“Best Guest House in Edinburgh!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Clarin Guest House

Clarin Guest House
Ranked #130 of 444 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Auckland
“Best Guest House in Edinburgh!!!”
Reviewed May 20, 2010

We are couple with one child from New Zealand and we sleeped in CLARIN Guest House 2 nights,We were very pleased with everything - room was nice and tidy,breakfast was delicious,price is very reasonable and owners were profesionals,they organised for us car rental,managed phone calls...This place is very well managed on profesional level and we wish both owners the best !!!Thank you very mutch Kim and Andy.
Steven&Monika and Alysha

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Aussie/Pom in Edinburgh
Reviewed September 29, 2009

Neil & Margaret Thomson , Murwillumbah , Australia - 24th August 2009

Kim & Andy's attention to detail & their caring manner in looking after us -- a mile out of the city -- 3 pound day ticket on the bus & we were away & the Minto Hotel meals -- great Thank you Kim & Andy

Location

Having being christened in California, Stirlingshire (just down the road from Edinburgh 70years ago) this was a reunion of relatives of which I was the youngest --so a lot of hugging & tears --we found Edinburgh to be a delightful city -- a bit disruptive -- with the tram re-establish -- The Royal Yaught -- brilliant -- Holyrood -- wonderful -- & for years we have promised ourselves an attendance to the TATTOO -- & we were not disappionted --what a wonderful spectable -- the walk up the mile to the parade ground -- what a terrific atmosphere --the Tattoo itself -- appeared to be so casual --- but so proffessional -- will never forget it -- Thank you Edinburgh -- Thank you -- Kim & Andy

Northwich
Reviewed September 8, 2009

Kin and Andy welcomed both of us with open arms and Toby the dog too. It is so difficult to find an in town Guest house that is pet friendly. Our Room was pleasant with a shower and our linen and towels were always clean a fresh, a big thing with me.
Breakfast was enormous, too much, and the bottomless tea and coffee in the room was an added bonus. The hotel is undergoing refurbishment and this is reflected in the price, with Kim and Andy at the helm it is going to be really great when it is finished.
I thank them once again for a great week in Edinburgh

1 Thank 91Ruth
Israel
Reviewed September 7, 2009

We booked kim & Andy's place from the internet as our first night in scotland . Clarin house turn to be a cute small place with a big wide heart. Price was more than reasonable and we enjoyed the breakfast very much. It is a great place for backpackers and people and who wants to be close to city centre (5 min bus, 25 min walk) and enjoy a cute quiiet place.

Cupar, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2009

I am completely shocked at some of the reviews about Clarins Guest House and can only imagine they are well exaggerated. The hallway is not musty, the house is immaculately clean and everything is brand new. Kim, the owner explained to me at booking that they were still in the process of refurbishing and clearly - this was reflected in the price!! You will NOT find any other B&B priced at 35.00 during busy festival season, Edinburgh crazy in August. I do not know what people are expecting but Clarins is situated only 1.5miles from city centre, 5.00 in a taxi or 80p by bus and the hospitality is second to none. Actually, through no fault of her own Kim double booked our room, as the guests who had originally cancelled their 2nd night decided to stay at the last minute so we were offered a room which was still being refurbished for absolutely no payment - and this included a courtesy glass of wine on arrival AND a cooked breakfast. Ok, maybe Clarins is still up and coming, but there is nothing deceiving or lacking in what the owners have to offer, I really hope people are not influenced by those negative reviews - which clearly belong to people with very unrealistic expectations and probably need to get out and about more. Oh and there's free parking to the rear of the property, a rare finding for edb city centre.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Leanne A
London, UK
Reviewed August 29, 2009

We have returned from a fantastic festival trip to Edinburgh and will be back next year, enamoured of the stunning cityscape, approachable local people and high quality service, confirming its holiday popularity.

The one disappointment was our accommodation, which although quiet, convenient for links to city centre and relatively cheap in premium-rate August, was misleadingly advertised and was no more than adequate 'digs' for the festival. We stayed at Clarin Guesthouse, 4 Mayfield, Edinburgh EH9.

Our hosts were perfectly nice people, but their website refers to their Scottish Tourist Board 2 star rating as a guesthouse, which we did not find on our arrival. There was no STB plague as seen in photos on their website and they referred to ongoing refurbishments.

The existing bedroom decor was at best tired and desultory, at worst depressing. In addition, one of my group, a dog lover who is keenly aware that dog friendly accommodation (asserted on website and confirmed by a fellow guest's dog) needs scrupulous cleaning, was bitten in bed on the ankle and found the atmosphere stimulated her asthma! She relocated rather than spend another night there, forfeiting her share of the room's fee for the booking.

I feel the proprietors should remove any reference to rating under STB schemes until they have completed refurbishments and are re-certified. I suspect the previous owners have handed over the website and it has not been updated, as some earlier feedback comments on their website refer to another name to that of the current owners.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank muted
claringuesthouse, Manager at Clarin Guest House, responded to this review, October 15, 2011
My sincere apologies for not placing a reply to this review before now, I did note all my reviews down but did not know how to reply to them.
Our sincere apologies for the display of the 2 star rating at the time of your visit, we took over the Guest House with this rating, we did ask for the STB badge to be removed from our webpage on entry, our apologies the company that host our webpage overlooked this and it was still left on our picture of our front door, we have since pointed this out and had this removed, I will confirm this was a pet friendly guest house in the past which was stated on our webpage when you booking was made, your friend packed her belongings and said bye going out the door she did not mention she was finding it difficult to breathe, (I do not believe she was bitten with anything other than a midge bite) it was the height of summer and your room window was open to the max).
On taking over the Guest House we had all carpets cleaned and beds were in very good condition, however we have taken onboard that pets sleeping in our rooms would not be good for anyone with Asthma or breathing difficulties so we no longer permit pets in our house, we have now replaced all carpets and beds in every room.

I do feel at the time of your visit you did receive 2 star accommodation regardless of a STB badge award, also at a fair price of £25 per person per night (including breakfast), this was the height of the Edinburgh Festival.

Kim - Clarin Guest House
Culver City, California
Reviewed July 28, 2009

Beware of this place! Hospitality is a foreign concept here. We arrive to a messy, loud construction site of a house where the owner immediately has us fill out forms standing up in a cramped, musty hallway. My boyfriend's elderly parents just stood there holding their heavy luggage while we did this. As we signed in (there was a mandatory sign in/out sheet you were supposed to sign every time you left an returned to the home), we had that uh-oh feeling. The place was not cute or welcoming at all, but dilapidated, smelly, crusty, a touch seedy. This feeling worsened when nobody offered to help a seventy-seven year old man carry his luggage up a long, twisting flight of stairs.

You are on your own here. There is no reception desk. The family that runs this place has a "breakfast" room downstairs for you to eat in, but after breakfast its either locked up, or used for their own personal family recreation tv room. There is nowhere to be but your room, with its five inch television (I have never seen a television so small that wasn't meant to be portable) with four channels of television and grimey old carpet that you don't want to walk barefoot on.

My boyfriend's parents' had a shower in their room, but it produced ice cold water. When my boyfriend's mother told this to the owners at breakfast, they were unconcerned and said maybe too many people were showering. Mind you, we were the only guests in the entire place at this time, the two rooms of me and my boyfriend and then his parents. This means that the family's own use of water was preventing their guests from taking a hot shower. Nor did they plan to do anything about it.

The other problem was that they were never around. They lived their normal lives and didn't have a reception desk, as I mentioned, or a staff member present at all times. This became a huge problem twice.

The owner asked for way more money than we owen, since we had already been required to pay one night in advance to reserve. He had been the one in the email to demand this to secure the room, yet he tried to blame this "innocent mistake" on a third party booking site. It took half an hour of arguing to get the price from 202 pounds to 120 down to finally the correct 89 pounds.

We agreed to pay them wednesday evening after we got cash. My boyfriend and I were leaving at four am on Thursday morning. But the owners went out all day and didn't come home until midnight. We had to wait up for them in order to pay them, and ended up getting less than four hours of sleep.

The worst of all was when my boyfriend and I realized that our flight was cancelled and we wanted to let his parents know, who were due to take a later flight that morning, so they would know where to find us in case they had any problems with their own flight. When my boyfriend called the Clarin house at 7:30 am to speak to his mother, the owner barked to him "She doesn't live here! You can't call me at my home at half past seven!" and hung up on him.

Alas, we were not able to let them know of our situation, and my boyfriend was quite concerned that his elderly parents were still in the company of this untrustworthy and volatile individual with no way of communicating with anyone.

On a side note, we noticed that many guesthouses in the area (the southside of Edinburgh, only 1.3 miles from the town center) looked shady and unwelcoming. It seems like many locals who are not prepared to be professional or hospitable are trying to make a buck by letting out rooms in their houses. Do yourself a service and find something recommended by someone you trust. I had booked this place blindly out of near despearation when 25 other guest houses were fully booked for the days I needed, but in hindsight I wish I had just booked a cheap hotel or kept searching.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
My sincere apologies for not placing a reply to this review before now, I am not that good on the computer and I find it a bit daunting sometimes, it’s taken me a long time to get used to booking diary's and other daily tasks online.
On arrival these customers where not in the best of moods they seemed a little happier when escorted to their rooms, shortly after this they asked to use our landline to phone family in Glasgow, I did not see a problem with them letting family know they arrived safely, I did however ask if the phone call could be made in the Dining Hall as they wanted to take the phone upstairs to their room (they did not seem pleased with my suggestion), the phone call lasted approx 50min, after visiting the dining hall to ask if all was ok and their call was finished 1 guest said no they just had to call home to Canada and were just popping upstairs for contact phone numbers, I apologised and advised, "this would not be possible" this was my biggest mistake, this review was a result of that and only that.
All of these comments knocked me physically ill when I read them, it's hard to get my head around and understand why 1 individual would go out of their way to damage/destroy your new business with nothing but lies, however I must let you know we have met so many nice people in this business which far outweighed the (odd bad one), we do try to please all, but some people will never be happy no matter what you do.