I was aware when I booked this hotel for five nights that I was getting what they called a "petite single" so I was pretty much prepared for the small room (#14). Although small, the room had a great view of Arthur's Seat (I believe) at the front of the house, high ceilings and had everything I required. The bed was okay and the room was certainly clean. They provided a small fan and there was a wall-mounted television. I didn't spend a lot of time in the room but I think it might have been a little claustrophobic after a while.
Each day they replenished the bottled water and the coffee or tea (I assume). I never had any issues with the wi-fi although they admitted they were still working out the kinks with the new system. It worked fine the entire time I was there.
Breakfast was excellent every morning and I found the Eggs Benedict especially tasty. There were enough different choices to keep most people happy. In the five weeks I was away, the coffee at the Ceilidh-Donia was probably the best I had. It was also great that they gave you some other options if you wanted to have a lie-in and missed breakfast hours.
Annette and the rest of the staff were great. Annette asked about my day every evening when I came back from my travels and had a drink in the bar while I checked e-mails and worked. The other staff members were great as well. Initially concerned about allergies and the dog, I never ran into any issues and barely noticed him/her.
As for location, the map provided before I left made it clear that the hotel is not in the center of town. The bus stop was 2 minutes away if you weren't into walking to the sites and would have you at Princes Street within a few minutes. The idyllic location more than made up for the distance.
The Salisbury Arms was a couple of minutes further on from the bus stop for a pint of beer in the beer garden or a meal in the restaurant and I stopped a couple of times.
Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel for a visit to Edinburgh
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A warm Scottish welcome awaits at the Hotel Ceilidh-donia, Edinburgh. Hotel Ceilidh-Donia Edinburgh offers great value three star accommodation when visiting Edinburgh, the historic capital city of Scotland. Max and Annette Preston, together with their children Hayley and Struan, invite you to enjoy your holiday, City break or business trip in Edinburgh at the Hotel Ceilidh-donia with full facility accommodation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, HostelWorld, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Hotel Ceilidh-Donia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ceilidh Donia Hotel Edinburgh
- Hotel Ceilidh-Donia Edinburgh, Scotland