Clarin Guest House
Prestonfield(Edinburgh)
  • Restaurant
KM Central(Edinburgh)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsown bathroomshared toiletcity centrearthur's seatroyal mileminute walkday ticketquiet locationenjoyed our stayeach morningcouple of nightsa great staystayed for nightsfirst floorguesthousescotlandbuses
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Kim and Andy are wonderful hosts. We had a great stay. I actually made a mistake on our arrival and we got to the Clarin a day early... last day of the Tattoo, so of course everywhere was full. Kim helped us to find a hotel about 10 minutes away and at a reasonable price. We were literally searching the internet and were coming up with rooms for $400 a night or more as our only options around Edinburgh. Our room was beautiful, impeccably clean and breakfast each morning was wonderful. They helped us with great recommendations for things to do in the city. We had a fabulous stay at their guest house. It was also wonderful to have off street parking. It's also close enough to walk into the city center and if you want a bus it's just a block away from the bus stop and one straight road up to the Royal Mile. Perfect location and great rates for the quality of the rooms.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SMSTEIN
claringuesthouse, Manager at Clarin Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

sorry for the delay in writing this, we had problems logging onto tripadvisor

I am glad we were able to find alternative accommodation for that night, although it was a bit further out of town, you having the car was a big plus thou, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay, hope you had a safe & pleasant journey home.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Lovely spacious room, very clean and nice brekkie. Great location for the fringe with a bus stop withina minutes walk into town. The matress was a bit uncomfortable and wifi a bit sporadic but otherwise great and would definitely stay again.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Lovely B and B in a fab location, we stayed during the fringe and had no problems coming back after 1am every night. Walking from the centre took us 20 minutes. Its on a great bus route so we never had to wait more than 2 minutes for a bus during the day. The owners Kim and Andy are lovely very friendly and make a great fry up. We had an ensuite room with a nice clean modern bathroom. No complaints from us and we will definitely use this B and B next time we come to Edinburgh

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Oh we are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us, thank you for your lovely review, we look forward to your next visit, take care until the next time.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

My partner and I stayed here for 3 nights over a weekend in August.

We received a very warm welcome on arrival and the hospitality we were provided with during our stay at Clarin Guest House was fantastic.

We were given a map of the area, bus timetables, etc that were extremely helpful, in which we referred to continuously in order to get our way around Edinburgh.

It was great having car parking facilities too, put our mind at ease that it was safe and off the main road.

In regards to returning back to the B&B late at night (for example, we saw the Edinburgh Tattoo and clubs are open until approx 2am) so this was not frowned upon, your room key would let you in main door, just asked to keep noise to a minimum which is understandable.

The bedroom we had was absolutely gorgeous, had all the necessaries such as towels, essential hand wash, plugs for hairdryer and phone charger etc, plenty of storage, tv, kettle, extra blankets if required.

They provide a superb continental and fried breakfast. We opted to have only once as we didn't know what time we were leaving each day to go out and about so we requested this at late notice but was made to feel welcome for breakfast.

Regards

Hannah & Mark

Room Tip: We had a double room en-suite but there was a shared bathroom that was just the same size with a shower so if you don't mind sharing, a shared bathroom option may be cheaper.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

apologies for delays in writing this tripadvisor logon problems.

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay at the Clarin and at such a nice time of year too, (the Edinburgh Festival), we too went to the tatoo this year, we purchased tickets from a guest whom due to ill health could not keep his booking, so it saved them loosing out on the cost of their tatoo tickets.

take care hope to meet you again sometime soon.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights and loved it's central location to the royal mile and City Centre. YOU CANNOT BEAT THE PRICE FOR IT'S GREAT LOCATION. It took us only 10-15 min. to walk to reach the royal mile and City Centre. There is a bus stop across the street that you can take-we didn't feel we needed to. My husband and I are in our early 40s and are very active. In my opinion, I feel that the walk is easy enough for anyone that is generally in good health. Many people walk the royal mile with no problem so the walk from the Clarin to the Centre is a piece of cake!

The location of the Clarin is safe and quiet neighborhood. There is ample FREE parking in the back. Parking in the back is also used by other other residence so if there is no parking, you can double park your car in the Clarin private parking lot. You just have to leave your key with the hostess/host. DO NOT PARK in front of the B&B because you need a residential permit. THE CAR WILL BE TICKETED AND TOWED AWAY.

My husband and I rented a double ENSUITE (with a restroom/shower). You can rent a room w/o an ensuite for a cheaper rate and share the restroom down the hall. The room was pretty spacious considering it being Scotland (rooms in the UK run VERY small compared to US standards). If you bring more than 2 large luggages, you will be a bit cramped. The bed was not the best, but my husband and I were fine with it. It was more of a spring "craddle" (if that makes sense) w/a matress on top;not your usual US bed. Again-for some people this may be a problem, but for my husband and me, it was fine. The ensuite shower was a bit tight, but doable. I am 5'2" so I had not problem. My husband is 5'9" and it was a little tight for him. For anyone taller than that, it may be a problem. The showers in Scotland, we noticed, are these boxes with a temperature control. We had come across this in 2 of the b&b we stayed in. The new establishments have US standard showers. With that being said, the shower in Clarin, at least in our room, can get really HOT (I had read about this in some previous reviews so I knew this was going to happen) so be careful-you can burn yourself. What I did was let the shower run at the temperature I wanted and left it at that temperature while in the shower. Be careful....NOT to increase the temperature WHILE IN the shower because it can heat up fast and from previous reviews, this had happen to someone.

The breakfast was great! We tried the Scottish breakfast-it was delicious! We had to pay extra for breakfast each day-it was very resonable- because it wasn't included with our reservation. I booked through expedia.

All in all, our stay was great!
You cannot beat the price for it's excellent location.
Free parking
Pretty Spacious
Wonderful hostess/host.

****Advice
First time driving in Scotland? Get a GPS! It was difficult to drive around the Centre. Streets names are hard to find-at times they are on the side of the buidling-& the street can change 3-4 times. What should have taken us 15-20 min to get to the B&B from the airport, took us 2 hours. When you arrive from the US you're jet lag and getting use to driving on the other side. We didn't get GPS and before leaving for Scotland I Mapped quested directions-how different was it from the US? Well, there was a detour and that messed us up! We drove around for hours and finally asked a taxi driver. He had to look it up on his GPS! Driving outside the the centre was much easier!

Also, if you are arriving after 8:30 p.m. make arrangements with host/hostess. Remember it's a B&B w/o 24 hour desk attendant. Okay, so my husband and I made arrangements to be there by 8:30, but ended up getting there at 10-at the time the host was in his car about to leave. We were so lucky to get there before he left! Otherwise, we would have had to call the hostess, which would have been bad for us because we didn't have an international phone! So when planning on your arrival, I would say it would be better to arrive during the day, unless your planning on having a phone.

WE WOULD STAY HERE AGAIN WHEN WE RETURN TO SCOTLAND EVEN WITH ALL THE "BUMBS".

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple