“Fantastic food”

HEI Chinese Restaurant
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: West End
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Lovely new restaurant. On a friend's recommendation we popped in for dinner after work. We had steamed dim sum platter then szchezwan sizzling fillet steak and salt and chilli squid with noodles and beansprouts. It was all excellent. The squid was the best I've ever had. Byob with no corkage. The bill was £34 which was great value.

Pleasant staff. Decor nothing to get excited over but the food was the star. Will definitely be back.

1  Thank Hazeleeno

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We found this restaurant purely by chance, and were attracted by the mouthwatering food, which included Crab and what looked like Sea Bass being consumed by Korean customers at the window table. We were welcomed in by one of the joint owners who helped us pick some of the most tasty food we'd ever eaten, and when we came to ordering more the waiter warned us that we'd already ordered enough and any more we wouldn't be able to eat! I don't think anyone has ever told us that before, but he was right.

The food, when it arrived was all it was promised to be and more; the waiter was right about the quantity - we took a small doggy bag home, and price wise it was very reasonable.

This is a great Chinese restaurant - and has been recognized as such by the number of Asian customers - a sure sign of authentic Chinese food.

1  Thank howardeawilliams
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Simple, efficient, and truely tasty, this place is a great chinese restaurant. Its also BYOB, so be sure if you wish to have a drink you bring it with you.

The szechan fillet steak was superb, and being just off Lothian Road its a great location when heading in to town, or on the way back from the office.

Helpful staff, and a smaller bill than expected just added to the experience - keep it up!

Reviewed August 22, 2013

My partner and I decided to have dinner out on the spur of the moment, not something I usually like to do as I can be very picky about my food. I LOVED it.

We had the set meal and they were happy to change one of the dishes for us. The food was excellent and so clearly fresh. There was more than enough food for the two of us and it tasted so good we took the leftovers home.

Service was good, not the fastest (but we didn't wait too long) but I'd rather wait for food which was clearly cooked fresh than be given reheated rubbish.

The restaurant was clean and the toilets were immaculate.

I enjoyed it so much that I've booked in for my birthday tomorrow.

The only downside is that this seems to be the only website with their number and it wasn't easy to find in a search.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

We went with a group of 6 business colleagues after a friend's recommendation. The service was really friendly and the food fresh, tasty and authentic. The best Chinese restaurant I've eaten at in Edinburgh, and I've sampled quite a few!

1  Thank Josh907