“Comfortable, lovely and well located hospitality”
Review of Fraoch House

Fraoch House
Ranked #9 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 25, 2013

When we arrived mid-afternoon, it was very cold (to a couple of Southerners anyway) and we were greeted warmly with a hot cuppa and some cookies. That relaxation while our bags went to our room and while host Gareth talked us through the local map was the perfect welcome. We were disposed to adore the place after that, and nothing disappointed.

The room was large, beautifully decorated and very comfortable. Tea service is included, and there was a large en suite bathroom with tub and separate sinks (I can't remember the number, but we were in a room on the bottom floor, furthest from the stairs). There was a TV with DVD player, and a DVD library upstairs if you wished for a quiet break. The room was exceptionally quiet - we thought we must have been alone in the building, and were very surprised when the breakfast room was full in the morning. Never heard a peep from other guests.

Breakfast was wonderful - it is served in a large room with bay window, and there are several good options to choose from. I repeatedly chose the smoked Scottish salmon bagel because the salmon was perfect, my husband loves a full Scottish breakfast and had that each morning (I did have it once as well - everything was great).

Fraoch House is in a great location - it is not right in the old town area, and it is a bit of a walk to that area, but it is very close to the Calton Hill monuments (a must see - the best view in the city) and is within an easier walk along the lovely Leith Water Walk down to the Leith shore area. That area has the Royal Yacht Britannia adjacent to a giant mall and some of the best restaurants in Edinburgh (especially seafood) down by the water. Try the Ship on the Shore - it was fantastic, especially the fried goat cheese with sweet chili sauce. There is a bus stop directly across from Fraoch House where several different buses stop, heading in many directions, so it made getting around the city very easy. The day pass on the buses is a great value, and even 1 ride if you get tired and just want a ride back is reasonable.

All told, this B&B is well worth it - price was great for how large, comfortable and clean/beautiful the room was, not to mention the fantastic breakfast, wonderful hospitality, great suggestions from Gareth for food, pubs and sights, and the great location with easy access to multiple areas. I would highly recommend a stay here, and I hope to be back very soon. I've been to Edinburgh several times, and have found my permanent place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank stokes007

Reviewed January 19, 2013

A fantastic place to stay in Edinburgh. Room was very comfortable. Breakfast was fantastic and the welcome from the host was second to none. Fraoch House is well within walking distance to the centre of Edinburgh but there is also a bus stop right outside the front door and an all day ticket was very good value. . Would definitely recommend Fraoch House to anyone!

Room Tip: Ask for room 8 or 9. Although we had 5 rooms between us and they were all great.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Garybeck6
Reviewed January 16, 2013

If you want to stay close to the action of Edinburgh's city centre, forget fancy boutique hotels with exhorbitant prices and make your way to Froach House. Gareth's an excellent host - I'm an ex-pat Scot who knows Edinburgh well, but he was still able to give a few insider tips on good places to go. All the previous reviews are accurate in terms of the standard of accommodation, catering and care. I'll definitely be back and would recommend Froach House to everyone.
One tip: if you arrive at night and on foot (it's about a 20' walk from Waverley), watch you don't miss it. There are lots of B&Bs on Pilrig Street. Most have a sign in the garden. Froach doesn't, just a glass panel over the front door to identify it. It's at the first bus stop on the left after you turn off Leith Walk.

Room Tip: From what I saw, they were all good
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 10, 2013

A lovely B&B that you will not be disappointed by Froach House hospitality and their breakfast. You just have to be careful on directions, since the road names change. It is a about 1/2 mile from Prince street, but great central location. Their are three floors with a good selection

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

My partner took me here for my birthday from 5th to the 7th jan. It has a 4* rating and believe me its more than worthy of those stars. The whole stay there was spot on and could easily and comfortably stay a lot longer than the weekend :). The place itself is a ten min walk to princess street or you could get the bus just outside the door :). The people who work there are very courteous and nice and friendly :). The little extras in the bedroom (sweets and choc biscuits) were a nice touch and the breakfasts were delicious :) overall a fantastic place to stay and would without question stay again. My only quirk (and I've had this everywhere I stay, my partner laughs at me) is that they weren't any coasters in the bedroom. I just feel guilty putting cups on furnature like I said though that's almost everywhere we stay but I wouldn't mark the place down for that as its just my little quirk :)

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We agree with all the positive comments about Fraoch House. We have recently spent three nights here and despite feeling under the weather we had a lovely time due to being well looked after in this wonderful bed and breakfast. We would love to return when we feel better equipped to cope with Gareth's wonderful hearty breakfasts, rather than our requested small portions. (described by our host as a breakfast for Borrowers!) Thank you Gareth.

Room Tip: The standard room was perfectly adequate in size. Two comfy chairs and a spacious en-suite.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

We had the pleasure of staying here for two nights this weekend. Word of warning, two nights isn't enough for your first trip to Edinburgh, which ours was! So we will definitely be back to see Gareth and his team at some point. Hopefully this gives you an indication as to how lovely this B&B is. Its stands out from all the others on Pilrig Street (great first impressions), Gareth is a very friendly and helpful host, and the room and facilities are clean, modern and spacious. Probably most importantly the breakfast was superb! There was a great selection on the menu. You could really tell that Gareth selects quality ingredients & takes pride in his cooking. Well done, thank you and we will be back!

• Stayed: December 2012