“Nice Apartment near city centre”

Fountain Court Apartments - Morrison
Ranked #58 of 211 Specialty Lodging in Edinburgh
Galway
“Nice Apartment near city centre”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

The apartments are in a good location and well equipped. The street is quite busy and noisy which was a small problem as we had the windows open due to the warm weather. The parking and check-in is all based on grove street which is 100 metres away. The staff were friendly. The apartment was very clean and cleaning staff came to clean each day we were there. Definitely a nice alternative to staying in a hotel.
I would look to the grove street apartments if I was bringing a car again as the parking is located adjacent to the apartments .

Room Tip: Check out grove street apartments if you want quieter location
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Seanof

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Polish first
barcelona
Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

We've spent three nights at the fountaincourt morrison apartments. It feels more like a dorm than an aparthotel, but the place is clean and safe. The main entrance to the building and corridor are rundown and dirty, but things improve in the apartment. The appliances work well, but be warned - there is no coffee maker!! A kettle and instant coffee are provided, though.
We have a back-facing room so street noise is not an issue. The fire doors in the corridor are very noisy, though, but we haven't had any other residents making noise at night.
Overall, this place is clean, affordable and has a good kitchen, so you can save some money on meals. The location is convenient to Haymarket, but there is a walk to the main attractions. There is no lift in the building, so keep this in mind if you have mobility problems.

• Stayed July 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I spent a week staying in this apartment while at a conference and was very happy with it. Yes, the building isn't brand new and the other things people have written about the reception and lack of lifts are true, but the apartment was clean, well-serviced and spacious (apart from the bedroom which was a little cramped). The staff are extremely courteous and friendly, including the ones who service the rooms. The location is very convenient and overall value for money is great. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Yes, you do have to walk a couple blocks to the reception to get your keys. And, NO, there is no lift so do not book if climbing stairs is a problem. That being said, my husband and I were utterly delighted with the accommodation, which was spacious, clean, warm (heaters worked well), well-serviced, and had every amenity we could want and then some: oven, microwave, tv, washer/dryer, dishwasher, dinnerware, cutlery, tea, coffee, electric kettle, condiments, etc. I give it 5-stars based on quality for value. If you are on a budget and can carry your own luggage up several flights of stairs, and if you want to eat in every now and then to save on costs, this is for you. Another advantage is that it is only a 5-10 minute walk from the Haymarket train station, so if you're planning a day trip you can catch your train without having to go all the way to the Waverly station. There is a Sainsbury nearby and several fastfood places and a kiosk that stays open till 11pm.

So it's not the Ritz. But I've stayed in lots of budget hotels and I only wish they were all this great!

Room Tip: Street has several bars so the guys can get a little noisy. Was not a problem for us.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Although the Morrison branch is close to the station, one needs to go over to another branch further away to check in with a receptionist who was neither welcoming, nor courteous. We regretted our decision to book there the moment we stepped into the run-down building with its dirty staircases, corridors and smelly rooms! It was a miserable experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Fountain_Court, Reception Manager at Fountain Court Apartments - Morrison, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent stay which I was surprised to receive having had no adverse comments during your 3 night stay.

Your comments also seem contrary to other recent reviews.

I would be grateful if you would contact me directly in order that I may discuss your comments.

Kind Regards

Stephen Kinnear
Reception Manager
stephen.kinnear@fountaincourt.com
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stayed at this apartment for seven nights and enjoyed our stay there. The space is nice and clean, the WIFI works well as do all the equipments (stove, toaster, fridge and dishwasher). There is also a washing machine but we didnt use it. If you do not need serviced accom, this is not the best value for you. When booking be mindful of the low 45 pounds per night that is advertised. We found out that in fact of our 7 days we paid between 75 and 86 pounds per nigh we somehow missed the 45 pounds deal.

The building is a little worn and a nasty toilet smell upon entering the building; the reception area is not in the building itself but it is accessible about 3.5 to 5.5 minutes walk up the street depending on if you have children, difficulties walking, etc. Reception is pleasant and helpful. We think that the toilet floors are not washed regularly but the place is clean so that is easy to miss. The same little crumbs and marks were on the floor when we got there and after it was serviced the one time that we allowed them in to clean. We were VERY happy with the heating system and if you are generally cold you will likely need heat because it is damp and chilly in Edi.

The place is conveniently located close to on major bus/train (Haymarket) station and walking distance (30 minutes) from the shopping area on Princess St. and many of the other wonderful places that Edi has to offer. This place is also accessible to many other buses that take you around the city and beyond.

If you are travelling from the Canada or the US be prepared for your pocket book to take a hit.

Room Tip: Serviced daily, has dishwasher, washer and nice hot water. Has no lift/elevator, ask for the first f...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I thought this was an incredible deal. I know Morrison is the "economy" building for this company, but I did not feel like I was staying anywhere that was in any way sub-optimal. I guess the real "economy" aspects of this apartment are that it a) lacks a lift, and b) lacks an in-house reception. However, as a youngish and experienced solo traveler, I don't mind stairs (and there aren't that many flights). Moreover, reception is a VERY short walk down the street (and it's a pretty straight shot -- you can't get lost). I was a little surprised to see a few travelers on here complain about the walk from reception, and it made me wonder if google was wrong about it being two tenths of a mile. Future travelers, rest assured: it is only two tenths of a mile. Five minutes, tops.

The apartment really had everything I could want, and it was serviced daily. Washer/dryer and dishwasher were particularly nice bonuses. I was a little apprehensive about being toward the front of the building, after I re-checked tripadvisor and saw that I had neglected to request a room away from potential noise disruptions, but it wasn't an issue while I was there (a full week). The bed was comfortable.

It was my first time to Edinburgh so I didn't even realize how accessible everything was going to be on foot -- but it really, really is. You can take a bus into the center, but in June, there was no need for it. Just a pleasant 10-20 minute walk depending on where you're going. Everything about this was all that I had hoped for, and more.

One small word of caution: they do block certain video streaming websites (such as youtube) and limit bandwidth to ensure that everyone gets a decent signal. This was a *little* annoying for me because when I travel I usually video chat with people back home, and it did make the connection less than optimal. I was on an extended multi-city trip so it was kind of a big deal for me, and this apartment ultimately had the worst connection of anywhere I stayed. It did work and it was okay for the most part, but it got a little frustrating at times. Just something to be prepared for -- but I expect the vast majority of guests will be satisfied with the internet. Standard browsing is not a problem.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo