“A Great Stay”
Review of Clarin Guest House

Clarin Guest House
Ranked #134 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 17, 2013

KIm and her husband couldn't have been more helpful. Our room was so clean and well maintained. The location was fantastic. The host's directions for our walk up to Arthur's Seat were spot on. The bus trip into town was easy, convenient and very affordable with DayRider Ticket.

Room Tip: We were up the top floor and it was a wonderful room with ensuite.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Yogi13_11
claringuesthouse, Manager at Clarin Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

We are delighted you’s had nice stay, look forward to meeting you again sometime, until then take care.

There are newer reviews for Clarin Guest House

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Stayed for a few nights with my daughter for the Edinburgh Fringe. Excellent and would stay again. The staff could not have been more friendly or helpful, the room was kept immaculately clean and breakfast was lovely. Can't imagine why you'd pay more for a more central location- a dayrider bus ticket costs £3.50 and the service is regular. You're on the Royal Mile in twenty minutes from the hotel. The free WiFi was really useful as well. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have an en suite but the bathroom was across the hall and it wasn't a problem. The...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Gareth D

So sorry it has taken so long with writing this reply, I am not very technically minded and get in a bit of a pickle when trying to update my reviews, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us at the Clarin and do appreciate you taking time out to write this review for us.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

We recently stayed here as we were visiting for the Fringe. I booked the room way in advance and mainly chose this place as it looked nice and was one of the cheapest I could find for during this festival period.

We ended up adding an extra night on nearer the time of us staying so on the first night we were in a twin room as the doubles were all booked. I thought the shared bathroom may be a problem, but there was actually another toilet on the next floor up so even if the bathroom was in use you could nip up to the top floor. The room was lovely, nicely decorated and comfy, handy having a sink in the room as well. The remaining 3 nights we were in a double room on the top floor. This room was massive, which was great as there was a small bedroom attached to the main room which we used to store our stuff in. Didn’t notice any noise or anything whilst there and slept well.

The breakfast was nice, you pre-ordered each night by ticking your choice on a card. They’re leaning towards healthy breakfasts so no full English, I mainly had scrambled eggs on toast which was good but every day my eggs were never that hot, really only luke warm, same with the toast.

My only other criticism is that we were really cold the entire time we were in our room. We thought on the first night it was because they had left the window open for when we arrived and we arrived late at night. But then we found we were still freezing in our second room even though we kept the windows shut. I know it’s august and they can’t really have the heating on, but we found it a bit too cold and were very often under the duvet when in our room. For me Clarin was also a little bit far out for walking in every day. We made use of the bus round the corner to get into the centre, which was fine. But when it got to late at night and coming back the buses weren’t running then we had to walk, and it took about 20 – 25 mins depending on where we were coming from – which may be fine for some but at that time of night I just wanted to get to bed.

Also just want to add the owners were very friendly and helpful, they spent time explaining where things were on the map for us when we arrived and giving us good advice.

I would recommend this guesthouse, and may stay again, but I’d probably look for something right in the centre in the first instance and then if I couldn’t get anything I’d book back in here.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

I am pleased you found the room comfy, and the tourist information beneficial
I am sorry you felt your eggs were only warm, I am a bit confused by this, as they are cooked only when the guests come down for breakfast, however if the guests are delayed for any reason (which is not very often) the eggs are stored in the food heater to keep hot, we have strict instructions with eggs, cooking/handling, taking care to avoid cross contamination or delivering cold, I do not understand how they could only be warm for you every morning!
Cold in your room? In the summer months, we do have the heating on mostly in the evenings, this is controlled by guests in the room, we cannot keep the heating on automatically all the time due to a previous customer complaint (that it was too hot), we do try to please all but can be torn as to put it on/off during the day, most guest houses are the same as us, If you have come from home and live in a warm country you will find our Scottish weather more like your winter so I can understand why you may feel it cooler than us, however you should have felt the heat more on the second room you were in at the top floor, which is even warmer as the heat just rises from the 3 floors below, we also try to be environmentally friendly and to leave windows open and heating on full in the summer is silly & not economically clever.

Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Second year staying here and happy again with everything. We did shed a little tear at the loss of the full scottish breakfast kims sausages were awesome but everything else was great as usual. The room was kept immaculate every day and the location works so well for going.to shows. Its a quick bus ride to the centre and we were never waiting more than a couple of mins for a bus. Sorry guys looks like you will probably be stuck with us for .more years to come...

• Stayed: August 2013

Just delighted to see you again this year, and our pleasure to have you each year, sorry for the delay in replying to this review, I am not so IT minded and get a bit lost when updating tripadvisor, until the next time, take care.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Very cute guest house. Nice rooms, very clean, and very friendly/helpful staff. Quiet street, a bit of a walk to the city center, but it's not bad if you don't have luggage (if you do I recommend taking a bus, which stops right around the corner). If you don't mind being away from the heart of the city, I definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
claringuesthouse, Manager at Clarin Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Thanks for your nice comments & taking time out to write a review, yes we are a little further from the city centre, however it can be a big advantage, especially at festival & hogmany time, we are not disturbed in the middle of the night with the noise of partygoers singing ha ha! I know this from experience as my friend has a flat on the high street (The Royal Mile) and she has to move in with her parents in the busy times as she cannot sleep at nights for the noise, her flat is a fabulous location however it is a big disadvantage at peak times, she should be clever and let her flat out & go on holidays ha ha! hope to see you again sometime, take care.

Andy & Kim

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Clarin House is convenient to the main tourist sites (an easy 20 minute walk) and near good local restaurants (5 to 10 minutes).

The beds were comfortable and the room spotless, but it was difficult to find somewhere to put the 5 decorative cushions per twin bed.

The main problem we had was the shared bathroom. Though probably not ordinarily a problem, the only shower was monopolised by guests we assumed to be a family, each taking at least 30 minutes before the next family member went in. This meant we arrived back from dinner to have to wait over 90 minutes for the bathroom to have a shower before bed. Also, there was no way to tell the bathroom was in use, except to assume that if the door was closed, it was occupied. When I did finally manage a quick shower, it was made even more rushed by the awkwardness of having people rattling the doorknob. A simple 'occupied' sign on the door, or something similar, would solve this.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with an ensuite bathroom.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank LynetteMin
claringuesthouse, Manager at Clarin Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Thank you for taking time out to write a review, I am a bit worried as to whom was monopolising the shower room! as this belongs only to 2 twin rooms, your twin room & one other twin room, I think you were probaby waiting so long to use this bathroom due to the door being closed and you did not know it was infact vacant not engaged, you are right a slide along lock advising vacant would be better, I can recall Andy mentioning to me you were waiting a while & he pushed the door & the shower room was vacant, I am sorry you waited so long, next year we are hoping to have new doors throughout & I will look into slide along vacant notices. thank you I hope you had a safe journey home.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Spent 6 nights in a double room with ensuite bathroom. Quiet street, which is appreciated, but at the same time it's a short walk to the bus stop that takes you quickly to the city centre (or you can walk in about 20 minutes). Clean new furnishings. Nice breakfast. Very friendly and helpful staff. Would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for writing us a review, I hope your journey home was safe and pleasant, it was our pleasure having you stay with us, we meet so many nice people in this line of work and this makes our job so much worthwhile. take care until the next time.