“Very good for the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Clarin Guest House

Clarin Guest House
Ranked #130 of 444 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
austin texas
“Very good for the price”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

The Clarin Guest House is a good deal at the price. It is exceptionally clean and the rooms are comfortable. It is in a quiet location but within walking distance to good local restaurants and taverns. We were unable to get an "ensuite" room and had to share the bath, but never had any problems with access. Rooms on the "first" floor are actually up a tall, steep, curving starcase which was a bit difficult as I had fallen and injured myself, so be ware of this when making reservations. City buses are only a half block away, so the hotel provides convenient access to all of the city.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Very friendly, nice and kind family with excelent service. very clean rooms and perfect breakfast!
I would definitely recoment it

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Me and my mother stayed her for 3 nights in may, and we had the best time! Kim and Andy went out of their way to help us with whatever we needed help with, wether it was borrowing a laptop, finding places to eat, where to take the bus from or what to to in Edinburgh.
We got the family room at the top, which was big and nicely furnished.
We also loved the breakfast, that they personally made for each one of us. It was really good!

Overall, it was the perfect bed and breakfast for us, especially with Kim & Andy who were so helpful and friendly!
We hope we can be able to come back soon! :))

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 6, 2012

We had booked clarin guest house via hotwire 2 months ago and went there today and were looking forward to our stay having read the good reviews. As we arrived there was Kim smiling and welcoming us in and came back in a panic not being able to find our reservation. She tried everything with the company that she is registered with for online bookings and was really trying her best to help us. Anyway we managed to book somewhere else with hotwire. The hospitality extended by Kim and Andy has to be credited for as other reviewers have made mention as well. I was quietly sad to leave this lovely b&b with hotwire having not got the reservation right. Maybe next time. Keep up the good work Andy and Kim next time no hot wire/ expedia, we will come directly to you. Thank you. Sherveen and saba

• Stayed April 2012
Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Thank you Kim & Andy! Excellent value for money. Close by bus stops to catch regular bus to/from Edinburgh City Centre. Room 3 is a very modern family room with double bed, bunk bed and en-suite. Nothing was too much trouble for the owners who were very helpful and attentive. Breakfast was great and really filling. I rated sleep quality average as the mattress was too hard for us and suspect it may need turning. Otherwise, I would definately recommend.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Denbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2011

After arriving at 12pm, and being reminded we were not due to check in until 5pm, they were very accommodating and gave us maps and lots of advice about how to get places, the best deals and we were also then able to check in 1hour later :)
Breakfast was well worth the extra and very tasty set up for the day
We were lucky with an en-suite room and would recommend this guest house to all looking for accommodation in an easy location for a few days sight seeing

Room Tip: Ask for en-suite, we had room 2!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
claringuesthouse, Manager at Clarin Guest House, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
Your lovely review was much appreciated thank you for taking time out to write this, I know you stated an arrival time of 5pm, however this was our fault (my sincere apology), we were being kind and let the previous guests stay a little longer, due to the fact you would not arrive till 5pm, when you arrived early at 12. (lets just say it taught me a lesson, always to be prepared for the unexpected!) the phrase running about like a headless chicken comes to mind right now ha ha!, but all was resolved quickly, sorry you's had to wait for your room being prepared, we are delighted you's enjoyed your stay, hope to see you again sometime.

thanks again
take care Kim & Andy
Reviewed October 23, 2011

This guest house was a good value with sparse but clean furnishings. Our stay started off okay with Andy checking us in and offering maps of Edinburgh. We were informed right away that although we had booked a two night stay we would be moving rooms after the first night due to the fact that we booked online. After being moved to the third floor our second day we found ourselves locked in our room. After repeatedly calling the only number listed for the guest house without answer (the phone was downstairs and no one was in) we resorted to yelling to other guests downstairs. This continued for about an hour before anyone heard us. After we were able to get out of our room and find/call the cell number of the owners they were unapologetic and told us they couldn't have predicted we would be locked in our room and they would take care of it. Once they arrived back we were shocked at the lack of apology and customer service we received. We were refunded the cost of that night but we were far from satisfied with their response to the problem. I would not recommend this guest house and hope that the owners realize how important good customer service is so no one else has to have a bad experience.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank edjw
claringuesthouse, Owner at Clarin Guest House, responded to this review, October 27, 2011
We had just left the Guest House 20min,s on way to a family emergency when your call came through, no missed calls where registered on our phone prior to this, (I am concerned as the Guest House number has a divert service to our mobile), when we did receive your call (you screamed down the phone to “Get Back Here Now To Deal With You“ or a bad review was going on our webpage), we advised you the hospital is only 10 min from the house and we would be back in 10, on the phone and on arrival an apology was 1st and foremost, I advised you this was unforeseen circumstances and we would have to get an emergency locksmith out to fix the lock, my worry at this point 1. was to locate a locksmith, 2. where would you stay as you stated you did not want stay in this “Guest House“, I was calling all my friends nearby to see if they could help, I could not even offer you another room as we were fully booked, you were shouting aggressively and asking why there was not mega apologies, why did I knock the gentleman’s door that helped you, did I not BELIEVE YOU THAT THE DOOR WAS TRULY STUCK, (for your information, I knocked the gentleman’s door and thanked him for helping you, if you were not so irate you would have heard the conversation),
By this time all you could do was to shout “what was I going to do to compensate you“? what was I proposing to do to “redeem myself” to avoid a bad review? I was not concerned about a review, but it was making me angry that a gun was being held to my head over a review.
My biggest concern at this point was to make sure you and your 16 yr old brother (whom my heart went out to, whilst he watched you cause such a disturbance) had somewhere to sleep and be comfortable on this very busy wet Saturday night in Edinburgh, although it did not seem to be a concern to you, being irate and screaming only about compensation, to the extent that another single guest picked up on the situation and asked us if it was easier to relocate him (only being 1 person) so we called around and managed to send him to a friends nearby at 9pm at night, and moved you to his twin room, (I take this opportunity to thank this kind gentleman-for being so kind & considerate for us).

LOCKS: I would like to point out this is a serious matter and this was a new Security Lock only fitted the month before your arrival in July, the day after your stay the locksmith came out & checked all our locks in the House, he apologised and said the new yale lock was snapped inside and he replaced it, he did state this is not something he had seen before.

MOVING ROOM: for the miss-understanding and you having to change rooms, as Andy explained to you on arrival, (this does not happen often only at very busy times), when your last min booking came through the automated online system, it would have appeared online to you we have a twin room on Fri & Sat, but it was a different room each night as the system shows on a normal day we have 3 twin rooms, it does not say room 1 first night, room 4 second night, unfortunately the online system you came through does not give the room listed by the room number so you would not be able to see this, so it would appear to you that you are in the same twin room for the duration.
We did try to advise you of this prior to arrival but you did not supply any contact details to us on your booking, we did go back to the introducer company but they also confirmed you did not give them any contact details either, we tried to shuffle other rooms around so you would not have to move, but this had a knock on effect with other guests and your room move could not be avoided, our apologies for this.

after all said above, I can only say I did my best to resolve/defuse a situation that occured from un-for-seen circumstances.

Kim - Clarin Guest House