“Unwelcoming rude staff”
Review of Ivy Guest House

Ivy Guest House
Ranked #347 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Firstly the guest house looks nothing like the photo used to advertise it, we drove past it twice as the sign was partly covered with over grown trees and shrubs. On arrival for our 2 day stay the woman who opened the door to us was rude, we asked where the car park was but she left us standing the hallway until another member of staff came, who told us where the car park was and that we had to pay in full up front handed us our room key, told us we were on the first floor and we could come and go as we pleased. on entering the room it looked neglected and run down, (Nothing like the photos) the room was dusty the throw over on the double bed was stained. we went out and bought multi purpose wipes and cleaned the room and wardrobe shelves before unpacking. The carpet that was in the room was also fitted in the bathroom which had a slight smell of urine.
On the morning we were leaving the man who had taken our payment passed us in the hallway he could clearly see we were leaving as we had our case with us but he did not speak to us or ask how our stay was. I would describe this place more as a youth hostel than a guest house. We enjoyed our time in Edinburgh it is a beautiful city but I would not recommend this guest house.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Terrible experience. I had to come in one day late but I had paid for the room for the night I could not make it. The lady who I called for directions (GPS coordinates could not find this place) was rude. She was ruder still on arrival, perfunctory, not welcoming, and wanted us to get away asap and leave her alone to be with her family.

The rooms look NOTHING like the photos, had peeling wall paper, curtains that were in bad shape, stained carpets, cupboard knobs that were coming off, and a bathroom which was not attached but so called private, the access to which was outside the room with a separate key.

She was rudely happy to see us leave. And so were we. Avoid this place like Poison Ivy.

The rest of the trip to Edinburgh and the city was GREAT. So find another place even if you have to pay more.

Room Tip: Avoid this place like poison ivy.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sauravadhikari
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We arrived at 2 pm after a 5 hour journey..the first comment from the owner was "you should of arrived at 1 pm". Here is your key...
Not a good start. Basically a very rude person, and not welcoming at all, which was a shame as the room with 4 of us in, was quite respectable for the price. TV did not work, and when we mentioned this, there was no comment back at all. The visit to Scotland was superb, but marred slightly with a poor experience at the so called bed and breakfast .. So beware if you are looking at this Ivy Guest house...Don't expect a breakfast , as they no longer do this..You have a kettle for tea/c

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Guest house is located 15 minutes from city center on quite street with beautifull traditional houses. Little strange was that we have never seen anybody of the stuff, even check-in was done through phone, but rooms was great. Comfy, spacious, traditional, welcoming, I almost didn't want to leave it. There are 3 floors with no lift, but I guess you can't except anything else from traditional house. I definitelly recoment this facility.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 30, 2013

The room was very cold and not clean. It had separate bathroom which made things even worth, but advertised as "ensuite"! The manager was friendly but not helpful! The area is not attractive either, but can be reached by busses from city centre. Luckily, I stayed only one night, as for the same price found better hotel near centre with good facilities! So, my advise is try other hotels, even it is a bit expensive!

Room Tip: Avoid room 2!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2013

took my 10 year old grandaughter 4 her birthday. when we arrived i was asked 2 fill in a card bout how i heard of the guest house, she then took my money gave me the keys and said we were on the 1st floor. opened the door + thot what a bloody nitemare. no quilts just discoloured covers, room was freezin, tv not workin, had just arrived n a snow blizzard.only time we seen the manager was when i had 2 complain bout tv + no heatin. honestly dont go ther. I have nvr written a review bout anywer I have stayed bcos i always think u can mk ur own holiday but this 1 u cant.P.S. stinkin carpet n toilet and dont turn shower on as noise can last 4 up 2 an hr from it.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank annmarie200
Reviewed December 3, 2012

This guest house is very budget friendly so if you're expecting the ritz don't stay here. The owner was friendly and the room was comfortable, the shower, toilet and wi-if worked fine. I only stayed here for a night but it was perfectly ok. Yes the rooms seem dated and I had to stretch an extension lead over the other bed to get television but for the price I paid and the good night sleep I had I can't fault it.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple