“Wonderful Experience , highly recommend.”

Highfield Guest House
Ranked #38 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I went as a single traveller visiting Edinburgh for a long weekend. The guesthouse was lovely, decorated to a high standard and felt very luxurious. My room was small but lovely. Every finishing touch was there, down to tea making facilities and biscuits. The bathroom for the single room is seperate but it is just yours and you have your own key to it. The bathroom is immaculate and modern. The hosts were friendly and gave plenty of good advice and it was a lovely place to return to on a drizzly evening. Breakfast was good too. The buses run quite frequently down the parallel road but I also walked back fromt own once or twice. Its a short walk to Arthurs seat which you must climb! My only quibble would be that the mattress/bed had a slight sag to it, probably needs to be replaced. I slept fine but I was aware of it and it might bother a lighter sleeper more.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed July 14, 2013

My fiancé and I both thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Highfield Guest House. The rooms were immaculate and the hosts friendly and approachable. Kate was especially helpful in providing detailed directions to the guest house via email, prior to our arrival. It is roughly a 25 min walk to the city centre, but there are regular buses or you can take a taxi for £7. The location is ideal for visiting Arthur's Seat - and there is an excellent pub with a beer garden nearby, called the Salisbury Arms. If you are looking for an authentic Scottish guest house with a warm welcome and offering good value for money, I would highly recommend Highfield.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We booked at Highfield House due to its great reviews, and now we're ready to join the chorus. Maggie, Gordon and Kate could not have been nicer or more helpful. They love to travel themselves, and clearly have learned for their own guest experiences.

Our room was comfortable and clean, with nice updates so often lacking in small inns. We especially appreciated the nice touches. For instance, nearly every inn provides soaps and shampoos; theirs were excellent. Many inns offer cereals, jams, etc as an add-on to breakfasts; those at the Highfield were really good quality foods. Speaking of foods, guests were given a menu each evening and we made breakfast choices for the following day. Full Scottish breakfast and other items are available.

The center of the unforgettable city of Edinburgh is a short bus ride (less than 10 minutes), and buses run often. Our hosts were happy to provide information about things to see and how to get around. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed at this guest house whilst in Edinburgh seeing the local sights. The room that we had was at the back of the house overlooking the courtyard. It was quiet, comfortable and always very clean when we came back from a days sightseeing. The food was very good and Kate, Maggie and Gordon were all very helpful. Nothing was too much trouble for them. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I enjoyed my stay here, and felt very welcomed. Of the six places I stayed in Scotland on this trip, this had the best cooked breakfast. It was clean and mostly comfortable (see below), with a location that, while not central, is near buses, and within walking distance of downtown and Holyrood Park (Arthur's Seat).

I have a few complaints about room. First, I could easily feel individual springs as I lay down on my mattress, so it needed to be replaced. Second, the hot and cold water comes from different faucets in the sink. While this is remarkably common in Scotland, it's still really, really stupid and annoying. The room price is quite good, and would stay competitive if they raised it slightly to pay for new mattresses and sinks.

Last, a word of caution about breakfast. You will be asked to fill out a card the night before indicating when you want breakfast, but it was unclear to me why. In a week's stay, they _never_ had it ready at that time, for me or any other guests. It was 5-20 minutes late each morning. It was fresh cooked, which made it good, but do not rely on a cooked breakfast if you're in a hurry for a tour or a meeting.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank G6p6742m11
Reviewed July 2, 2013

A very lovely place for a short stay. Very helpful staff and impeccably clean rooms including showering and toilet facilities. I stayed in the Single room and I would highly recommend staying here for a comfortable relaxed stay without breaking the bank.

Room Tip: The single room faced the road, which was quite busy at night (noise) but I sleep with ear plugs so...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We finished our Coast and Castles cycle trip here and spent two nights so that we could see the sights. The bikes were very secure in the back garden with a locked gate, the room was lovely and Kate could not have been more helpful. There were lots of good suggestions as to where to eat and visit and we were given useful info as to the best route to cycle to the station!
We would certainly visit again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple