“Peace and calm from the bustle of Edinburgh!”

Hotel Ceilidh-Donia
Ranked #6 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Just got back from a thoroughly enjoyable two nights in Hotel Ceilidh-Donia. Was a great location (a ten minute bus journey from the next street to the Royal Mile) - but with it it brought a nice break from the winter hustle and bustle of the city centre. Gorgeous townhouse on a quiet street - Annette and Maxx are clearly proud of their hotel and couldn't have asked for better hosts. Great breakfasts with lots of choice, beer on demand from the bar and just generally a warm feel. Can't wait to go back at some point!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jamesw8112
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear Reviewee

Many Moons of thanks for a wonderful Review, it is great when People find us and want to come back, I think that is always the best compliment, hope that you notice some new changes if you do come back, changes and continual improvements are our Two Standard Bearers.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

I am not a B&B type person but will be if all others are ran like this place. The owners/workers/operators were the happiest, most cheerful people you will ever meet. They could not do enough for you as the customer. It makes me relive the days when customers were number one and you feel it here. The rooms were just enough as I came not for the room but to be out in the town. Albeit the B&B facility is a bit older, the owners have made it possible to have the items necessary to live in the 21st century: wifi, flat screen tv, ipod station, and DVDs to checkout if its cold and rainy and you want to settle in for the night. Plenty of breakfast options which adds to the value so you are not paying extra someplace else. Location is not on the main drag (Royal Mile) but close enough with a little walking or right near the buses. In fact, because its off the main drag its very quiet. You can hike up on Arthur's seat which is almost around the corner. It does not have an elevator so if you have a lot of luggage ask for something near ground floor. Not every place is perfect and to be fair if there was a negative, it would be the old sink system where you have a faucet for hot and faucet for cold. I forgot what it was like to mix the two in the sink to get the right temperature. And I had trouble figuring out how to work the old radiator. Got too hot the first night but figured it out the next day. Ask them how to set it when you arrive and I am sure they would show you. I would go back for another stay here.

Room Tip: Due to no elevators ask for something close to ground floor if you have a lot of luggage or trouble...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Needyouradvice

Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a great review, we are glad that you felt welcome and that you felt a happy ambience in the Hotel. The Staff from the Cook to the Room Angels and our part time Students are encourage to have Input into what we should offer our Travelling Guests and our Main three Ladies, Janet (Cook), Anne and Gill our very own Room Angels who clean and Fluff things up for you when you come back to the hotel after a day of adventure, they have been here with us since we bought this Hotel 14 years ago come the 9th February.

Well glad you liked our modern facilities, we like the idea of Smart TVs in all our Rooms so our Guests can Surf the Net but we are not sure that they are compatible with lots of People playing around with the Controls, maybe next year..

Reviewed November 20, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here recently for a long weekend and we thoroughly enjoyed our time at the Hotel Ceilidh-Donia.

Our room was on the first floor and at the front of the building but this was not an issue as the road outside was traffic free. The room itself was extremely comfortable with everything we needed including a very reliable wireless internet connection.

The breakfast menu was good and had more variety than some places we've stayed, if you're on a gluten free diet then the staff are very accommodating and will adapt some of the dishes accordingly. There was one morning where my girlfriend was too ill to come down to breakfast and the staff were happy to prepare a meal for me to take up to the room for her.

The hotel is a little way out of town but with the excellent transport links just a short walk away this was not a problem.

Overall we felt that this is an excellent hotel, we will certainly be booking this again when we're next in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RandommanfromPoole

Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Sparkling Review, and yes we are not City Center but only two minutes walking away from the Main Road and Buses into Town, we are in a Quiet Residential Area but yet just four Minutes walking from the nearest Bar and Restaurants, Commonwealth Swimming Pool and the University Campus.

We are only to delighted to Offer Breakie in the Room when Guests who may need the added service, and yes we try to cater for Guests dietary needs, we never forget that it is you that is on Your Holidays..

Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights and could not recommend highly enough. Great price. Easy to find. On great bus route, reasonable taxi price or walk from city centre. Arrived early and left our bags. Got offered maps and any advice about edinburgh sights and travel. Room decent size and clean. Good shower with nice shower gel. plenty space for our stuff. Good heater for cold nights but got a fan if needed to cool down. Great fast wifi and good selection of freeview tv channels. Room cleaned quickly and well. Waited at breakfast as warned on menu but was worth it for a freshly cooked hot breakfast. Didn't even wait for long and it was cooked very well. Great selection of hot food, plenty cold food out and as much tea and coffee as you like. Comfy bed. Slept no bother. Off main road so no noise. Great staff who were pleasant and approachable but always professional. Will definitely stay again

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ali G
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Dear Revieweee
Many Moons of thanks for an absolutely cracking review, I could not have said better in a TV Advert for the Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, I hope readers believe me when I say I never wrote this, ha ha te heeee.

There does not seem to be a part of our Hotel or how we maintain or run this Wee Hotel that you have not touched on, I am glad also to see that you are a Senior Tripadvisor Reviewer, takes the heat of my earlier comment.

Ethos of our Hotel is simple, we continually try to Improve what we offer our Visitors, cozy, comfortable and content with good value for our Guests, our driving force is to keep trying to upgrade all our rooms and put in them the latest technologies (Recession permitting) and to this point may I add that we have recently put a Desk Point Pro Wi-Fi unit in all Rooms and hope our Guests have trouble free Surfing.
A Few Friends and a Few Drams of the Finest Scottish Whisky at the end of a day sightseeing anywhere in This Wee Blue Planet of ours would be Bliss for me.

Maxx

P.s .We also like our Staff to feel part of the Business and encourage their thoughts on the standard of the Rooms that they clean and the general feel of the Hotel, and we make sure they are paid well above the this Countries Living Wage..

Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

I could not fault this hotel one bit, the managers were excellent and very friendly. The room was very clean and could not fault the room either. My only small and o mean this is scrapping the barrel to find fault was the breakfast menu was a little to fixed and I would have like to be able to pick how much I could have on my plate. But like I said that is really really looking hard.

Excellent hotel and I would like to stop again very soon thank ceilidh donia hotel

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

Dear Revieweee
Many Moons of thanks for your Great Review, thanks for mentioning that you would like to be able to pick the items for your plate, like all Hotels and Restaurants we have to have a Menu so that Guest can choose their options, we have British, Veggie, American etc etc but as you can see from previous Guests reviews they love our breakfast but sometimes service can be slow and it would become slower if Guest could choose every Item.

Some establishments ask their Guest the night before to select their Breakfast for the next morning but that is not to help the Guest that is only to make it hassle free for the Kitchen in the Morning and possible prepping the night before, all our breakfast are Cooked to order which does take time.

The problem is if lots of Guest come down at the same time they possible will be oblivious to that fact but we are not and to Cook a Full Breakfast from start does take some time especially if it is a table of four people with a Full British order, add to that if we allowed Guest just to choose their own Breakie then the semblance of continuity for the Kitchen Staff can go haywire if everyone has a variation on a theme.

Imagine people going into a Restaurant and choosing anything that they wanted from a Menu, hey ho The Head Chef would be doing a Basle Faulty, ha ha, te he he..

Reviewed November 5, 2013

We chose this hotel because of the reviews on TripAdvisor and the competitive price. We were not disappointed. The room was very comfortable with a huge bed and a spotless bathroom and excellent shower. Breakfast was not speedy but I couldn't have cooked it better myself (I'm proud to be a good cook) poached eggs were always perfect. I'd rather have fresh food, and it gave me time to pour over my guide book and plan the day. Yes, it's not in the city centre, but even with dodgy weather, getting the bus there and back was just as easy as finding somewhere to park, no problem at all. Thanks for a great 3 nights.

Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Jane P

Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Fabby Review, all our Rooms are different shapes and sizes but we hope that they all have the same standard of cleanliness and usefulness. Our Location is an continuing immoveable talking point for our Guests but we are after all just 3 mins from the Main Bus route into Town, lots of Pubs and Restaurants with 10 minutes’ walk and as you point out it is FREE on street parking, so what’s not to like about that.

Aha Poached Eggs which can be the bane of many a Cook and person, I can’t Cook so I do not know what Annette and Janet’s secrets are but I am delighted as a good Cook yourself that you found them to be perfect.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

We cannot recommend this hotel too highly. We received a very warm welcome, a lot of friendly advice and a 10% discount card for a visit to Royal Yacht Britannia. As I had mentioned my dodgy knees, we were given the ground floor room for a disabled person. It is large and well appointed with en suite shower etc Beds were very comfortable and made up with very clean white bed linen and a good sized duvet. Breakfast was excellent and we did not mind waiting for our orders, as we'd been warned in the brochure that the food was cooked to order. We also had the bar snacks with an excellent bottle of John Smith's beer. This will definitely be our base when we next visit Edinburgh.

Room Tip: For elderly visitors, like us, the ground floor room is ideal. Marchhall Crescent is quiet and we w...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a lovely Review, we have two Ground floor rooms in the front lobby which are great for anyone with walking difficulties, one of the rooms is furnished with all the necessary kit needed for Ambulant People.
Delighted that the Trip to Britannia was a high point for you both, remember if you come back we have Concord nearby as well..
Good to know that our cozy wee Bar finished of your stay with us, Oops just remembered it was Belhaven Best Beer that you were drinking..