“Best Japanese outside of Japan!”

Harajuku Kitchen Japanese Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Harajuku Kitchen Japanese Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #351 of 2,460 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We are smart casual japanese bistro. Authentic Japanese owned restaurant and provide wholesome food.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Japanese outside of Japan!”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I visited this place last Friday after a recommendation from a friend and what a great find.

The decor and atmosphere were fun and friendly. We had such a friendly welcome and felt so comfortable in such great surroundings.

My partner and I had the gyoza dumplings which were apparently made using outdoor reared pork, which I think gave them their juicy, tasty flavour.

We then had rainbow roll between us, which was fantastic. The fish tasted so fresh and the everything was so perfectly presented.

Then followed a katsudon and tonkatsu curry, which, again, didn't disappoint. The meat was perfectly cooked and so flavoursome. Everything had such a distinct, clean taste, we just loved it all.

Top marks Harajuku Kitchen, we'll be coming back soon.

1 Thank JaneMcNair

“Getting there”
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

The menu and prices were promising, the execution was a bit hit and miss. Service was patchy and I was really unimpressed with my katsu curry. The meat was dry, the curry sauce was lacking in flavour and the rice was overcooked. I had also failed to realise that it's BYOB only. That said, the rafute (Okinawan pork belly) was really superb when I reordered it after the waitress missed it off my order the first time around. I'm not sure I've ever seen it on a menu in the UK, but this was the genuine article, rich and unctuous with an incredible depth of flavour.
There's a lot more to Japanese cuisine than sushi and Harajuku Kitchen is trying to deliver some of these other dishes. However, they need to deliver all their dishes to the same high standard of authenticity as their rafute to do Japanese cuisine full justice.
I really think they need to get themselves a licence if at all possible, because all the food that they serve is always enjoyed with ice cold Asahi, Kirin etc in Japan.
I would also like to see properly executed yakitori with home made tare and maybe agedashidofu on the menu.
If they managed to deliver all that I would probably be there every night!

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Amac27
St. Andrews, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Food But Service Lets it Down.”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Dined here recently with friends after sampling some of there products at a local market. Food was top quality, having spent a considerable amount of time in Japan I can say that all dishes were very authentic and delicious. The only area that is lacking is the service; we waited around 20 minutes to be served, drinks order was wrong, one of my dining companions meals was forgotten then had to wait another 20 minutes after asking for the bill. Pricing was very reasonable. Service issues aside this is a great little place to visit if you are in the mood for Japanese food.

1 Thank John_U1
Richard L, Owner at Harajuku Kitchen Japanese Bistro, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Hi John,

Thank you for the review, we do love to hear about the quality of food, service and atmosphere at Harajuku Kitchen and appreciate the time you've taken to give us a review.

We're glad to hear you loved the food, and we're all very disappointed at the standard of service you received when you were in. It was certainly unacceptable.

Service is always something we strive to get right every time and, as we're getting busier, it's something we're really trying to sharpen up on. We've recently added on an extra staff member on busy nights and are investing in a new ordering system which will help a great deal in perfecting our service. These are two things we're confident will really make a difference

We hope you come back and see us soon and would love to hear your feedback, if you do. Just ask for Richard or Kaori.

All the very best,

Richard.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not just for sushi lovers.....”
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Great place to check out if you are a sushi lover and even if you are not then the pork curry dishes and vegetarian rolls are an excellent alternative to fish.

Presentation to the dishes were awesome, it really looks like a work of art. There is a quirky little desert of green tea mouse and chocolate pieces which looks exactly like a plant pot.

I’d highly recommend the Dragon Roll – yummy.

1 Thank Sarah M
Perth, United Kingdom
“Great Find”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I had never eaten Japanese food and from the experience I had it will certainly not be the last time!!! Loved it!

I met 11 friends at the restaurant and most of us had never tried Japanese food before so we asked for them to serve up a random selection. Lets just say everyone had their eyes wide open every time the waiter brought out the next round of colourful and well presented food.

They did not rush us through each course and we had a great room all to ourselves that we could relax in between dishes.

Well worth the visit and planning a trip back in a few weeks time

• Visited December 2013