I'm recently back from a long weekend in Edinburgh, staying at Highfield Guest House, and just have to post a review. I chose Highfield having read the reviews already posted on tripadvisor last year, and having never been disappointed before by accommodation reviewed by tripadvisor, I was hopeful of yet another positive experience. My stay at Highfield surpassed expectations - even before I arrived, from email and phone correspondence to make my booking, I already had a good impression of the hosts, John and Christine. They are so friendly, welcoming, and thoughtful, as well as a great resource for local information (this may seem obvious but I am often amazed at how little useful knowledge can be gleaned from people working in all aspects of the tourism industry!)
The room I stayed in was a welcoming and restful place at the end of each day, with a beautiful large window looking out to the garden, high ceiling that lended to the sense of space, excellent and plentiful storage, a very comfortable bed and spotless bathroom, complete with heated towel rail, lovely! The attention to detail is instantly obvious, and makes you feel like a family member, rather than just a guest: selection of herbal teas and hot chocolate, as well as tea and coffee in the room, with a little teapot instead of just a mug - really nice touch. And in the bathroom - lovely toiletries, including a nailbrush and cotton buds - an extremely good idea and something you rarely find, even in a much more expensive hotel.
Breakfast was excellent also - a wide choice of cooked dishes and a lovely relaxing breakfast room, a great way to start the day. Getting to and from Highfield was very easy - the bus service is very efficient and walking into town is also very easy.
A couple of tips - right across the road from Highfield is a beautiful stationery and gift shop, "Bitsy Adam's", owned by Donna Adam, who makes the beautiful handmade greeting cards herself (her husband takes the photos which are on sale there too) - it was a real treasure trove for an original gift or card, definitely worth a browse! And a restaurant tip - David Bann's vegetarian restaurant, on St Mary's Street, just off the Royal Mile. One of the best meals I have ever had, anywhere, and very reasonably priced compared to most restaurants in Edinburgh.
All in all, Highfield was a great base for visiting Edinburgh, and I certainly look forward to my next visit and staying there again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Maggie and Gordon welcome you to their elegant Victorian guest house situated in the Newington district of Edinburgh, close to the beautiful, historic city centre. The four star Highfield Guest House offers true Scottish hospitality so whether you are here on holiday or on a business trip you will find Highfield's friendly, informal ambience very relaxing and our attention to detail will ensure a comfortable, relaxing and memorable stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Hotwire and TripOnline SA so you can book your Highfield Guest House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Highfield Guest House Hotel Edinburgh
- Highfield Guest House Edinburgh, Scotland