“Everthing I needed”

Arrandale Guest House
Ranked #146 of 396 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Great Hospitality, Great Room, Great Breakfast. 20 mins walk to the main town.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank HumptyWFC

Reviewed October 5, 2011

We were booked at the Arrandale guest house through the tourist information center for one night in Edinburgh. We booked it last minute and were very pleased with our accomodations. The beds were very comfortable, Lis was kind and definitely devoted to making sure that we had a very pleasant night's stay. We arrived later in the evening and left first thing, but it made an impression. We knew we were coming back through Edinburgh later in the week, but hadn't had time to make arrangements with Lis. We ended up calling two days later to request a room for the weekend. Sure enough, she had a room available for us. It was a very comfortable room, with a nice bathroom, provided towels and toiletries, vaulted ceilings, and the list goes on. There was an extensive list of items to choose from for our freshly made breakfast which was delicious! Lis made every effort to make sure we were happy. When we made addtional requests, she was quick to accomodate us.

I was shocked to see other negative reviews for this location! It was a quick and very easy bus trip, the price was great, and we truly felt like we were guests in Lis' home. This was easily the best place we stayed in our entire 15 day stay in the UK (at our price range, of course). Thanks Lis!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2011

We were so excited to do some sight-seeing in Edinburgh which meant that we were sorely disappointed when we got to Arrandale Guest House only to find that nobody was there and we could not check in. We waited for FOUR hours before the owner finally arrived without as much as an apology, I had to ask for that! Apparently the lady who cleaned the accommodation was unaware that she had to let us in!!!
Our only afternoon in Edinburgh wasted.
The breakfast the following morning was not to the standard we'd received elsewhere. The eggs were barely even cooked.
What a terrible time we had at Arrandale.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay at Arrandale!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Monique R
ArrandaleGuestHouse, Owner at Arrandale Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2011

I am very sorry to see your complaint on Tripadvisor. I was indeed very apologetic about you being unable to gain access to the guest house earlier in the afternoon and reduced your bill by £10 accordingly. I discovered the reason for this failure and have taken steps to rectify this matter. I can assure you, that there will always be someone here to welcome guests on their arrival. I am also very sorry to hear that the eggs weren't cooked to your liking - I would have happily cooked them some more for you, if you had asked. I would like assure readers of this that I receive many compliments for my generous, freshly-cooked breakfasts. Please do not let this one complaint put you off staying here. I have many happy visitors - last night, 5 of my 6 rooms were let to previous visitors who had returned.

Reviewed August 14, 2011

Me and my partner stayed here whilst in the city for the fringe festival. I have no complaints or moans whatsoever for this guest house. From our arrival there was a nice greeting from the owner, the room was spotless clean, everything that you would expect from a guest house was there and also a few extras such as toiletries, shower gels etc in bathroom. Breakfast in the morning was made to order for each guest, all the items were lovely, we would definitley stay here again...... only minor thing was the rate of £80, this was probably due to the fringe festival and everywhere had increased their prices, but the advertised rates on the website for "normal" stays of around £50 is great value for money. Thanks for a lovely stay. Jon & Shaunna

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2011

Staying at Arrandale Guest House was a delightful experience. We arrived very late, midnight-ish, and there was Lis's daughter to welcome us, big smile on her face, despite the unfriendly time of the night. Next morning, another big smile, Lis's this time. Ready she was to feed us the best haggis around and to pour us all the tea and coffee we wanted.

We most certainly do recommend Arrandale Guest House and as for ourselves, we know exactly where we are staying next time we go to Edinburgh!

Anna and Maria

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank bebitz65
Reviewed October 22, 2010

My wife and I recently had a weekend break before our son is born. We booked a room at the Arrandale and were told we had to pay a deposit AND the full balance before we arrived. I have stayed in about 10 b&b's in Edinburgh over the years and this is the first time I have ever had to pay in advance!

The room... Well... Nice enough I guess unless you are 38 weeks pregnant - which my wife was! The room had a double and a single which meant the door to the en-suite only opened half way! The toilet seat was broken and the bathroom was very small.

The beds were very uncomfortable and the duvet felt like it was made of lead - haven't slept in a bed like that since the 80's. Speaking of which, that's the era of the TV we had! Although it did have a remote albeit a broken one, taped together!

We had a great weekend in a great city and will definately return but will NOT be staying at the Arrandale!!

Price was ok but much better B&Bs in the same street!

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank ProfessorScuzzi
lissiet, Owner at Arrandale Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2010

I was very disappointed and hurt to read the above review. I have had very many happy satisfied guests staying here, some of whom return frequently. Most guests are happy with the price and pay a deposit and are advised of the cancellation terms. I am sorry you were unhappy with your stay, but regret that you did not contact me at that time so that I could have improved things for you. I would have been most willing to see to your complaints on the spot, or offer you another room. I wish to assure any future, prospective guests that I maintain a good quality, 3 star guest house and any repairs or improvements are attended to promptly.

Reviewed December 18, 2009

We stayed there for one week....it is very comfortable place, very near to bus stand.An indian take away is just few steps away...and caretaker is awesome.....

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)