Hotel Ceilidh-Donia
KM Central(Edinburgh)
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
1,077 results
All reviewsarthur's seatcity centresalisbury armsholyrood parkcommonwealth poolminute bus ridea quiet residential arearoyal milesmall hoteleggs benedictgreat hoststriple roombreakfast was includedfrequent busesgreat showerfriendly hotelno lift
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 1, 2014

We arrived needing medical attention for my husband which was swiftly offered vià annette. She quickly rearranged her staff's work so that our room could be prepared for an early check-in. A medical centre was within a five minute walk and my husband was seen by a doctor who had done some of her general practitioner training in our home city of Auckland, new zealand. Unbelievable! We so appreciated the advice and lovely room which the hotel provided. Great breakfasts were provided every morning also. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Our room was quiet and faced the garden which helped us to sleep as well as possible despite my husband's coughing. It was up one flight of stairs which were manageable with our international luggage.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2014

Dear Guests

OOOPPPSS, looks like I hit the wrong button and replied to the Review 2 down from your self, really sorry about that, Annette and I hope that your Husband is feeling better and that the rest of your Holiday went well, its great having the FREE NHS on our doorsteps..

Reviewed June 30, 2014

All of the 5 star reviews of this hotel are accurate. The hosts, Maxx and Annette, are wonderful. They are accessible, friendly and make sure you feel welcome. They are also very prompt and timely with email communication should you need to email them before your stay.

Annette was extremely helpful a great resource for restaurant suggestions and different places to visit in the city. I had an early AM excursion and she packed me a breakfast ahead of time. The rooms are clean and spacious. The hotel is easily accessible by bus. The buses run very frequently and take you right into the city. If you download the bus timetable apps onto your smart phone ahead of time, navigating the routes should not be a problem. The hotel is within walking distance to Arthur's seat. You can also walk into the city center if you choose, but buses are faster.

This a great place to stay with a great location and reasonable rates. You can not go wrong with choosing this B&B

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank William J

Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Lovely Review

Annette and I hope that Hubby is fit as a fiddle again, I know it may sound Gushy but our first duty running this Hotel is our Guests well being and happiness. We are lucky in that we have a Doctors Surgery just 3 mins walk away and the Hospital is 10 mins by Bus. We have been in the Hotel Business now for 30 years app and with 18 Rooms we know that the law of averages means that we will see unwell Travellers every Month, its GREAT to have the NHS on our doorsteps..

Delighted that you loved our Rooms and Breakfast, hope the Auckland Sunshine is helping Hubby to get well..

Reviewed June 29, 2014

on arrival we were met by a rather rude gentleman, who had lots to comment on and questions to ask, making us feel quite unwanted and uncomfortable. However the lady owner of the hotel was charming and very helpful. She put us at ease and we soon settled into the very pleasant environment of this well located hotel. Rooms were good, with ensuite facilities that get a gold star for cleanliness, Breakfast was well organised and delightful, choice of many items, quickly served.

Room Tip: no lift so stairs have to be climbed, but only one flight for us
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Graham S
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

Dear Reviewee

Thank you for your honest comments and your lovely thoughts on the Hotel, there are maybe 50 Guest Houses/BnBs and Hotels near our own Hotel and I do not know of any that have Lifts/Elevators..
I take it that I am the rude Gentleman in QUESTION, oops sorry about the Capitals there but it is just my sense of humour and unfortunately some peoples find it to be too quirky, I apologise to you and your friends. We have nearly 1,000 people check in and check out every month in our Hotel, some people arrive very tired and Jet lagged and my first thought is to make people feel welcome and at ease, I think I tried to cheer you up with reading your signature (Calligraphy, I studied it 35 years ago) and it went pear shaped, ifnu come back to us again maybe we can have a chin wag..

P.s

I have just had a lady say to me as she was going out for dinner that she was sorry that when she arrived she was a bit offhand with me as she was tired and needed some food, so we are indeed all connected in this Life..

Reviewed June 25, 2014

A hotel within walking distance to both Holyrood Park with Arthur's Seat and Edinburgh Castle which provides all you need for a reasonably fair price if you don't want to spend a lot of time at the hotel. Remember to ask for strong coffee though, or add instant coffee which is provided for free.

Plus:
- Flexible and service minded hosts.

Minus:
- There is no parking place, but not too hard to find one on the street.
- Although there is free WiFi, you may need to consider another hotel if a fast Internet connection is important.
- Our sink was small, and it's hard to get hot water because of the tap design.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank JonasRosengren

Dear Reviewee

Thanks for the compliments and yes our Location is superb as we are just 10 mins by Bus to Town and a few mins walk to Arthur Seat.
Coffee is such a personal thing that over 30 years in this Business we found that like Salt and Sugar it is easier to add than subtract form Food or Coffee, we do when asked provide a Caff tier and Guests can have Coffee or Tea as strong as they like.
We advertise on our Website and on our Pre-arrival e-mails that we have two parking spaces on a first come served basis but in all the years here at the Hotel Ceilidh-Donia I have never ever failed to get parking for our Guests Cars within 150 yards of the Hotel.
We have for 15 years here at the Hotel Ceilidh-Donia provided FREE Internet access and we have always provided FREE Laptops and printers for our Guests but todays I Pads, I Phones etc etc demand more G-bytes than most Hotels can provide if all Guests want to Download at the same time but we guarantee Wi-Fi in our Bar/Lounge and with the Two FREE Laptops/FREE Paper for Printing your Boarding Passes in the Bar what’s not to like.

The Bathrooms/Sinks/Showers all meet with the Scottish Tourist Board standards and you may be the first person to alert us to this issue, this Hotel is a Georgian Townhouse and space can be problematic but we do meet all STB grading with all our Rooms and Shower Suites, honest.

In this day and age of instant access to the Internet with Google Maps and Tripadvisor it is still a mystery when people are traveling and staying a few days in different Hotels/Guests Houses find such trivial things to be annoying, when in Rome do as the Roman’s do Methinks..

Reviewed June 23, 2014

This is a comfortable,intimate hotel within easy reach of the city centre and not far from the bus stop.It is quiet and set well back from any busy roads.The room was clean and tidy and the breakfast was up to a good standard.They have a nice cosy bar as well.

The star of the hotel is the owners dog whose party piece is removing the owners spectacles.

An enjoyable stay and it would have been nice if it had been longer.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Dear Reviewee

Thanks for a lovely review of our Wee Edinburgh Hotel, and yes you are right Keilidh is the Star of the Hotel, she had five puppies with our first Golden Retriever called Keltic who is sadly in the Sky Kennel along with a little Puppy who just managed to get 11 months, he died last year and he is so sadly missed..