“I would not recomend it”

Harajuku Kitchen Japanese Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Harajuku Kitchen Japanese Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #349 of 2,591 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: We are smart casual japanese bistro. Authentic Japanese owned restaurant and provide wholesome food.
Reviewed April 4, 2014

We did not really like their sushi. I have tried quite a few sushi restaurants and not even the rice was good.

1  Thank Mike S

Reviewed April 1, 2014

If you like Japanese food you owe it to yourself to eat here. We've been fortunate enough to have visited Japan on a number of occasions and this compares very favourably as authentic, fresh and cooked to order. The service is a tad slow but the restaurant was busy and the food clearly freshly cooked - a small price to pay for such fantastic food. We had 2 [different] mackerel dishes and both were cooked to perfection. The green tea is also first class. Will definitely go back.

2  Thank Ceridwen56
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Having read the good reviews we thought we would give it a try. The service was rather slow and the starters arrived five minutes apart. I ordered the vegetarian gyozo dumplings and had unfortunately eaten one before I realised they were pork. As I have been vegetarian for over 25 years to say I was upset is an understatement. After speaking to the waitress the owner came over and was very apologetic and gave us a note for two complimentary mains next time we visit. While appreciating her desire to resolve the situation I am not sure we will return as if you are vegetarian this is unacceptable. We did not stay for our main courses.

4  Thank foodfan281
Richard L, Owner at Harajuku Kitchen Japanese Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Thanks for leaving your feedback and, to add to my business partner's apologies, can I also extend mine.

Harajuku Kitchen has a very loyal vegetarian following and we've received excellent feedback on our range and quality of vegetarian dishes and we're all very upset you were given the pork gyoza, instead of the vegetarian ones.

It was a simple case of human error. We normally put a piece of parsley on plates containing the vegetarian gyoza, which lets the floor staff know which one is which. Unfortunately on the way up from the kitchen, this blew off the plate, which resulted in the mistake.

What we've done to stop this happening again, is to colour code the plates, to stop any potential confusion.

Despite your call for vegetarians to give us a miss, I can assure you and all vegetarians, we do our utmost to respect your principles and we're already planning further, creative ways to extend our vegetarian menu.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Richard & Kaori

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Wonderful authentic Japanese food at affordable prices. Sushi was the freshest I have ever had. Nice friendly atmosphere with modern and airy decor. Will be back again in April with a larger group. Great place at my local long awaited for.

1  Thank bumybaj
Reviewed March 15, 2014

This place was tough to find on the web (it only opened a couple of months ago) but it was well worth the search. The sushi was excellent - the fish tasted really fresh and melted in your mouth. The service was good and the food came quickly even on a busy Friday night. It's currently not got a drinks licence so bring a bottle!

1  Thank FrankMordaunt