“Second trip to Lovely B&B”

Arrandale Guest House
Ranked #128 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I am very surprised at the bad reviews on trip advisor as this is the second time we have stayed there and think it is lovely. My sister and brother-in-law from Australia stayed there for 10 days in July and also thought it was great. It is slightly old-fashioned in decor, but it was clean, the breakfast was fantastic, it is ideally located for getting into Edinburgh on local buses, and it is good value. It was one of the few B&B's in that area that did not insiste on a minimum 2 night stay at weekends over the summer period. We had the room with private bathroom, not en-suite, but for the reduction in price, it was well worth the slight inconvenience of having to go out into the hall to get to the private bathroom. Lis the owner was welcoming and chatty, and gave my 12 year old daughter the loan of a crutch as she had hurt her knee and was finding walking difficult. The most important aspect for me is that it was very quiet, so we all got a good night's sleep. I fully expect to stay there again next time we go up to Edinburgh. As Lis has pointed out in her replies to the bad reviews, if the problems had been pointed out to her at the time she could have tried to resolve them. Too many people lack the courage to say anything at the time and then have a good old moan after they get home.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Arrandale Guest House

Reviewed August 31, 2012

We went last weekend and stayed for 2 nights. Our room was nice, had an ensuite bathrooom and was in a great location. You can get any of lothian buses from there to the city centre and it is only 5-10 minutes on the bus. They also offer free wifi there and breakfast. With the breakfast you pick a slot (the latest one being 08:45-9am) and choose what you want the day before. The choice of breakfast was excellent (eggs,cereal, tea, coffee, fruit, yoghurt).

Ms Telford was very accomodating, welcoming and knowledgable. For Edinburgh in summer is excellent value for money. If we come back to Edinburgh we would def stay there again. A good point also is that if you want to go out in the evening you don't need taxis-you can use your lothan day pass if you are planning to be home before about midnight. If you are our any later you can use the night buses which are £3.50 each.

If you want to drink eat/near the B&B you can get the bus to North Bridge and there are lots of restaurants/bars.

It was perfect for what we wanted-we just slept and had breakfast there, near the city centre , was clean and the good service was a bonus.

Edinburgh is an expensive city-if like us you want somewhere reasonable, central and clean this is a great choice. If you want a fancy hotel book a fancy hotel.

Mrs Telford really was welcoming and the breakfast was excellent. A bonus was that as there are only 4 rooms it is never noisy at breakfast just quiet and relaxed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the house for the best nights sleep If you can try to book between Se...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Lis was very pleasant and informative. The bed was comfortable and we slept well. However, the toilet (toilet seat was broken) and shower facilities were shocking to say the least. I have photographs to prove this. I asked the cleaner to 'clean' the shower but it was no different at all. Horrendous springs to mind. There was no anti slip mat in shower,and both hubby and I almost fell over!) dangerous so say the least. I was sooo pleased I took cleaning wipes with me.
Lis's brochure said £25\£40 per night but because we were there at Fringe time, she charged us £240 for two nights...... I do NOT recommend this B\B to anyone with cleanliness standards.
The breakfast was very poor. Low cost ingredients......
I love Edinburgh and what it offers. But this accommodation was a huge disappointment.

Room Tip: check out the shower rooms fellow travellers
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Margaret K
ArrandaleGuestHouse, Owner at Arrandale Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

I am very sorry that you were disappointed with your stay here. I can assure you that a great effort was make the bathroom as clean as possible. Unfortunately, the grout needs to be redone and this is being done in the next few days. I was unable to do this sooner as August is a very busy time of the year and the room was booked out every night.

I am also sorry to hear your husband and yourself found the base of the shower slippery. The base does have a ridged surface to help with gripping.

The price you quote of between £25 and £40 per person per night is correct for a double or twin room. As discussed with you at the time of booking, I could offer you only a large family room, which can accommodate up to 5 people at £120. Of course it was entirely up to yourself to reserve the room or not.

I get many compliments about the freshly made breakfast I offer and can assure you, I do not use low cost ingredients. You are able to view pictures of some of the breakfasts I offer on the internet.

I would not like you to have a lasting bad impression of my guest house, so as a gesture of goodwill, please accept my cheque for £15.

I would have been very grateful if you could have addressed your points directly to me, so that I could rectify matters, rather than broadcasting them on the internet and then me having to explain the situation fully in a reply.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

We came to Edinburgh to help our daughter before she goes to university there later this year and decided to make a holiday too. The Arrandale Guest House was great. The room was comfortable, the breakfast Ms Telford made for us was wonderful!, and it is only 10 minutes journey on the bus to the middle of a beautiful, historical city. As well the price we paid, I would highly recommend this place! Danke schön!

Johannes

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Johannes V
Reviewed May 27, 2012

After reading so many reviews in a positive light we thought we had found an excellent Guest house at a bargain price but soon realised that this was really the only thing that we felt was positive, apart from the fact that it was situated just a mile or so from the city and within walking distance.
The double bed in the room we were in (Room 1 downstairs on ground floor) is so close to the ensuite you can literally stick your leg out just one foot from the bed to close the door. The ensuite itself is so small it is breathing room only and above the sink was disgusting as it appeared the tiles were missing which left the old glue which looked very dirty. Apart from that the shower itself was blocked and the basin kept filling up with water during your shower. yuk!
The room itself was not very clean with crumbs all over the carpets under the furniture from the last occupiers.
Then you go into the drawers to put some things away and find that you are about to be met by again the previous occupiers hairs from their head as well as more crumbs of food. Could not believe our eyes!

On the day we travelled there ( a three hour journey) we were told that there would be no one available to let us in between the hours of 1-6pm, even though it says on the website that you could check in between 9am and 11pm.
Although we did originally say we would be arriving at midday, we were delayed and knew we would not get there till after 2pm which then meant there would be no one to meet us at the door to welcome us or give us advice should we need it
This was done by voicemail on our mobile phone and when we tried to call back, no one answered so we had no choice but to leave a message which we then got a response from by text saying exactly the same thing that "no one would be there between those times to let us in" so we were literally stuck with no where to go.
We then text back to say that we needed to be in the guest house as we had to be somewhere by seven thirty and needed somewhere to shower and change after our journey. It was only after stating this that we were then sent another text saying we could pick keys up from someone else's guesthouse if we did not mind letting outselves in and going to get the keys. We were told the name of the guesthouse but not the number on the street so when we arrived we had no clue which direction to take so spent a good half hour looking for this other guesthouse. What choice did we have? This late in the day none!
We were then shocked to be told the next day that the reason for no one being there was because one of the young girls who worked for the owner was not answerng her phone so it made us realise that even as a business she did not see importance of even standing in herself to give the keys.
So the moral of this story is, book if you desire but dont put any expectations of cleanliness on your choice if you do still choose still to be at this guesthouse. I feel if you are from another country you are also more likely to get more chit chat from the owner as we witnessed during our stay there. So no we definitely will not be going back. Cheap yes, but cheerful no.

Room Tip: Do not choose room number one unless you are stick thin because the onsuite is really breathing room...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank magsy64
ArrandaleGuestHouse, Owner at Arrandale Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2012

I would like to assure potential visitors that we try very hard to provide our guests with a pleasurable stay at the Arrandale. I apologise for the shortcomings that this guests experienced - these have been promptly attended to and rectified in our attempt to maintain our high standards.

Reviewed March 20, 2012

Great Hospitality, Great Room, Great Breakfast. 20 mins walk to the main town.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank HumptyWFC
Reviewed October 5, 2011

We were booked at the Arrandale guest house through the tourist information center for one night in Edinburgh. We booked it last minute and were very pleased with our accomodations. The beds were very comfortable, Lis was kind and definitely devoted to making sure that we had a very pleasant night's stay. We arrived later in the evening and left first thing, but it made an impression. We knew we were coming back through Edinburgh later in the week, but hadn't had time to make arrangements with Lis. We ended up calling two days later to request a room for the weekend. Sure enough, she had a room available for us. It was a very comfortable room, with a nice bathroom, provided towels and toiletries, vaulted ceilings, and the list goes on. There was an extensive list of items to choose from for our freshly made breakfast which was delicious! Lis made every effort to make sure we were happy. When we made addtional requests, she was quick to accomodate us.

I was shocked to see other negative reviews for this location! It was a quick and very easy bus trip, the price was great, and we truly felt like we were guests in Lis' home. This was easily the best place we stayed in our entire 15 day stay in the UK (at our price range, of course). Thanks Lis!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple