“Got everything we needed”
Review of Ivy Guest House

Ivy Guest House
Ranked #348 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Got everything we needed”
Reviewed April 8, 2012

My wife and I have stayed here on three separate occasions in a requested double en-suite room and the experience has always been very good. We found the owners very pleasant and accomodating. We have always enjoyed the vegetarian breakfast, with no problems. The room was well maintained, clean and tidy.

On the second stay we had to leave early in the morning and our hosts arranged for a continental breakfast to be left at our room the night before, so this was convenient for our logistics.

We will happily recommend this B&B to all our friends and anyone else for being a reasonably priced, well located (ie half hour walk, also lots of buses to the city centre) and friendly hosts.

Room Tip: Know what requirments you need, as we specifically requested for a double en-suite bathroom included...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sangeeta v

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Bucharest
Reviewed November 25, 2011

Yes, it's nice and you feel like you are visit some relatives. You do not have the feeling of hotel ... But I have to admit that having the bathroom outside of the room was not perfect :)
I was there for one night only and I am not sure I would like to go back again.
No, it's nothing bad ... but I can't just say I'd love it.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Ankara, Turkey
Reviewed November 14, 2011

We stayed in three people room. The room and the bathroom were big enough. The hotel had a nice ivy theme. The owners were very nice and helpful, although they mistakenly said the wrong location of bus stop to the airport. They also allowed us to keep our luggage there after checking out until our flight. The beds are not very comfy but they were clean. There was a strange food smell in the hotel. Breakfast had a great variety (note that there is no meat). The hostel is about 15-20 minutes walk to the Royal Mile. Also there are bus stops close to the hotel, you can use them to go there too.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank minthegap
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Reviewed November 1, 2011

i stayed three nights a few months ago, and my room was the first to your left as you reach the first landing. I had to sleep on top of the duvet because I could feel the matress sticking into my ribs. don't expect meat at breakfast, I had my own bathroom which was clean. Previous reviews are correct- wi fi is very weak.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Reviewed September 22, 2011

We stayed 2nights here. The owners are quiet and nice people. Cleanliness isn't great, there is a fair bit of mould in the shower and the ensuit bathroom is carpetted. Beds are very comfortable. Breakfast is only served between 8-9am and ours was cold and bland, only bothered with it one of the mornings. Overall not tooo bad if you aren't fussy.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank MattnAmes
dublin
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We arrived initially and were almost knocked back by the waft of food coming from the kitchen. It was that smell that just clings to the furniture. We were greeted by the lady of the house. She welcomed us but there was not even a smile to be had from her. She unformed us of the facilities. I was shocked to find out that breakfast was from 8-9am. People on a weekend away are still asleep at the time. I asked if we could maybe have breakfast at a later time but all I got was a blank response. I have worked in hotels for the past number of years and if I had acted like that in front of anyone, I would have my P45 and would be out the door. So, now to our room. We walked in and almost should have been wearing sunglasses as we were greeted with a bright pink room with curtains from the 60s. There was a bit of dirt/mould in the bathroom but that happens so I was not too annoyed about that. As my girlfriend lay down on the bed for a rest, she found that there were marks on the pillow. I didnt even want to know what it was. Overall, an overpriced bad stay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank scadoodle
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 16, 2011

We stayed there for three days during our UK driving trip. First of all, it was ridiculously hard to find the car park although they said they have on site car park. It took us nearly good half hour to find the tiny entrance at the back street. Then, I thought the drama was over after finding the car park. Yeah?? Apparently NO.. There is no access from the car park to the entrance of the guest house. We had to drag our backpack all the way out of the car park into main road to enter the hotel. Not that far, only about 200 m away but it was extremely inconvenient.
Check in was no drama.
The room was alright. We had a double bed and a single tho we booked double. It's got lockable cupboards and coffee table. The hot water went on and off, the heater got really hot at times. When it did, at least we'd have a nice, dry clothes the next morning. Some other rooms have shared bathrooms.
Breakfast was basic but good quality. The guest house is clean overall.
The owner (manager?) lives downstairs and if you need them you need to ring the bell. They 'put out' sign do not disturb after 8 pm and became less friendly. When we were there, we saw one asian couple knocked on the door asking to borrow cutlery and his response "isnt it a little bit late to eat?"
Free wifi is only on the so-called lobby, which consists only one tired-looking sofa. The signal was pretty weak when we were there but we didnt need it much anyway.
Location-it was good for us cos we avoided staying in the city. The bus was easy to get, most of the time we just walked.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple