My partner and I were lucky enough to stay in this wonderful hotel this weekend on a brief jaunt to Edinburgh; from first setting foot in the door of Ceilidh-Donia we had had a thoroughly enjoyable stay there, and intend to go back later in the year.
After reading so many positive reviews on TripAdvisor, I was a little concerned we'd be disappointed in reality; I can say wholeheartedly that all of the positivity is well-deserved! The room we had was lovely; warm, spacious, equipped with everything you could possibly need (including a marvellous alarm clock with an iPod dock) and so clean even the chrome lightswitches were spotless and smudge-free! You can tell that there is (justifiably) great pride taken in the running of this hotel.
Previous reviewers have commented on the awesome power-showers and again, I was not disappointed, the one we had was by far the best I've experienced in a hotel and possibly the best I've ever experienced full stop! Breakfast was also just as fantastic as previous reviews have outlined, there are so many options available and it is all freshly-cooked and delicious. One particular thing that delighted me was the provision of two different types of artificial sweeteners for tea/coffee: not only is it rare for sweeteners to be available in general, but catering for fusspots like me who are anti-aspartame is even rarer! This sums up the careful attention to detail that makes Hotel Ceilidh-Donia so fantastic, it genuinely feels like every tiny detail has been thought of.
We were also lucky enough to meet the resident blonde bombshell Keilidh the dog, who greeted us as we arrived downstairs for breakfast by rolling on her back to have her tummy rubbed! We are dog-lovers and owners ourselves, but I got the impression that this lovely girl doesn't bother non-dog-loving guests as she is so placid and laid-back.
The hotel is very handy for the heart of the Old Town, being a very short (and inexpensive) bus ride away or a pleasant short stroll if you're that way inclined. We are both of unfit/round builds and we managed it in 25mins with no puffing, so it'd be a breeze for most other people!
Having had an abysmal dining experience in the city on Saturday night, I am happy to say that the warmth, comfort and overall wonderful-ness of the hotel was enough to prevent our weekend being a complete waste of time, as our brief time at the hotel made up for the dreadful meal we had in the town (a review of which I will be writing post haste to warn other travellers!!). Many thanks to Annette and Maxx (and their brilliant staff) for such an enjoyable stay - hopefully, we will be back in the near future (and I'll bring a few more dog biscuits for Keilidh!) :-) x
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A warm Scottish welcome awaits at the Hotel Ceilidh-donia, Edinburgh. Hotel Ceilidh-Donia Edinburgh offers great value three star accommodation when visiting Edinburgh, the historic capital city of Scotland. Max and Annette Preston, together with their children Hayley and Struan, invite you to enjoy your holiday, City break or business trip in Edinburgh at the Hotel Ceilidh-donia with full facility accommodation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, HostelWorld, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Hotwire, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Hotel Ceilidh-Donia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ceilidh Donia Hotel Edinburgh
- Hotel Ceilidh-Donia Edinburgh, Scotland