“Great...if you can hear the guide”
Review of MacTours City Tour

MacTours City Tour
Ranked #112 of 221 Tours in Edinburgh
Type: City Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: MacTours City Tour has it all, a live guide to point out the places of interest along the route, a 24 hour ticket allowing you to hop on and off to explore Edinburgh's attractions and places of interest and all this on a traditional style vintage bus. MacTours City Tour penetrates the Old Town of Einburgh with non stop fantastic views and stories.
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Although I found Edinburgh very compact to walk around, I always take a tour to learn about the sites and history.

On our first hop we sat downstairs (due to weather), the guide was upstairs but their commentary was too muffled and unclear to understand downstairs, which was a great shame.

On our next hop a female was upstairs commentating; not bad, couldn’t catch every word but a much better experience.

On our final hop we were seated downstairs with the commentator. Well, he was fab and I could hear every single entertaining word he said. Fabulous. In fact, I learnt more on that short hop than I’d learnt all day. When I told the guide this as we disembarked he replied ‘ah, you were downstairs when the guide was up’ nodding sympathically, so this is obviously an ongoing problem.

So, although the guide is clearly fab if the sound quality is good enough, I’d personally opt for an audio guide next time. Shame.

ElaineEBT, Sales Manager at MacTours City Tour, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

English-Rosa

Thank you for reviewing our MacTours City Tour. I shall pass your comments about the sound system on to our engineering department and hope they can get to the bottom of it. It may be that there was a specific bus that needs attention and this may have already been brought to the Operations Team attention.

I'm glad you eventually enjoyed your experience with our Guides and could hear their commentary.

It's good to hear that you always take a tour when visiting a new city - it really is the best way to explore.

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments here, we shall investigate further to ensure this is resolved.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

This bus is the best tour. We had a 2 day pass. A live tour guide points out the sights. We had Grant one day. I recommend him. We were in a traffic jam for a while and he made use of that time by telling us some Scottish history, Nor' Loch history and Edinburgh history overall. There were only 3 of us on the bus at the time and with a traffice jam, he made use of his and our time. There are 4 other buses that can be used w/ a pass for this tour. I recommend this one by far. The best part of Grant's tour was when he pointed out the cow jumping out of the building. Just call it Grant's cow. (Sorry, Grant. I could not resist) Grant, thank you, so much for making our day with your tour.

1  Thank renaandamy
ElaineEBT, Sales Manager at MacTours City Tour, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

renaandamy
Thanks for reviewing our MacTours City Tour and especially your lovely words about Grant - he'll be delighted.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts here and hope it encourages others to hop on our Vintage MacTours City Tour too.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

As this was my first visit, I found that completing the tour was a good way to plan the rest of the day. Closest to the start point is the national portrait gallery which has an extremely impressive collection of old masters. From then on I used the hop-on/off option to get between the rest of the major attractions. Entertaining and informative live commentary made for £13 well spent.

ElaineEBT, Sales Manager at MacTours City Tour, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

GD-Family

I love how you used our tour to plan the rest of your day and made the most of the 24 hour ticket.

It's also good to hear that you found our Guides informative and entertaining. I hope you discovered lots about our city and explored attractions you might not have visited if you hadn't been on our tours.

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review here.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

There are loads of bus tours right outside Waverley Station we opted for this one because we wanted to go on the vintage bus although we were accosted by one of the other operators who we couldn't understand and she wasn't Scottish! Unfortunately I can't tell you the name of the guide on the bus but she was great and threw in loads of little one liners that were probably lost on the foreign trippers. The tour takes you past the major attractions and you literally hop off and back on. The tickets last for a whole 24 hours which is dead handy.

ElaineEBT, Sales Manager at MacTours City Tour, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Thank you for your 5 star review of our MacTours City Tour.

I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed our Guide's commentary and that you used your 24 hour ticket to hop on and hop off. The MacTour route passes many of the city's attractions so it really is an ideal way to get around and to learn about the city.

I really appreciate you taking the time to post your review here.

With best wishes

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Got on the bus as we had a bit of time to kill. The guide was very good and clearly knew a lot about his city. He gave us information in an interesting and humourous way. The ride took us around the city centre and the old town. With the historcal information this is probably not for parties with small children but some may be interested. Even though it was cold the ride we took had plenty of other tourists on board so it is popular

Thank you for your review of our MacTours City Tour. It's good to hear that you learned a lot on our tour and that you enjoyed our Guide's commentary. Our Guides adapt their tour depending on who is on the bus so children are catered for too, as required. We also have a fantastic Horrible Histories commentary on our City Sightseeing route which is ideal.

I'm glad you hopped on our tour when you had time to kill and hope it will encourage you to try our other routes in the future.