“a great stay”

Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre
Ranked #102 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed for one night as we were going to see a show at the playhouse. Check-in was easy and simple. Staff were welcoming and full of info. You can park in the hotel car park for £10 per day. On check out, the staff were the same: asking if we enjoyed our stay/needed a taxi/wished us a nice day.

The room was big, comfortable bed and very clean. The heating could be turned up/down and there was a tv and hairdryer too. Bathroom clean and shower was good. It was a quiet room and i slept well.

We used the bar in the evening. It had a good atmosphere and was fairly busy. Breakfast was good but the hotel was very busy and therefore there were a lack of tables although both breakfast areas were open (to be expected on a saturday at 9.45!). There was 'help yourself'
tea/coffee/juice, cereals, pastries and sausage/egg. It was nice.

The hotel is right across from the playhouse theatre and St James Centre. Its 5 minutes walk to Princes Street and St Andrews Sqaure.

If you are looking for a good, fairly simple hotel in Edinburgh - stay here!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Mgtresponse, Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear Siobhan,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review following on from your recent stay at our hotel.

I am so pleased to hear you found our team to be helpfull and friendly, they work very hard and I know they will be delighted to see this has been recognized, thank you for your detailed review I'm also sure this will be of great help to our guests when researching our hotel.

We certainly do hope to be able to welcome you once again on a future occasion.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre

Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here overnight on the evening of the English floods following 4 1/2 train delay ! No food on the train past Doncaster so arrived a little peckish at 21.30 to find no restaurant -I was advised there was a tesco express around the corner didn't want to chance heating up a microwave meal with a hairdryer so consoled myself with the thought of a cup of sweet tea and surely a complimentary packet of Edinburgh shortbread! Not a biscuit in sight not even a custard cream.....what a disappointment and not even a sneaky vending machine don't the Scots have a sweet tooth couldn't believe it ...come on Edinburgh give us something to dunk and turn the heating up for us southern softies a bit chilly too did use the hairdryer after all to warm the bed up !

• Stayed: November 2012
Mgtresponse, Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, we are a Holiday Inn Express hotel therefore I am not sure if you are aware of the brand standards for our type of our hotel, unfortunately we have no restaurant, we are however centrally located with a wealth of restaurants and takeaways seconds from the hotel, again due to our brand standards we do not offer biscuits within our rooms however they are available at reception to accompany bar tea and coffees and I’m sure our front desk team would have been happy to provide them for you, we do have a vending machine on the first floor adjacent to reception.

Again we do have a kitchen and the team would have assisted you with heating your meal up had you wanted something from Tesco as I am aware that the 'Hairdryer' would not have been sufficient.

I do apologize that you were inconvenienced however I believe given the chance our team would have happily helped you.

I certainly do hope you will consider returning to our hotel on a future occasion.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights to see the city for the first time. We felt really welcome, the staff was friendly and helpful at any time. The beds were comfy, the rooms clean. I felt really relaxed at this hotel and it was so easy to get to the centre by foot, the Waverley Station is a 10 minutes walk, this is also where you have to get off if you take the airport bus Airlink 100 (the bus takes approx. 25 minutes from the airport).
There are two small negative things I need to mention but I will stick to the 5 stars because the overall experience was really good. So number 1: It was a bit cold if you slept next to the window because they didn't close properly (but the heating worked fine and the blanket was nice and warm). Number 2: The breakfast area is too small, thus it was very crowded and there were queues in front of the toasters, and one of the two toasters started to send up black smoke after a while. However, these things seems to be a general problem at Holiday Inn Express hotels, both the small breakfast areas and the burning toasters. Here's my advice for the hotels: Take a look at Belfast's Holiday Inn Express. They used to have a small breakfast area, but refurbished a few years ago and it's just perfect now (not sure about the toasters ;) ).

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank my_travellers_tune

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review following on from your recent stay, we certainly appreciate your positive comments I am however sorry to hear you were inconvenienced at breakfast we do understand the area can become busy at peak times I wasnt aware the toaster was broken and i will certainly follow this up with our breakfast supervisor.

Once again many thanks, and I do hope to be able to welcome you to our hotel on a future occasion.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

We have just returned from 4 nights staying in this hotel and the experience was top class from start to finish. We were totally in awe with how friendly and helpful all the staff were.. They couldn't help us enough!!! The rooms were so clean and cosy, and the breakfast was perfect to start the day.. Thank you

Mr & Mrs Territt
Ireland

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank janeen t
Mgtresponse, Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear Janeen,

Thank you so much for your kind review - our team all take the time to read tripadvisor reviews as it is an important tool for understanding our guests opinions towards our hotel - I know they will be delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay and with your comments regarding the friendliness of the team.

I do hope you will return to our hotel and we will look forward to welcoming you.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Stayed here last weekend, January 26th. Good location close to Waverley rail station. Hotel was very clean, and all you could expect for the price. Front desk were very helpful and polite. Although the hotel does not have a restaurant, they do a good breakfast included in your room rate which is served in the bar area. Plenty of restaurants and bars within a few minutes walk, close to the new town area, handy for Harvey Nick,s, and the Dome (recommend the afternoon tea). For nightlife, try the Grass Market area, quite lively and a good crowd (White Hart very good). Would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a decent budget hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Toonman,

I am delighted to see you enjoyed your time here in Edinburgh and indeed at our hotel, thank you so much for taking the time to write a review.

Edinburgh has so much to offer and I agree that the afternoon tea at the dome is lovely.. I certainly hope you will return to us next time you are in the city.

Sales Manager,

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I was on the quiet side of the hotel so I had no view, beyond the back of terraces, but I quite like that. A bit of something whirrs below but better than the street on the other side which is mega busy.
I like it because the guy on reception sorted out for me to keep the same room when I had to extend a couple of nights.
The breakfast buffet is good, busy but good selection and polite staff.
I was working and the cleaner came in and did the room while I was there at my reques.
I dont know it was a nice straight forward visit, as always the staff make the difference.

Room Tip: Backside of hotel for peace and quiet
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear themiddleway,

Thank you very much for your kind review regarding your recent stay, I will ensure our team are given your kind and positive comments, we have a great team here at the hotel who work hard to provide genuine customer service and we certainley always appreciate when this is mentioned.

Once again many thanks, we do hope to welcome you to our hotel on a future occasion.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed here for two nights, on a leisure trip to Edinburgh. I'm not sure where Holiday Inn Express pitches itself in the hotel market. I tend to use Premier Inn as a benchmark for budget hotels; I think they offer good value and quality without aspiring to luxury. Instinctively I'd say Holiday Inn Express pitches in a similar market but aspires for a slightly higher end product, and this hotel fails to meet that aspiration; it is slightly below what I would expect from a Premier Inn.

The room we were allocated was clean, the en-suite was modern and perfectly adequate. The service from staff was very good. The location of the hotel is excellent, but I knew this before booking, so I don't credit this to the hotel. The free breakfast is worth having, but not outstanding, and the system for self-service is a bit chaotic.

The fixtures and fittings in the room are a bit spartan and, as one or two other reviewers have identified, the noise transfer to/from adjacent rooms is significant and something that the hotel needs to improve.

We stayed in January and got this hotel at a very reasonable price; if I'd paid the advertised rack rate of £120/night, this would get three stars and not four.

Room Tip: Ask for a room an upper floor (five or six) to minimise street noise.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple