery for three people.
We were not issued with towels for all of our party when we arrived, we had to request them when we discovered they were not in the rooms.
A pre booked parking place which had been requested was not available so we had to park our vehicle in an NCP car park a ten minute walk away from the hostel and at a cost of £19.99 a day, we were staying for a week.After two days we were allowed to park the van in the car park but as a place was not available it was parked underneath the arch of the entrance.These are annoying problems but were dealt with by our group.

However one aspect that we cannot come to terms with is the lack of privacy from some of the staff as an example, on the second night we were all in the living area talking through the evening ahead when we heard someone opening the drawers one by one in the kitchen area, this was strange as all of my group were around me, it was one of the receptionists who had let herself in, one of my students asked if he could help and was ignored so I asked if we could help her and she asked if we had a corkscrew, when we indicated no she just left. This is something I will be taking further with the company as it is unnacceptable.

Room Tip: Be very aware of what you are paying for, if you do not fill an apartment you will be sharing with o...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank kroy1
Reviewed July 18, 2012

The hostels staff is very helpful and friendly, the rooms are clean and the hostel has a perfect location right in the heart of Edinburgh. If you can, aks for a room out to the back of the building, there are a couple of pubs on the street which can be quite noisy at times. But it's a city after all, isn't it? ;)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo

Hi J K, thanks for taking the time out to review the Euro Hostel Edinburgh Halls on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to hear that you found our Hostel to be clean, affordable and to have an excellent location within the centre of Edinburgh.
I assume you found your original room a tad noisy however I am happy to hear that our staff were able to rectify this for you to your liking.
Thanks again for reviewing our hostel and we hope to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

GOOD: Clean bedrooms and bathrooms. Single bedroom with a small desk and wardrobe. Very silent.
BAD: The girls at reception where not very friendly and didn't know any other language besides english - we had to help them talking to some spanish girls. I'd assume that anyone working in a touristic place would have to know some basic spanish at least. My bed was really soft - I could feel the wires below it. Ended up leaving my mattress on the floor.

Would recomend looking for some other place. The location is good, but not amazing - it could be scary at night if I wasn't with my boyfriend most of the time.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Hi elisa v, thanks for taking the time out to review us on Trip Advisor. First of all let me express surprise that you found our front desk staff to be rude. Our customer service is an area that we not only pride ourselves on but receive very positive feedback. To speak Spanish is not a job requirement to work in our Hostel unfortunately however I do take on board your comments for the future. I am sorry that you found our mattresses to be uncomfortable however our staff would have been more than happy to help you if you had reported this to them.
I am delighted to hear that you found our bedrooms clean, comfortable and quiet. Thank you again for taking the time to review us and I am sorry again that you did not find our Hostel to your liking.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

Don't be fooled by the "apartment" description. This is still a hostel, and the door to our "apartment" was left propped open by a trash can nearly every day, first by the plumbing repair personnel, and then by the hostel staff every day after that as our apt. had several storage closets of things they needed to access (towels, small appliances, etc.). Our reservation was not fulfilled correctly, in spite of months of advance notice and pre-arrival "confirmation". We were consistently promised and paid for all single rooms in non-shared apartments for all, only to be told upon arrival that we had double rooms in multiple shared apartments. There is construction going on in the front and late night bar noise from the back, so we could really only sleep between 3 and 8 a.m. Of course, construction won't be permanent, but the bar noise, lack of security, and incorrect reservations probably will be. I gave a 3 star rating because the hostel seemed to be very clean and the common/ kitchen areas were great. However, I will not be bringing our group back next year as I need a hostel that delivers on the promised and paid for reservation and takes security more seriously.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank TylerDurden23

Hi TylerDurden23, thanks you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am sorry that you had a less than satisfactory experience with us. I am sorry that there appeared to be some mix-up with your reservation with us and that you did not receive the accommodation you expected upon your arrival. I am surprised to hear that you found our security arrangements to be in such a relaxed manner as this is normally an area where we receive such positive feedback. I agree however that the propping open of doors in totally unacceptable and will personally take this up with our housekeeping management team. I apologise for the external noise from the bar behind the hostel and the works going on at the front. We do try and minimise this with double glazing windows and the availability of ear plugs at reception but, being a city centre hostel, we do suffer from this external noise. I am delighted however that you found the hostel to be clean and that our facilities were more than adequate for your group. Can I ask that if you are returning to Edinburgh next year that you contact me directly at gordona@euro-hostels.co.uk in the first instance to discuss the issue that you and your group experienced. Thank you again for taking the time to review us and I am sorry again that your stay was not up to our usual high standard.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

I'm a little disappointed at the negative reviews of this hostel. I booked this place when i was attending a concert thus receiving the 15% discount. Consequently it only cost me £16 for a night. After reading some of the previous reviews i was a little wary, but thought 'what the heck it's only for one night'. Anyway upon arrival i found out the place was basic but clean. The bed linen and towels were fresh and the bathroom was spotless as was the kitchen and cooking facilities. Sure the furniture and carpets were old and cheap, but to be honest for only £16 what can anyone expect? I also found that for a central location it was reasonably quiet and i got a good night's sleep. I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone on a budget.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo

Hi Charliemouse68, thanks for taking the time out to review the Euro Hostel Edinburgh Halls. It seems like you had a good stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you were able to take advantage of our clean, affordable and centrally located accommodation.
It is pleasing to hear that you would have no hesitation recommending us and we would hope to welcome you again on the future!