“Good for a laugh”

The Edinburgh Dungeon Priority Entrance Ticket
Ranked #6 of 61 Fun & Games in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Edinburgh Dungeon is a unique visitor attraction that brings together an amazing cast of theatrical actors, special effects, stages, scenes and rides in a truly unique and exciting walk-through experience that you see, hear, touch, smell and feel. It's hilarious fun and sometimes a bit scary. Your 80-minute journey will take you through 500 years of Scotland's darkest history. Guided by a full cast of actors, you and your companions walk through The Dungeon, moving from show to show. Shows are based on real Scottish history, minus the boring bits! WINNER OF SCOTLAND'S BEST VISITOR ATTRACTION 2014 AT THE SCOTTISH ENTERTAINMENT AWARDS
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I've been here twice now - one time was great; the other was terrible.

The first time I went with some friends a few years ago. The cost at the time wasn't too bad as we were students! The actors were brilliant and really got into their roles. It had a few moments that made some people jump and all was at to be expected until the river ride... Literally 30 seconds into it, the boat broke down! No one seemed to know what was going on, including the staff. After 5-10 minutes, we eventually got escorted off the boat and were sent to the gift shop!! That was it all done and finished apparently! To our disbelief we received no money back despite the 'ride' malfunctioning. We all left with faces like thunder.

More recently, I went with my girlfriend. This time we experienced the whole thing from start to finish. The routine was the same but it was still a laugh. Everything worked well and the drop ride at the end was fantastic for the whole 3 seconds it lasted. On a side note, that William Wallace... projection thing... is possibly the worst and most clichéd thing I have ever experienced.

All in all, the Edinburgh Dungeon is a wee bit too expensive for all it is, however the actors and the history they bring to life is surprisingly good. I'd say take a visit if you can spare some money, if not then give it a miss and take a wander around the real Edinburgh and see the history for yourself!

EDMarketing, Public Relations Manager at The Edinburgh Dungeon, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2013

Hello and thanks for taking the time to review the Dungeon. It's very difficult to comment on your first visit as you don't mention when it was but give the impression it was some time ago. We would always encourage dissatisfied guests to speak up at the time of the visit to allow us to correct whatever has gone wrong.
We do appreciate that what we do at the Dungeon doesn't suit everyone's tastes but we do try to cover a lot of bases! We do work hard to bring history to life rather than just statically tell a story.

There are newer reviews for The Edinburgh Dungeon

Reviewed November 24, 2013

My visit - I would say all right, started off interesting, the finish was also good, however it was a bit too long, dragging slightly - to be honest kind of in the middle of the tour was wondering how much we've still got to see. Maybe speed it up a bit?

Hello and thanks for reviewing. We're glad to hear you enjoyed the drop ride and the start of the tour. We advertise an 80 minute experience and ensure it does take that long so that it provides good value for money. Most reviewers feel that it isn't long enough! So it is obviously a tricky balance to strike. The shows are timed and audited to prevent them from feeling rushed.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

I must say I was disappointed by my visit to the dungeon. I visited in November on a day trip to Edinburgh. It is located RIGHT next to Waverly station making it easy to get to although looking at it from outside leaves a lot to be desired. On arrival we walked down a couple of flights of stairs to go underground and then were placed into a waiting room before the commencement of the tour.

On the positive side, the dungeon is entertaining to say the least. It is funny and the actors are good, making it feel proper. The rooms are dark and give a dirty, old, historic feel. It isn't scary at all, it's just frightening in the sense there are loud bangs and actors which make you jump and, in my opinion, spoils it a little as I think a more scary storyline or chilling background would be more enjoyable, rather than actors jumping out which really has no relevance to the dungeon.

On the negative side, the quality of education is near zero. I learnt very little from the tour compared to the London and York dungeons. It doesn't seem Edinburgh specific at all. We were in a small group of about 8 people which impacted on the speed of the tour. It states 1h30mins but we had completed it in 1 hour. It is a shame that being moved from one room to another which is silent allows you to hear the previous actor going through the exact same routine with the group behind, but I guess this can't be helped.

There are two rides, **SPOLIER ALERT** a boat and a hanging drop ride simulator (like London dungeon). I was very disappointed with the boat ride. We got on the boat, like a big log flume with rows, which moved forward about 10 metres (although in darkness so it's hard to tell). I realised this after getting off when I could still see the emergency exit sign from where we got on further down. Nothing happens apart from loud noises, flashes and a surprising actor, that's it unlike the one in London which has more to it. As for the drop ride, it's exactly the same as London.

Overall, would not pay to go again. The London one is fantastic (although owned by the same people), and having been to all three UK dungeons, in my opinion this one is the worst. Be sure to go to the London Dungeon, by coming here, you aren't gaining anything more, it's the same, just not as good.

1  Thank Tom B
EDMarketing, Public Relations Manager at The Edinburgh Dungeon, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Hello and thanks for your review. We're sorry to hear you didn't fully enjoy the experience but would like to correct you on a few points as there are some inaccuracies.

We are limited on what we can do with the exterior of our building as we are in a UNESCO world heritage site and planning permission is strict - believe us, we've tried! The new London Dungeon frontage has fire that we're very jealous of. We are not a scare attraction - so our aim is not to terrify you, but to entertain with a couple of gentle jumps for fun. The Dungeons are not made to be "chilling", but more what we call, Scary Fun.
All of our stories are well researched and we do receive a lot of great feedback on the educational value of the tour. Please feel free to have a look at our free downloadable resources for schools on our website which clearly outline the direct links to the Curriculum for Excellence.
The tour is the same length regardless of group size and time of visit etc. The shows are scripted to be a certain length and are audited regularly to ensure that the performers' personal tweaks aren't making it too different from the set standard.
We are working on soundproofing throughout the building.
The entrance to the boat ride is not actually visible from the exit of the ride as the boat is not on a straight track, so the emergency exit sign you refer to is actually a different one.

There are actually 5 Dungeons in the UK - London, Edinburgh, York, Blackpool Tower and Warwick Castle

Your feedback will be shared with the team, as we do use guest comments to make improvements. We are all now working towards the standard of the new London Dungeon but it is a work in progress in an old building, and with 12 years worth of shows and theming!
Many thanks, and we hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

I visited the dungeons with my fiancé. I didn't know what expect as never been before. But must say I loved it. It was funny and scary at the same time. Made me jump a couple times that's for sure. But I would go again

EDMarketing, Public Relations Manager at The Edinburgh Dungeon, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Hello and thanks for your brief review. We're glad to hear you enjoyed the experience and felt it was both scary and funny as that's what we're aiming for!

Reviewed November 19, 2013

Really enjoyed my time in the dungeons!!went to the Amsterdam dungeons previously and was interested to see the comparisons!have to say,it didn't disappoint!!we didn't have to wait long to get in,most actors were very professional and entertaining and really gave us plenty of frights with the occasional laugh!some rooms were more interesting and entertaining than others but i was always excited to see what came next!the highlight was definitely the death drop at the end!wanted to do it again haha!only disappointing aspect was the fact that the computer machine was broken at the end so we were unable to buy the death drop photo!!:( however i really enjoyed my overall experience and would recommend it to anyone looking for something entertaining,fun and different to do on their trip to Edinburgh!!:)

Hello and thanks for writing us a review. We're glad to hear you really enjoyed your tour of the Dungeon. We do try to keep you on your toes throughout the tour so you never know what's coming next! Our photo processing department hasn't actually been broken but was temporarily offline as we installed brand new equipment, so there are now even more exciting photos to choose from!
Many thanks for your recommendation.