I first heard of this place on TA and the reviews were spot on.....
We stayed here for 2 nights in a triple room the second week of July and found it a wonderful experience - right from when I got in touch with Annette for the booking - till we waved her and Kelly goodbye - it was a warm and friendly interaction.
It is a short distance from the city centre, quite convenient by bus as Edinburgh is a small city. We bought Plus Bus tickets while booking our train tickets, which made commuting very easy and comfortable. (There was a slight confusion in the beginning as the bus driver thought we wanted to go to the 'Caledonia' instead of 'Kelly-Donia' and directed us there instead!!)
We were met by Max as Annette was away that evening. At first we were daunted by the task of carrying our baggage to the second floor, but the sight of the lovely room made up for it. It was a largish triple room with plenty of space to move around and seating by the bay window too to enjoy the lovely view of the volcano!! The beds were luxurious and comfortable (and we could have easily overslept if we were not in a hurry to see Edinburgh!!) The bathroom was huge and very well designed.... (No dearth of warm and cold water in the shower too.)
The selection of hot chocolate (which our daughter loved) along with tea, coffee, and water bottles was a thoughtful touch, as was the presence of the hair dryer. We couldn't have asked for more.
All in all, the room was comfortable, clean and pleasing to the eye, with every detail having been looked into finely. Seeing Annette working in the garden that night confirmed how they have nurtured this little jewel with their love and care.
The breakfast prepared by Annette and her staff was our first introduction to Scottish food - and what a hit it was!! Not only was it sumptuous and delicious, but the wide selection ensured that everyone found what they liked! (If memory serves me right, they were even geared for gluten free, vegan and vegetarian diets.)
Max's bar is his pride - do spend some time here. He was very helpful when it came to local recommendations. For dinner, we can recommend The Salisbury Arms - a pub across the road that Max directed us to. We loved their platter and the pies. Unfortunately, they closed early the next night, so we had to settle for fish and chips and pizzas from a takeaway nearby!!
And finally, the beautiful Kelly who stole our hearts - someone in an earlier review had described her as 'the dog who can speak" and she does!! Since we were missing our retriever back at home, our daughter was more than happy to spend time playing with her at every opportunity!! (I think we have more pictures of Kelly than of the B&B itself!!)
Thanks Annette and Max for a truly wonderful stay...we will be back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A warm Scottish welcome awaits at the Hotel Ceilidh-donia, Edinburgh. Hotel Ceilidh-Donia Edinburgh offers great value three star accommodation when visiting Edinburgh, the historic capital city of Scotland. Max and Annette Preston, together with their children Hayley and Struan, invite you to enjoy your holiday, City break or business trip in Edinburgh at the Hotel Ceilidh-donia with full facility accommodation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, HostelWorld, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Hotel Ceilidh-Donia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ceilidh Donia Hotel Edinburgh
- Hotel Ceilidh-Donia Edinburgh, Scotland