Arrandale Guest House
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$209
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
$156
  • Pool
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$161
$156
  • Bar/Lounge
Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$221
Grassmarket Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$187
$165
Agoda.com
Apex Grassmarket Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$126
$117
  • Pool
$251
$232
Agoda.com
Cairn Hotel Edinburgh(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$114
$90
  • Bar/Lounge
$121
All reviewsb bcity centredouble and single bedmain bus routestayed for nightscooked breakfasthigh ceilingsporridgefamily roomyogurtprinces streetlisannandaleensuitebusesroomyscotland
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 13, 2011

Staying at Arrandale Guest House was a delightful experience. We arrived very late, midnight-ish, and there was Lis's daughter to welcome us, big smile on her face, despite the unfriendly time of the night. Next morning, another big smile, Lis's this time. Ready she was to feed us the best haggis around and to pour us all the tea and coffee we wanted.

We most certainly do recommend Arrandale Guest House and as for ourselves, we know exactly where we are staying next time we go to Edinburgh!

Anna and Maria

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank bebitz65
Reviewed October 22, 2010

My wife and I recently had a weekend break before our son is born. We booked a room at the Arrandale and were told we had to pay a deposit AND the full balance before we arrived. I have stayed in about 10 b&b's in Edinburgh over the years and this is the first time I have ever had to pay in advance!

The room... Well... Nice enough I guess unless you are 38 weeks pregnant - which my wife was! The room had a double and a single which meant the door to the en-suite only opened half way! The toilet seat was broken and the bathroom was very small.

The beds were very uncomfortable and the duvet felt like it was made of lead - haven't slept in a bed like that since the 80's. Speaking of which, that's the era of the TV we had! Although it did have a remote albeit a broken one, taped together!

We had a great weekend in a great city and will definately return but will NOT be staying at the Arrandale!!

Price was ok but much better B&Bs in the same street!

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank ProfessorScuzzi
lissiet, Owner at Arrandale Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2010

I was very disappointed and hurt to read the above review. I have had very many happy satisfied guests staying here, some of whom return frequently. Most guests are happy with the price and pay a deposit and are advised of the cancellation terms. I am sorry you were unhappy with your stay, but regret that you did not contact me at that time so that I could have improved things for you. I would have been most willing to see to your complaints on the spot, or offer you another room. I wish to assure any future, prospective guests that I maintain a good quality, 3 star guest house and any repairs or improvements are attended to promptly.

Reviewed December 18, 2009

We stayed there for one week....it is very comfortable place, very near to bus stand.An indian take away is just few steps away...and caretaker is awesome.....

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 19, 2009

I've stayed in quite a few B 'n' Bs in the past, but this is the first time I've felt moved to write a review about one because staying at Arrandale was a truely unpleasant experience.

I telephone Arrandale to book a room for myself and my partner, and thought everything was fine after speaking to the member of staff. The next night at 11pm the owner telephoned to inform me that the person who took my booking forgot to ask me for my card details as a deposit. I found this very unprofessional.

Once at Arrandale the decor was a bit like being at your Grandmother's house. I found the owner quite rude and she appeared flustered when we spoke to her like asking to use the computer in the dining table, a service advertised.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank lilah336
Reviewed June 25, 2009

Our three-person family stayed here for three nights in late May and would not give this location more than a qualified C-. We were supposed to have a family room (expecting something a little bigger than a double) but were crammed together ala sardines in a room overlooking the street - one, by the way that included bus traffic, ambulances, motorcycles, loud noise, etc.
Not to be too critical of the place but it needs a good 'overhaul.' Lock on our door quit working after first nite, our bathroom ("en-suite?") was two door down and, to use it, of course, one had to be completely awake and use key-locks to enter and leave. This was an imposition on our sleep to say the least.
Parking was ok, that is IF you were the first one there with an automobile and planned to leave it parked for the duration of the stay, which, of course, we did.
Breakfast was pretty good, with good choice of items (other than the standard "English Breakfast" which most Americans do not like, by the way.
My worst gripe was with the check in. I had to fill out paperwork before I was allowed to unload our luggage - even though I had pre-paid the first night! Lis had all the info on us and waiting until I filled out information that she had already was maddening. I sensed that she was a bit paranoid of strangers, foreigners and particularly Americans.
The one thing that irritated me the most? Charging 1 pound per hour for the internet! This was the only charge I paid during our 28-day, 26 B&B trip around Great Britain!
There are better choices in Edinburgh and even better ones in the same area. if you go, strike this one from your thoughts and try another one (which may not be any better, but then, it won't take much to match or beat this place.)

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family