“What's not to love?” 5 of 5 bubbles

Clarin Guest House
Ranked #131 of 445 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
“What's not to love?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2011

I had originally booked for three nights but ended up staying five nights because I liked it there so much. I got to try out two separate rooms and both were clean, quiet, and comfortable.
Kim and Andy were excellent hosts, and I highly recommend the guest house to anyone visiting Edinburgh.
This lodging is located within walking distance of the Royal Mile, and as mentioned in other reviews, also accessible by bus for those who don't fancy the quarter hour walk.
I cannot recommend Clarin House enough. It truly made my first visit to Edinburgh memorable, and I plan to retrace my steps back to Kim & Andy's soon.

• Stayed April 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Spalding
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2011

Stopped at the Clarin for a couple of nights and found it was just perfect for what we wanted. Clean and tidy, quiet and comfortable. On arrival Kim and Andy made us most welcome and gave us all the local information for visiting Edinburgh, recommendations and local buses etc. Could not fault how welcome we were made to feel. About twenty minutes walk into the centre of Edinburgh, or the local buses pass the top of the road at regular intervals, so you get a great place at a good price close to the city centre. Very good choice for breakfast, and nothing to much trouble for the host's. Can certainly recommend this establishment to anyone wanting a few days sight seeing around Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Ask for what you want
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
claringuesthouse, Manager at Clarin Guest House, responded to this review, October 15, 2011
Thank you for taking time out to write us a review, glad you enjoyed your stay, we hope you had a safe and pleasant journey home, take care, hope to see you again sometime.

Nijmegen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2011

My four-day stay in Clarin Guest House was very comfortable. Every morning, I walked to the university (in the city centre), which gave me the pleasant Edinburgh dynamics to wake me up. It was also possible to use the Lothian buses, which provide the same honesty in pricing as this guesthouse. Furthermore, Andy and Kim will go out of their way to make your stay top-notch. The room was large and neat, as was the bathroom with a large selection of shampoos etc.

If I am in Edinburgh again, Clarin Guest House would be first on my list for a room.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Apologies for my delay in replying, Im not so clever on the computer, but now I think I have the review update proceedure under my belt.
We would like to hank you for your kind words and writing us this review, hope you had a safe journey home, glad you made use of the toiletries in the communal shower room, look forward to seeing you again the next time you visit Edinburgh.

Melb
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2010

How refreshing it was to find a place that didn't triple their rates during festival season! Even the Backpackers I enquired at were going to be more expensive than this place.

I found the Clarin GuestHouse on TripAdvisor and after reading between the lines of the "not-so-happy" customers, I was quite content to book our two rooms. Let me explain....

**One reviewer mentioned there was no "reception desk.....". I've yet to find a B&B that does have a reception desk. B&B's are traditionally set up in homes; I know that for a fact, because I too run a B&B in Australia and we certainly don't have a reception desk and we normally don't hang around during the day because people usually don't want to be seeing the hosts, so it didn't bother me when I read that reviewer's review!

**There was also comment that this wasn't a GuesHouse....etc etc..... well, GuestHouse or B&B it's all semantics really and so long as you're not expecting a 4 or 5 star Hotel, you should enjoy it. If you do want a 4 or 5 star hotel - go book one!

**The review about it being "a cramped and musty hallway" defies all logic. We visited in 2010 and found it to be nothing of the kind. Quite the opposite really.

**One reviewer also noted the "sign out" form that you had to sign each time you left the building. All I can say is that it is the first time I've seen it, but it didn't bother us at all, in fact, it actually makes sense. In the event of an emergency, the proprietors at least would have an idea of who might be in the building and who isn't.

The hospitality we encountered from Kim and Andy was just wonderful and to see a smiling, chatty host in the morning is quite delightful. We've stayed in many B&B's in Scotland, England and Ireland and this one leaves them for dead.

The room and the bed was extremely comfortable and even though our room faced the street, it was a lovely quiet residential street and not at all noisy at night.

The ensuite was admittedly small - but I have seen smaller!! I've yet to find a decent size ensuite anywhere in the UK - it's a fact of life, so get used to it.

There were hints of some renovations still underway, so things weren't quite so "finished looking", but the friendliness of the hosts ensured that any small shortcomings were overlooked (and any perceived shortcomings were very minor). We continually have "shortcomings to overlook" in our B&B - it's all part of the on-going maintenance.

Anyhow, we walked into the city of Edinburgh just about every day during our visit and when we needed to, we either caught a taxi back or the local bus. It's very well located for bus stops and probably a 30min walk into the city. The Minto hotel was great for a meal also; beware of their "large" glasses of wine..... they are really large!

I truly believe that anyone who want's everything to be as orderly, or the same as what they have at home just shouldn't leave their own home. They should forget the travel and leave to to people like us who can appreciate and enjoy other cultures. We enjoyed the friendly service that we received and would happily return to this pleasant little place.

Thanks Kim & Andy - hope to make it back in 2011. Sorry for such a long winded review, but I think some things need to be said!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank franklin3460
claringuesthouse, Owner at Clarin Guest House, responded to this review, October 15, 2011
Thank you so much for a large informative review, I think you have covered all in there, at long last I have now figured out how to reply to my reviews (too late ha ha), but I now do not need to say anything apart from thank you and I am glad these comments have come from another guest, it's much appreciated that you took time out to write this for us.

with a heartfelt thanks

msida, malta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2010

Enjoyed a lot our stay. Breakfast was excellent rooms very tidy. towels smell nice like the once at home and great help from Andy and Kim. Would go back any time. Refurbishment was great to this guesthouse.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Cupar, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2010

Stayed at Clarin Guest House again, night out in Edinburgh - was just as I have always found it; friendly, welcoming and comfortable. Kim and Andy have put in en suites in the bedrooms and this makes such a difference.

Have booked to go back during the festival :-))

• Stayed July 2010
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Auckland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2010

We are couple with one child from New Zealand and we sleeped in CLARIN Guest House 2 nights,We were very pleased with everything - room was nice and tidy,breakfast was delicious,price is very reasonable and owners were profesionals,they organised for us car rental,managed phone calls...This place is very well managed on profesional level and we wish both owners the best !!!Thank you very mutch Kim and Andy.
Steven&Monika and Alysha