“Beautiful food”

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: West End
“Beautiful food”
Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

We found this restaurant on tripadviser & ate here on a Saturday night. I ate the lamb, which was amazing & my partner had the steak, which was perfectly cooked, the scallop starter was the highlight of the meal & was outstanding. We both ordered the apricot & chocolate cheesecake for dessert & with champagne, the bill was rather reasonable at around £125. Would definitely eat here again.

London, United Kingdom
“Enthusiasm and Quality shine through”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Atelier means an artist’s studio. This small neat space (to be found near Haymarket Station) is well named. On Sunday night the chefs were culinary artists and with their serving staff produced a veritable chef d’oeuvre of a repast.
I have seldom been so taken by a meal and it wasn’t just the very reasonable price I eventually paid.
This little restaurant has an ambiance of understatement: soft muted decoration, gentle lighting, simple solid polished tables; a cuddling little hideaway.
The waitresses who served us were friendly, helpful and efficient. The beer and wine list showed an intention to offer something different.
The food was beautifully presented. The care given was obvious. The flavours I was offered were sure yet delightful in their subtlety. They were well balanced and complementary. The texture of each constituent part appeared perfect and well matched to the others in the dish.
This establishment has been only running since July 2013. I am so glad that I have been an early guest. The obvious enthusiasm of the small team involved in this little oasis is no doubt an integral part of the success and praise presently earned.
This is quality.
Book a table or if you can’t - just queue….I know I would consider the wait worth it.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Sebastian R
Edinburgh, Scotland
“Superb, interesting Christmas menu & excellent service”
Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed immensely the Christmas menu and the excellent service from The Atelier. The scallops and Morcilla (Spanish black pudding) starter was superb and fabulously presented. The pheasant main course was similarly great looking and even better tasting. The cheese board was good and extremely generous in portion size. All in all, an excellent experience and topped off with very friendly and attentive service. Great to see some innovation in Christmas menu, when restaurants (even v good ones) disappoint at this time of year. Will definitely be back!

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Murphy1976
Worthing, England, United Kingdom
“An off the beaten track gem”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

A short distance from the centre of Edinburgh - past some of the less desirable streets in the city - but well worth the trip. A stylish, cosy venue, with friendly staff and delicious food.

• Visited December 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Lots of potential, a few hiccups”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

This little restaurant obviously has big aspirations and, for the most part, they are heading in the right direction. The staff are friendly and professional, but not stuffy. The wine list is great, I can especially recommend the Fairhall Downs white and the Rutherglen Muscat dessert wine. The food was good quality and there was a lot of skill on show.

The problem we had was with the main. All three in the party ordered the steak - two ordered it rare, verging on blue, and one ordered medium. With each of the steaks that came back, one half was cooked to delicious perfection, but the other half was very underdone (in the case of the medium) and very overdone in the case of the rares. When we pointed it out the offer of replacements was made immediately - however, as the bits cooked perfectly were so amazing - one of my fellow diners declared it the best steak he'd ever had - they were very reluctant to send the 'good' bits back so only the 'bad' halves of the two overdone rare steaks got sent back while my undercooked medium was quickly re-fired. It was obvious the staff were upset about it and couldn't really understand how it could have happened, but we wondered if it was because they were using a new beef supplier and, as we were on an early table, we could have been the first people to have ordered it.

However, having only sent back one steak in total despite three being cooked 'wrongly', they only took the cost of one steak off our bill for the inconvenience. It would have been a nice gesture to take one of our drinks rounds off too.

Also, the to-ing and fro-ing meant our meal went on longer than it was expected to and the manager (I think) had to very sheepishly ask us to hurry as we were finishing our final drinks because the table was booked for another party. I can see this was unavoidable but it made us feel a little guilty when, really, we had done nothing wrong and, in fact, had gone out of our way to waste as little of their produce as possible by only sending back the parts of the steak which were wrong rather than two whole steaks.

I think this was just a slight rookie error though and, as steak seems to have come off the menu for now, I would give this place another chance as the kitchen showed a lot of skill with the other courses.

• Visited November 2013