“CLEAN AS A WHISTLE”

Hotel Ceilidh-Donia
Ranked #6 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Just one night's stay was enough to identify a first: a hotel that had no adverse odour. Time and again the pong of cabbage or chemical cleaner has greeted us but not here. Nicely laid out room which was as individual as us; perhaps the result of a family run place as opposed to the usual McDonald's style chain.

Everyone was friendly an helpful and I have already recommended the hotel to others planning to visit that most brilliant of cities, Edinburgh.

Enjoy!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear Reviewee

Many Moons of thanks for a Terrific Review and well glad that you found our rooms as Individual as your self’s, sometimes having different shaped rooms can be a problem for continuity but we decide that all our Rooms should show some character to suit said Room.

And yes I do know what you mean about the wonderful odours when traveling and I know that all Hotels have their own characteristics so we are well delighted that if was pleasant..

Reviewed July 16, 2013

I was aware when I booked this hotel for five nights that I was getting what they called a "petite single" so I was pretty much prepared for the small room (#14). Although small, the room had a great view of Arthur's Seat (I believe) at the front of the house, high ceilings and had everything I required. The bed was okay and the room was certainly clean. They provided a small fan and there was a wall-mounted television. I didn't spend a lot of time in the room but I think it might have been a little claustrophobic after a while.

Each day they replenished the bottled water and the coffee or tea (I assume). I never had any issues with the wi-fi although they admitted they were still working out the kinks with the new system. It worked fine the entire time I was there.

Breakfast was excellent every morning and I found the Eggs Benedict especially tasty. There were enough different choices to keep most people happy. In the five weeks I was away, the coffee at the Ceilidh-Donia was probably the best I had. It was also great that they gave you some other options if you wanted to have a lie-in and missed breakfast hours.

Annette and the rest of the staff were great. Annette asked about my day every evening when I came back from my travels and had a drink in the bar while I checked e-mails and worked. The other staff members were great as well. Initially concerned about allergies and the dog, I never ran into any issues and barely noticed him/her.

As for location, the map provided before I left made it clear that the hotel is not in the center of town. The bus stop was 2 minutes away if you weren't into walking to the sites and would have you at Princes Street within a few minutes. The idyllic location more than made up for the distance.

The Salisbury Arms was a couple of minutes further on from the bus stop for a pint of beer in the beer garden or a meal in the restaurant and I stopped a couple of times.

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel for a visit to Edinburgh

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the house for a great view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Dear Reviewee

Many Moons of thanks for a Sparkling review and yes our Petite Single Room is small and just passes the grading for size but the Shower En-suite is of a decent size.
In these Town Houses unfortunately all rooms are of different sizes and shapes but whatever the room size be it a Double, Twin or Single we don't say one or the other is a Superior or Deluxe so accordingly we charge the same per type of room.

Al Markets change and we may have to adapt to this changing style of being more descriptive of our Rooms on offer. Indeed this Petite Room is planned for to be the Bathroom for the Room next door as we know that more and more people want larger Rooms and gone are the days of just offering En-Suite facilities..

I am really glad that you found our breakfast to be to your liking and will mention to Annette that her chosen coffee from all brands available was the right choice; we make as per the Instructions and never water it down.

H2H

Maxx

Reviewed July 6, 2013

First of all the best thing about this hotel is definitely the food. There's a lot of choices and they will even cook you up your choice of an omelette or even eggs Benedict was which was very very delicious. There were several
choices. I wouldn't say the hotel is close to the historic center but it's close enough for people who like to walk which we do. It's only a short five minute walk to the base of Holyrood mountain which is within view of the hotel. Don't miss it! It's a fantastic walk uphill or maybe a mountain and the view is amazing! Max and his wife are both both very friendly and we enjoyed talking to them. The room was it very well appointed and it was in front with a nice large window onto the street. Don't miss the restaurant Kismot, which is only a few blocks away and it is very very delicious. You will love it! I would totally recommend this hotel to people who are on some kind of budget but maybe want to splurge a little bit.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Jon M
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear Reviewee

Many Moons of thanks for a Sparkling review, I see that you are a Top Contributor with Tripadvisor and you have visited 174 Cities Worldwide, wow, and for you to think so highly of our food and Hotel it is certainly the highest of compliments.

I am glad that you liked Arthur's Seat in my beloved City of Edinburgh, it is my favourite Jewel amongst so many in her Crown, this extinct Volcano has three Loch's nestling in its protective skirt, a 500 year old Pub, a 900 year old Church and to top it off it has two Golf Courses on its south side that protect the Bird Sanctuary next to the Church, a truly wonderful setting.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Very good service and very friendly and welcoming staff. Breakfast was fine, but I missed fresh fruit salad as an option. Max is a great barman who has a friendly word of wisdom for everyone. Room was clean and comfy, but our room being situated near the entrance of the hotel, we had some noice from the other guests coming and going. All in all we had a lovely stay here.

When going to the city center you need to take the bus, but that isn't a problem, there are more than enough busses, we never had to wait for longer than ten minutes.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for a great review, I am sorry if other Guests coming and going created a noise for you but unfortunately we are a Town House Hotel and by Law we have to provide Ground Floor Rooms and all Hotels have some kinda noise going on at times.

Edinburgh's Bus service is second to none and we are but a 2 min walk from the Bus Route and app Twenty 4 minutes’ walk into Town, there are Pubs and Restaurants within 5 mins walk..

Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Great place to stay. Only complaint is the distance to town. I know it is clearly outlined on the website but I feel it was farther than we expected. Everything else was great. Just go in knowing the distance to town and you won't be disappointed. Family was lovely, food was good, room was great, price great. Would recommend.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of our Hotel, glad that you loved the food, family and our rooms, Hhhmmm not sure I can agree on our location, we are only One and a Half Miles from the Castle or Palace, when the Edinburgh Festival is on in August we are only a twenty minute walk from the University Hub with some awesome shows to see.

There are app 30 Bars and Restaurant only Twenty minutes walk from our Hotel with the two closest Bars and Restaurants only 4 mins walk, The Commonwealth Swimming Pool is also 4 mins walk away and Prestonfield Golf Club is but 1 min walk, so all in all I think we are the perfect location when visiting our Beautiful City of Edinburgh..

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Enjoyed our stay at this great hotel with a homey feel. The facilities were clean and comfortable, breakfast was tasty and a relaxed way to start each day of sightseeing and you can't beat the bar for a enjoyable way to wrap up your day. The hosts, Max and Annette tried to be sure our needs were met, questions were answered and be more than helpful getting us to the places we wanted to visit. Especially loved the fan in the room during the warm days and nights. Definitely would recommend this wonderful place to anyone visiting Edinburgh.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear Reviewee

Many Moons of thanks for a Sparkling Review of the Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, we are delighted that you and your Family enjoyed our Hospitality and that your expectations were met, I tell the Staff constantly that they are the real Stars by achieving great Reviews on their Breakfasts and Cleanliness.

Yea I concur there is no better way to unwind at the end of the day than to have good company and a Wee Dram or two of Scotland’s finest Whiskies, it is after all God’s Breath,.

We never forget that it is you that are on Holiday and we are here to meet your expectations, we also believe that when Guests leave their thoughtful comments on Review Sites such as Tripadvisor and others it is like being given a Free Marketing Tool, in that these reviews have helped raise the standards of Hotels, Guest Houses/Restaurants etc which have gone up and up and up, we are always trying to upgrade and improve our Hotel and what it offers to our Guests and we do take every Review to Heart..

Reviewed June 25, 2013

The hotel is super clean and organized. Location is great and every taxi driver in town knows the hotel owners... which is easy to understand why after meeting them, such a nice couple. Everything agreed was followed. Breakfast was great, as well as all the staff. Next time in Edinburg we will certainly stay there again, thank you! By the way, my wife and friends just loved the dog "who almost talks" to the guests.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Reviewee

Wow Wow Wee, a Review like this certainly Smiles me Up and I thought that I was just OK in small doses, tee hee hee. Our Golden Retriever Ceilidh says Woof Woof, by the way our Dog as you know is so placid that we are teaching it to Sing Opera !?, We are going to call it Placi-Dog Domingo, ha ha ha ha..