“Cheap-ish place to rest your head. Perhaps try a B & B instead.”

Ranked #105 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed September 16, 2011

Small room, small bathroom, no view, borderline inedible breakfast included. Clean and helpful staff. Location is convenient to new town and short walk to old town. I have to believe there are cheaper places to stay in the area that have more local character. If you can get a deal and plan on running around town, maybe this is the place for you. We used gold member points for a free stay (less points were required via the website than directly at the hotel) so free is always good!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Mgtresponse, Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2011

Dear Crazyplatter,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

I am sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your room, and felt that it was too small with no view, however we do feel that the hotel has character as it is located in a Georgian style building, we normally receive great feedback regarding the buildings quirkiness and location and can only apologise if you were unhappy.

I am pleased to see that you felt the staff were helpful, and I look forward to welcoming you to Edinburgh on a future travel occasion.

Sales Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,126)

Reviewed September 1, 2011

Perfectly good hotel within walking distance of the city centre and main attractions. Edinburgh is a very walk-able city anyway. Good breakfast, the breakfast area can get crowded in the morning but the area is large and being kept well stocked all the time. Personnel is professional and friendly. Definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
Mgtresponse, Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2011

Dear Wub67,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

We appreciate your kind comments regarding our staff and the location of the hotel.

Thank you for your comments regarding breakfast, we do agree it can be busy and try our very best to manage this, we do also serve breakfast on the first floor in cases of busier times.

Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you to Edinburgh in the future.

Reviewed August 22, 2011

Stayed for weekend in August as part of the Fringe Festival, I wanted to be near the city centre without having to pay the premium to do so and this fitted the bill. I booked in February to accomodate the stay during this period and I am glad I did as the day rate behind the reception was £349 per night which seemed steep.

I had booked a double room but they gave us a twin, the reception team immediately swapped us to a double room and gave us a complimentary drink whilst the room was made up which I thought was a really nice touch.

The location for the city centre is perfect, its within a 10 minute walk of Scott Monument and it is within easy reach of the majority of the city centre locations and ideal for restaurants and other shopping facilities.

The rooms were adequate, certainly not big enough to shout about but not tiny either, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom facilities were modern and clean. There was free coffee and water available at the reception area and an ice machine next to the vending machines just down the stairs.

The breakfast was fine but as I have said in other reviews about Holiday Inn Express, why no bacon? Either way it was enough to bring me round after a heavy night on the town.

as our room was near the back I cannot comment on street noise however it is just off a main road so I woudl expect some noise.

As a base for the festival that is affordable and within easy reach of the train station this is ideal, I am sure if The Scotsman hotel was equally priced then I would go there but it never will be!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ambrose16

Dear KingCream,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay.

I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your time at the hotel and were able to receive a book early and save rate, we often suggest these to our guests because as you have stated it does guarantee your accommodation with a saving.

We have recently changed our breakfast menu to include baked beans, soft rolls and cheese, all Express property's across the UK and Ireland no longer serve bacon and have a daily menu of scrambled eggs, sausages and beans.

Once again thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you to Edinburgh on future occasion.

Reviewed August 21, 2011

During our summer holidays in Scotland we booked 3 nights at this hotel using reward points. Otherwise we would have stayed outside the city, as rates were higher than £300 per night because of the August festivals! But it was a good choice. The hotel is a typical Holiday Inn Express that was convenient enough for the four of us, and the location is pretty good: near the Royal Mile and next to lots of restaurants, pubs, theatres and a supermarket. As for the Edinburgh's tourist spots, Calton Hill is really close, and we managed to have a nice view of it from our window.

I'd certainly come back, especially when rates are back to normal.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank josmon10
Mgtresponse, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2011

Dear Josmon10

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel, it’s always great to receive feedback and our team values all reviews.

It was great to see that you stayed on your Priority Club points and that you enjoyed your time here during the August Festival.

Once again I thank you for your great review, and look forward to welcoming you to Edinburgh on a future travel occasion.

Catherine

Catherine Fraser

Reviewed August 18, 2011

I stayed for 2 nights in July on business. Check in and staff couldn't be more friendly. I had a room in effectively the basement which was large. Love the way the bathroom is set up and for what you pay, the fixtures and fitting were to a very high standard. If you are just essentially staying in the hotel as a sleeping stop then would highly recommend. Couple of points to note, however:

1) I was in the basement facing the front so lots of street noise well into the early hours

2) I think I was above the bar too as lots of noise of scraping chairs and voices of people having fun from the ceiling up to about midnight

3) Can't remember my room number but I had a concrete post (must have been some kind of support for the building) right through the middle of my room which meant could only watch the tv from one side of the bed or the sofa

4) There is no iron or ironing board in rooms or available. Instead there is a room on the 4th floor with about 5-6 mini ironing boards and irons in. Felt very surreal sneaking in there to iron my tops that had got crushed in transit.

Having said all that. after 2 long days at work, and being a lone female traveller, I felt safe, warm and comfortable albeit with a slightly disturbed sleep due to the noise. Would stay again if my preferred hotels in Edinburgh were booked (as was the case on this occasion)

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 17, 2011

2 of us stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Picardy Place in August 2011 for the Edinburgh Festival.
The location is excellent, near to pubs, restaurants, Fringe events and bus stops, as well as easy walking distance to railway and bus stations.
Thereby hangs the problem - the noise. The hotel overlooks one of the main roundabouts in the City, so there is constant noise from traffic and sirens, as well as people leaving the bars, some of which are open well into the early hours. Saturday night was especially bad, Sunday a lot quieter. Maybe a room at the back of the hotel would be quieter.
Anyway, the room was spacious, bed comfortable and decent bathroom facilities. Complimentary fudge, water, biscuits a nice touch.
Nice bar, not expensive and reasonable range of drinks.
Breakfast was top class, continental and British. It is served on 2 floors so if one seems busy try the other one.
Staff courteous and efficient, overall good value, and would go back armed with ear muffs.

Room Tip: Get a room away from main street if you want a night's sleep
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PWF
Mgtresponse, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2011

Dear PWF

Your kind comments are very much appreciated, I am sorry that you were disturbed by noise however we are based in the heart of the New Town the windows are all double glazed to try and eliminate the noise but if left open the noise will carry.

I hope we can look forward to welcoming you to Edinburgh on a future travel occasion.

I was pleased to see you enjoyed your stay at our hotel, and that the staff where friendly and supportive during your stay.

Alexander

Alexander Cameron
Deputy General Manager

Reviewed August 15, 2011

Me, my wife and a 4 year old son stayed at this excellent hotel during our recent trip to Scotland. Hotel is around 15 minutes walk from the station but very well situated on Leith street from where you have access to shopping center and many great eateries. Also Edinburgh Playhouse Theatre and Omni Centre is exactly opposite to the hotel so it is a great place if you are a drama enthusiast. Breakfast was sumptuous and well managed in spite of significant crowd.

Room Tip: Thumbs up to Holiday Express Inn Edinburgh
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank DnyaneshPune

Dear DnyaneshP

Your kind comments are very much appreciated, and we hope we can look forward to welcoming you to Edinburgh on a future travel occasion.

I was pleased to see you enjoyed your stay at our hotel, and that you enjoyed your complimentary style and hot choice breakfast thank you for your kind comments

Alexander