“DO NOT STAY at Garfield”

and 1 more site!
Garfield Guest House
Ranked #38 of 396 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 11, 2009

I cannot understand why people have written good reviews for this place.We booked for 2 nights as the reviews had on the whole been positive.I got a bad feeling when I arrived at the torqouise door and saw the dining room from outside.Cheap glass tables and no blind or curtains.We were greeted by Martin who was in his socks and wore his jeans so far down his backside we saw most of his Gap underpants- not a good start!
We had 2 rooms which were appalling-stains and hairs on the duvet cover which was so bobbled and thin you could see through it.
We sat there for 30 minutes to try to find something good about both rooms but could not.
We decided to leave and found excellent accommodation a few doors up for less than the £34.50 we were being charged at Garfield.
Best avoided

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
5  Thank rgraham_7

Reviewed June 21, 2009

I stayed in Room 7 of the Garfield Guest House for 2 days this month. Martin, the owner of the guest house, is very friendly, and the staff members are also very nice. I had some problems with my plane reservations and Martin was very accommodating about changing my reservations at his establishment. The staff also arranged for me to have a taxi the morning of my departure and were very good about being flexible with my check-in. The bed in my room was very comfortable. The cooked breakfasts were also delicious.

A few things could be improved. The television in the room got very quirky reception. Also, the bathroom, which was on the landing, had a shower that took several minutes to dispense hot water. The cleaning could also be somewhat more thorough, as there was some hair in the shower and a small, open packet of cookies left in the room.

In total, however, the Garfield Guest House has a lovely staff, and despite a few issues, is good value for yuor money.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank HalifaxHeather
Reviewed May 26, 2009

Excellent breakfast after a good nights sleep. The room we stayed in overlooked the park with a excellent view of the castle. We would stay again without a doubt.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank KellysHeroCharters
Reviewed March 16, 2009

We had a great stay in Edinburgh and Garfield was exactly what we had wished for. The service was fantastic, our room was clean, modern and just what we needed, the bed comfortable, the breakfast hot and tasty and the free internet was really handy. I would recommend Garfield to anyone planning a trip to Edinburgh.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AlanGoodwin
Reviewed March 13, 2009

"Thoroughly enjoyed our stay lovely city looking forward to coming back next year.good man martin x

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank heman2
Reviewed March 3, 2009

I chose to stay at the Garfield based on reviews I had read on this website. All seemed very positive, except for one, which I made the mistake of ignoring - I think we must have been given the same room which was positioned between the kitchen and the stairs on the ground floor as my experience was very similar.

After getting an early train from London and then opting to walk from the station (not recommended with bags, although it is quite a lovely walk otherwise), my friend and I did not get the warm welcome everyone talks about and were simply ushered into a room with peach, woodchip walls, a very pokey ensuite with aged towels and bedding which was clean but bobbling from age and over-washing. But the worse thing by far was the noise which came from all possible sources. Every time the toilet was flushed we were in fear for our lives and the noise lasted for a good ten minutes. We also benefitted from the sound of the equally bad toilet in the room directly above us. During the night we were woken up everytime someone came through the front door, flushed the loo or went up and down the stairs which included some very drunken people and the staff preparing for breakfast in the morning. When the heating kicked in (about 5am) , there began a knocking sound which was unrelenting and meant that there was no chance of further sleep.
After such an appalling night, I wanted to speak to Martin about being moved to another room but he was nowhere to be found and a member of the kitchen staff said she would pass the message on. I enquired later as well - no Martin - and was told nothing was available and so we had another broken night's sleep - no apology. We left that day and had expected Martin to at least enquire as to how our stay had been or make some reference to our issues with the room, but he didn't even bother.

I get the impression that there are people that come here time and time again and I'm sure that they are given preferential treatment, perhaps rightly so, but I was throughly disappointed with all aspects of the stay in this B & B with the exception of the poached eggs. After the full-fat of the first day's breakfast, I opted for something less artery clogging and the eggs were perfect.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tired71
Reviewed January 20, 2009

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the recent reviews. Garfield Guest house is in a great location and looks OK, but it is not a pleasant experience staying there. Martin was friendly when I spoke to him on the phone and greeted us when we arrived, but then we never saw him again. We spent 2 nights staying here after Christmas with our 3 teenagers. Their room faced the road and was very noisy. It could do with proper curtains rather than bamboo blinds to block out the street lights. Our room faced the back and was quieter, though the other guests were very noisy and you can hear them using their bathroom. Also, the bedside lights didn't work unless you fiddled with the switch and the TV didn't work at all. We rang Martin to report the TV problem but it was never fixed.
The breakfast is OK, but the girl serving the food was not friendly.
The free internet is a bonus, and the location is good, but we won't be staying here again.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank campbells05