“Practically perfect in every way!”

Hotel Ceilidh-Donia
Ranked #6 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed March 3, 2014

My partner and I were lucky enough to stay in this wonderful hotel this weekend on a brief jaunt to Edinburgh; from first setting foot in the door of Ceilidh-Donia we had had a thoroughly enjoyable stay there, and intend to go back later in the year.

After reading so many positive reviews on TripAdvisor, I was a little concerned we'd be disappointed in reality; I can say wholeheartedly that all of the positivity is well-deserved! The room we had was lovely; warm, spacious, equipped with everything you could possibly need (including a marvellous alarm clock with an iPod dock) and so clean even the chrome lightswitches were spotless and smudge-free! You can tell that there is (justifiably) great pride taken in the running of this hotel.

Previous reviewers have commented on the awesome power-showers and again, I was not disappointed, the one we had was by far the best I've experienced in a hotel and possibly the best I've ever experienced full stop! Breakfast was also just as fantastic as previous reviews have outlined, there are so many options available and it is all freshly-cooked and delicious. One particular thing that delighted me was the provision of two different types of artificial sweeteners for tea/coffee: not only is it rare for sweeteners to be available in general, but catering for fusspots like me who are anti-aspartame is even rarer! This sums up the careful attention to detail that makes Hotel Ceilidh-Donia so fantastic, it genuinely feels like every tiny detail has been thought of.

We were also lucky enough to meet the resident blonde bombshell Keilidh the dog, who greeted us as we arrived downstairs for breakfast by rolling on her back to have her tummy rubbed! We are dog-lovers and owners ourselves, but I got the impression that this lovely girl doesn't bother non-dog-loving guests as she is so placid and laid-back.

The hotel is very handy for the heart of the Old Town, being a very short (and inexpensive) bus ride away or a pleasant short stroll if you're that way inclined. We are both of unfit/round builds and we managed it in 25mins with no puffing, so it'd be a breeze for most other people!

Having had an abysmal dining experience in the city on Saturday night, I am happy to say that the warmth, comfort and overall wonderful-ness of the hotel was enough to prevent our weekend being a complete waste of time, as our brief time at the hotel made up for the dreadful meal we had in the town (a review of which I will be writing post haste to warn other travellers!!). Many thanks to Annette and Maxx (and their brilliant staff) for such an enjoyable stay - hopefully, we will be back in the near future (and I'll bring a few more dog biscuits for Keilidh!) :-) x

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lu T
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Fabulous Review of the Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, my Room Angels will be well happy tomorrow when I tell them at Breakfast time (Staff all eat together in the morning) that you even noticed the Light Switches get the odd polish up, Ann has been here with the three previous Owners and with Jill they polish their way around the Hotel, sometimes it feels like a Scene from a Walt Disney Movie! ? (Ooops copyright ?), Yea you know the one, so start whistling, ha ha ha.

We never take any Review for granted and we never forget that it is you on Holiday, whilst we are not Luxurious we try to offer Value for Money and with the Girls Upstairs and Annette and Janet in the Kitchen looking after our Guests in the Morning, well I can have a Long Sleep, ha ha ha Just Kidding, Zzzzzzzzzz..

Hope I am not breaking any Trippy rules but the marvellous Showers are made by Aqualisa and have a Low Voltage Pump in them and are really fabby.
The Blonde bombshell says Woof Woof and mind the Biscuits next time..

Reviewed February 27, 2014

My partner and i just spent 3 nights at the hotel Ceilidh-Donia .
What a beautiful B&B and awesome hosts to match.
We had checked out trip adviser and decided that so many good reviews couldn't be wrong.
Our room was spacious and so very clean, had a lovely view out of our 1st floor window facing Arthur's seat
The bed was heaven, the best bed we have slept in on our travels
The breakfast every morning was amazing ( I even tried haggis and loved it)
The small touches were the best, being an Aussie the first thing I noticed at breakfast was a jar of VEGEMITE!
We felt right at home and loved our stay.
I can't recommend this place highly enough.
If in Edinburgh look know further you will not be disappointed.
Many thanks Anne and Maxx the place is a credit to you both.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Angie C

Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Sparkling Review of our Hotel, it certainly SMILES ME UP when previous Guest take time to write a review of our Hotel, especially as they may have stayed in a lot of other places on their travels. Without sounding like an acolyte to The Trippy (my name for Tripadvisor) in the Dark Ages before Trippy, GUESTS were like Children they could be seen but not HEARD and we Hoteliers, B and Bs and Guest House owners just dilly dallied along hoping that our product was excellent but now with Trippites (new word) such as ourselves we can ascertain more precisely what we need to offer and improve on, Initially this was a hassle but it did not take long for me personally to enjoy the Wee Banter sessions that I can now have with my previous Guests online such as your good selves.. When you think of it Trippy is the best FREE Marketing Advice you can get and with no Middle Men/Woman to reward, just you, us and Trippy...

Maxx.

P.s Do you come from a Land Down Under? tee heee, OK so I will keep the OL Vegamighty on the Menu in OL Blighty for you Mateee, Ha Ha ha tee heee..

Reviewed February 26, 2014

Max and Anne were lovely hosts and made me feel very welcome. I loved Ceilidh who carried her many toys around the place because I felt like being at home which was very much appreciated. The food was excellent and I enjoyed walking to and from the main city which was a bit of a long walk but you only have to walk along the main road. Thank you for a lovely experience!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank seyahc
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Dear Reviewee

Thanks for a really great Review, glad to know that you felt at Home and Keilidh was a great Big Fluff ball for you, she says Bow Wow and says Put another Shrimp on the Barbie Sheila, ha ha ha..

Maxx..

P.s Sheila is from the Scottish Girls name called Shelagh..

So put another Tinny on the Barbie Bruce, Och there I go again Bruce is the name of one of our Scottish King's if not THEE Scottish King

Reviewed February 24, 2014

I only have good things to say about this hotel. Nice rooms, calm location in residential area (2 mins to bus stop), excellent breakfast cooked at order and the owners are super friendly! When we came back from town one night Maxx shared some great stories about Scottish and Swedish (!) history and a Lagavulin, many thanks!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

I
Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Terrific Review, aha the North Sea has been a great Motorway for the Ships between Scotland and the Scandinavian Countries for Centuries and probable long before any one wrote our Histories down and I am sure that all the Countries that share the North Sea were the one peoples when the Sea was Dry some 13,000 years ago but Hey Ho I don't have TIME for all that now, Ha ha ha teeehee, till we meet the King called Lagavulin again together..

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Had a wonderful 3 night stay, Monday 17/02/14 to Thursday 20/02/14. Location is ideal at the foot of Arthur's Seat and just a short bus ride, of which buses are plentiful, to the City Centre. The tasty and plentiful breakfast, just about totally negated the need for lunch and really sets you up for a day walking round Edinburgh. The room and bed were both extremely clean and comfortable, as was the bathroom. Hosts extremely friendly and I now would not consider staying anywhere else on my next trip to Edinburgh.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Fabby review of the Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, aha negated now there is a word that I have not used for a wee whily, it is a great wee wordy to save a lot of other wee wordies, Och why did I bother to say that, I negated, tee heee, to say thanks to you for letting other Tripadvisor readers know that a Guid Breakfast in our Wee Hotel will set you up for the day and save you buying Lunch.

The Room Angels will be pleased when I tell them how much you liked their handy work..

Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

We have nothing but nice things to say about this hotel. The couple who run it are warm and friendly (with a gorgeous dog) and gave us loads of information that we found very helpful. Nice big room which was clean and comfortable including the bathroom which was immaculate. The bar was well stocked and had a friendly atmosphere with a cozy little sitting area. The breakfast was unreal. So so tasty and theres a lot of choice and variety which was fantastic. Really enjoyed our stay and would definitely come back!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sarahstar9
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2014

My Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for your Lovely Review, I think one of the beautiful things of travelling is the excitement of the great unknown about your chosen destination, accommodation, and the people that you will meet, hey and that's all great but what you don't want is to get lost, so when people Book our Hotel we send them our personalised Map of Edinburgh and lots of Local Info so that they are orientated before they arrive, we feel that gives our Guests a Localised feel before the arrival date.

I am also delighted that our Room Angels are using their Wings to dust and hoover the Rooms, tee hee heee. The great British Breakfast to me is unsurpassable and if it’s freshly cooked and most importanto it is HOT then that will set you up for the day visiting my Beautiful Mistress called Edinburgh..
Edinburgh is like a friend that you have not yet met but once visited it is a Friend that you will never forget

Maxx..

P.s A previous Guest last night reminded me that her late Husband and her Daughter loved our Wee Hotel saying of MyKy - Miss you Kiss you, so MyKy.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

really hard to find anything wrong about the hotel. it's a family-owned, boutique hotel, and everyone involved in the operation was super friendly and helpful. the rooms are very nice, very clean and the bathrooms, though small, are nicely equipped, with good water pressure and temperature. the location is good; around a 30 minute walk from the tourist attractions and a 2 minute walk from the nearest bus stop.

the best thing about this place is, however, the breakfast. i can't praise the food enough.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank drsoum
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Great Review, when People tell us that they Loved our Breakfasts, well it certainly makes all the early morning starts well worth the while and I will tell Annette and Janet tomorrow about your comments, me! ? well, I just go out earlier to Shoot the Three Legged Haggis and Fish in the Loch for the Black Pudding Big Tailed Fish, honest it was this BIG, tee hee heeeeee..