“Fab family meal”

Cuisines: Indian, Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Neighborhood: Broughton & Calton
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Booked this restaurant online for 5pm on a sat night as had heard great reviews. On arriving, it doesn't open until 5pm and was queued right down to the bottom of the steps. People in the street were stopping and asking what was in there with the length of the queue.

On entering the building there is a host to the right and when explained I had a reservation she said we had to wait in the queue until we reached the front of the line and would then be seated - this is why I did not give venue 5 stars as I assumed as we had booked we would be shown straight to the table.

Drinks order quickly taken and was amazed at the selection of food - perhaps too much a choice if you are like me and like to try different things. They had british carvery, italian station with pizza, pasta lasagne, Chinese, indian and sushi.

Deserts was my sort of heaven with a large chocolate fountain half white, half milk chocolate, marshmallows, gummy sweets and mini eggs. They also had trifle, mousses, macaroon, waffles, ice cream and cones and other things.

Over 150cm and you are charged as an adult and was about £15 a head for a sat night (although they only charged my son as a child and he is over 160cm and forgot to put a beer on the bill so bonus for me!). Service was average as we struggled to get attention for second drink for my husband.

I have been raving about this place since our visit and would definitely return when in the Edinburgh area.

1  Thank Fifetrio
Write a ReviewReviews (1,830)

Reviewed February 12, 2014

Booking a table at this restaurant is a job in itself; I've been trying for months to get a seat, and each time it has been fully booked. Delighted at managing to secure a table of two last night, I was quite excited for this 'culinary journey' the restaurant is marketed as being.

From our entrance in, the whole experience was sleek. Staff used in-ear pieces to communicate to each other, which I've not seen at many places. The system seemed to work well, and we were put to a table promptly. The concept of Cosmo is that there are 'stations' of food from around the world.

And there is so much food. Indian, Thai, Mexican, Korean, British... you name it, they've got it. I can imagine this would be the ideal place for families with fussy eaters to come as there is bound to be something for everyone. Even better, the food is well cooked and differs from the usual standard of buffet food. The meat was tender and the curries weren't greasy at all. Obviously there is an element of 'jack of all trades, master of none' and there are some great restaurants in Edinburgh for each of the specialty cuisines but, all said and done, it does a good job.

We went up for a couple of plates of food each before we were sufficiently stuffed. The drinks are refillable too (soft drinks, that is!). We never felt rushed and were allowed to rest between courses in peace. After digesting our mains, we headed for desserts; there's a lovely range of cakes and, to my utter delight, a chocolate fondue. Honestly thought I had died and gone to glutton-heaven.

In short, all you can eat for around £16 a head (on a weeknight, I think it's more if you go at the weekend obviously). For what it is, Cosmo is really very good, and I'd recommend it.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

Came here with the extended family in December. Had so many choices to visit i did not even touch the indian section, my personal fave is the kobe style grill where the chef cooks fresh scallop/squid/japanese dumplings on the hot plate and the suchi counter right beside. Food is awesome the place is bouncing and you never feel like you are in a big queue. Decor is lovely and if you are looking at seating a big group its so much easier here. Also if someone cant find something they like here then they will never be pleased.
Highly recommended and will be back. Forget Jimmy Chungs - this is the place.

1  Thank tudan
Reviewed February 8, 2014

I have visited this restaurant many times since I've moved to Edinburgh. I can say I'm really pleased with the food. It's a really good value for money and not just a simple buffet restaurant.We are usually greeted there by Eva or another young girl. Both are really nice and friendly. Then If we are lucky we have a table and if not the waiting begins. They are usually really accurate with waiting times but we try to go early in order to avoid disappointment.
Food is usually really good and waiters are usually fast and friendly. Sometimes food can be disappointing but still it's of good quality.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

We have now visited Cosmo twice because every place deserves a second chance.
Impressed as we were with the restaurant which is laid out in three U shaped buffet areas and a sweet counter at the end. The stainless steel counters are very clean and the staff are attentive but food is what you are there for.

I made it my mission to have a tiny bit of everything I like and after a while I could not tell the Thai from the Chinese or the Italian. After the first few bites it's like everything tasted the same - bland. Not what you expect when you visit such an establishment

The place is very busy and noisy. The price is good for the quantity of food available but if your taste buds are alive, you may not want to bother.