“Shhhhhhh don't tell anyone .....”
Review of Old Town Chambers

Old Town Chambers
Ranked #3 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed January 26, 2014

These apartments are beautiful. Attention to detail modern apartments. Classy, modern, feels very expensive. We could not find fault. The apartment was down a flight of stairs...but the apartment. Was all on one level....large open plan with 2 ensuite bedrooms. The beds were gorgeous and comfy. There is intelligent lighting and heating, and up to date tv and sound system. The staff were fab, very happy to help with taxis, storing suitcases, etc. highly, highly recommended. The apartment is just off the Royal mile, more to the castle end. Was perfect location. There are restaurants in abundance around and prices to suit all. Our family had just the best time.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Merchiston R, General Manager at Old Town Chambers, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Thank you so much for your lovely review. I am delighted to say that a mirror is on its way for the 1 bed penthouse for the bespoke wardrobe so the next time you come back I hope everything will be absolutely perfect and you will know you're way round the lighting system!
I do hope we will see you back soon.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

We enjoyed our stay in a two bedroom apartment between Christmas and New Year. The apartments are convenient for both the Old and New Town.

It is clear that a lot of money has been spent on the apartments. The kitchen had everything you would need to prepare a proper meal including a really cool coffee machine. There was also a Bose sound machine.

The only reason I have given the stay a four instead of a five is that the room was unbearably hot on the first night and we couldn't sleep. We followed the instructions on the heating in the manual and the receptionist also tried to help. But the problem was fixed the next day. The only other glitch was that the bathroom door locked on my teenager daughter twice and she was unable to get out. I think these are just initial teething problems because the apartments are relatively new.

We would definitely stay here again. We had way more room for three of us than we would have had in a hotel room. The man on reception showed us round the penthouse apartment and that looked amazing for if there are at least four of you.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this review. It is great to hear you appreciated the space and enjoyed the bose and nespresso. I am sorry you had issues with the heating and the door to the bathroom, however I am glad to hear we resolved them for you and I do hope we will see you again soon.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

These apartments enjoy an excellent location in the heart of Edinburgh's old town, with a superb view, from the balcony, over the gardens and beyond. The hustle and bustle of the Royal Mile is only a few steps away but the apartments are tucked away in a quiet and beautiful spot. We stayed in the one bedroom penthouse apartment for one night. The accommodation was lovely, spacious, clean, and almost every comfort one could want was provided for. The one thing missing was mirrors! There was one in the bathroom but nowhere else. Also, the hi-tech lighting system took a little while to master. Apart from those minor niggles, everything else was just divine! We had no trouble finding the apartments due to detailed directions provided at the time of booking. The concierge was very friendly and helpful when we arrived...everything was just wonderful. I will definitely book into the Old Town Chambers during my next visit to Edinburgh.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Merchiston R, General Manager at Old Town Chambers, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Hello there!
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review. It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay and you are quite right, there should be a mirror in there, I am off to sort that out right away! It is also great to hear that the email directions work, you will be an expert for your next visit and we will look forward to that!

Reviewed January 20, 2014

A wonderful, large, quiet, luxurious apartment right in the centre of Edinburgh!

No expense has been spared here from the quality of the beds and bathroom fixtures to the intelligent lighting dimming system, interactive wifi TV and soundsystem!

Room Tip: Go for the penthouse-the views across the City are stunning!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

It's great to read your review, thank you so much for taking the time to post it. It really brings a smile to our faces to hear that all the details we pulled together to ensure a luxury stay are appreciated! I hope we will see you back soon.

Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in these luxury apartments for 2 nights in Jan. There was 4 adults and 2 kids. Apartment was spotless, modern and well equipped. The living room having a smart TV. The beds are huge and if your small you may need a step ladder to get into them. They are situated in a great location just off the Royal Mile. You can't enter the building though without going over steps. We had a 1 year old and the buggy was a bit of a problem with the steps. There is a cool bar next door to the apartments on Advocates Close. I only went in for a beer and didn't try the food. I will def visit the bar again. It's part of the same development as the apartments.
I would def use these apartments again but they are a bit on the expensive side and the price would have to be right as you could probably stay is the balmoral for the same price as an apartment here.
Our only issues we had was the milk was off in the room when we arrived but this was quickly changed and on the hotel description we were supposed to have a view of princes street which we didn't. All in all it was a good break.
One final point is we were looking for somewhere to eat which would cater for small kids and also my mum ( she has a limited palette). We went to The Doric just down the steps and round the corner opposite the train station. I would highly recommend.

Stayed: January 2014

Thank you for your lovely review, I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and thank you very much for recommending family friendly places near by.
I do hope we will see you again soon.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

Tucked away from the main street, as cozy as it is, it's a pain for first timers to actually figure out the exact location because google map says you have arrived but who knew it was in an alley. Some direction signs should be put up in its close proximity I am sure we weren't the only ones who got lost. the cool thing about this place is you don't really see anyone apart from that one person at the front desk and no keys required to go into your apartment. a security code to your designated apartment is emailed to you prior your arrival. Really comfortable beds the only downside i can say is the shower room, a sliding door or shower curtains would be helpful to stop the flood.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Hello there and thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I must admit to sharing your frustration about signage; we have been discussing appropriate signage with the Council for a long time!!! The trouble is they are very (understandably) fussy about what is allowed on the Royal Mile. That is why our email instructions and map are so detailed, to try and compensate.

However good news! I believe we are close to agreeing signage and so I hope for your next visit you will see our sign!

With regard to your other comments, I am very glad to hear you enjoyed how discreet the apartments are and the beds. With regards to the shower, it would really help me if you could let me know which apartment you stayed in a the showers without a screen are not supposed to allow water to come out, so I will need to look at that. My email is julie@oldtownchambers.co.uk.

Thanks once again and I do hope we will see you again soon.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Very comfortable and spotless apartment, pleasant and helpful staff and a magnificent location in the heart of the Royal Mile. We had a fabulous experience here for four days over Hogmanay and we were very sorry to leave.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Merchiston R, General Manager at Old Town Chambers, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review and it is great to hear that you were sorry to leave us. We had such a great time with all our festive season guests; we were sorry to see everyone go home too. Especially John who had a great time over Hogmanay and was delighted to have an excuse to put on his kilt! I hope we will see you again soon.