“great location”

53 Frederick Street
Ranked #26 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 6, 2013

My daughters and i travelled to Edinburgh to celebrate my daughters 40th birthday. Two of us from Nottinghamshire and one from Inverness .We found the room to be clean and very spacious, and the location just perfect.The breakfast in the Cafe next door was perfect too.They provided a great choice of menu.All in all i would highly reccomend it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 33carolc

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Firstly the location is fantastic - close to the swanky bars of George Street and the homely pubs of Rose Street. Many great places to eat right on your doorstep.
Now for the room - ours was sizable with high ceilings, clean with ample tea and coffee available. It had TV, DVD player and radio alarm clock. There's a lounge area with books and DVD's to borrow. The bathroom was also clean and of a decent size, with complimentary shower gel and shampoo. My husband’s only gripe was with the mattress being too soft but I am aware that everyone has different requirements when it comes to mattress hardness but he still got a good night’s sleep. The rooms are cleaned on a daily basis. The staff who run the place are friendly and helpful and more than happy to offer recommendations for things to do during your stay.
I have read some reviews on here giving 1 star because of the number of stairs leading up to the accommodation. There are a number of stairs but this is a classic Edinburgh tenement which has been converted and as such maintains the stairs as this is a feature of all such buildings. Perhaps if this was highlighted on the B&B website it would avoid this being an issue to those who choose to stay here, but anyone with reasonable health should not be put off by this.
While the establishment itself does not have a restaurant/kitchen the breakfasts are served in "Rick's" which is a restaurant and bar next door. The choice of breakfasts is very good - teas, coffee and orange juices all served. Choices of fry up, pancakes, eggs benedict, muesli and yogurt etc.
All in all I would have no hesitation recommending this venue as it offers a perfect base to explore Edinburgh from.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I organised a group trip to Edinburgh and Tessa was more helpful then I could ever have hoped for, and both she and David more than accommodating during the stay itself.

The rooms were all spacious, despite a few being quadruples they never felt cramped due to the high ceilings and large windows, and they even managed to organise an extra couple of beds as we had some last minute extra visitors join us for one of the nights.

The addition of a lounge room, where we could all congregate was a life send, and similarly Rick's bar next dear where we took one of the highest quality breakfasts I have ever eaten.

All this was fantastic value, and can imagine paying twice as much for far less in a far larger guesthouse or chain hotel.

I cannot recommend this place more highly then saying a few of our group (including myself) are already planning a return visit and stay.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I travelled to Edinburgh with a couple of friends in February, we stayed in a beautiful and spacious Georgian triple room. We had an amazing weekend and the B&B was definitely one of the highlights. The breakfast served in the cafe' next door is also great. We found it to be great value for money and we would definitely recommend it any time. The staff is absolutely lovely and very helpful. Being a Georgian house, there are only stairs and no lift, might be a challenge for the diversely abled.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My 12 year old granddaughter and I took a last minute trip to Edinburgh and found No. 53 online. I decided to 'phone and book. I am so very glad I did as we had a wonderful stay from start to finish. James took our booking and was very friendly and helpful. The room was comfortable, clean and 'homely'. I booked a double but when we arrived my granddaughter was thrilled to see they had made up the sofabed for her. She lay in bed at night and watched a DVD. The location is perfect, being just off Princes Street with Rose St. close by. Tessa was also very welcoming and friendly, we didn't feel as if we were strangers we were made to feel very much at home. We can't really fault No. 53.....well, ONE complaint.....sadly we could only stay ONE night! We enjoy Edinburgh and have stayed in other places but No. 53 we hope will be OUR place in Edinburgh from now on. Thank you Tessa and James for a great stay in your beautiful guest house. God willing we will be back and would recommend it to anyone. Sorry for the delay in posting this!!!

Room Tip: If you have difficulty with mobility it would be best to have a lower room as there are lots of stai...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Are you a B&B or Hotel person?
We love the value for money that B&B's offer & don't need the "fancier" offerings of Hotels. 53 Frederick Street offers great value accommodation in the heart of this lovely city. Just a fifteen minute stroll from station & all the things you need.
Charming owners & clean, comfortable, rooms. Great breakfast (included) in the bistro next door.
A lot of stairs to cope with in this charming Georgian building, but all of Edinburgh presents a challenge to the less mobile, you will always be climbing up or down!

Reviewed March 4, 2013

We have just returned from a lovely trip to Edinburgh (well worth a visit if you've not been), and have stayed in this charming B&B. It is comprised of spacious georgian rooms on the top two floors of a town house, and breakfast is served in the restaurant in the basement. The rooms lacked the sterility of so many hotels and it is SO central. Fantastic restaurants a few paces away!! The owners were very helpful.If you are a light sleeper, you may want to bring earplugs, as the central location means you may hear the noise of revellers, but otherwise it is great. I would recommend and definitely return. Enjoy
I can't comment on value as I was brought here for a treat.