“Photography in the City”
Review of Iconic Tours

Private Central Highlands driving tour
Ranked #11 of 207 Tours in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Hi, we're Will and Chris, Edinburgh locals who are passionate about where we live and love to show you iconic sights, tell you about amazing characters, share fascinating tales and give you the inside stories that only the locals know. We offer tours to suit everyone's needs, whether you are a solo traveler, on holiday with friends or coming with family of any age. Our tours are only for small groups or on a private basis and we offer different specialist tours to give you an experience you will never forget. We offer walking and driving tours where we go beyond the usual stories to give you real insight into the history of our country and those who shaped it in easy to understand terms that is fun for all the family. For those wanting something a bit different we also offer photo tours where we use our background as professional photographers to show you how to get the best out of any camera, whether it's a DSLR, compact or smart phone whilst we see wonderful scenes and learn about the places we photograph. All of our tours are fun, friendly and relaxed. They are not scripted, our routes change depending on the weather and more often that not it's tailored to your needs. We look forward to welcoming you soon.
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I had a great time on the tour with Will. Lots of great photography tips and ideas, which really got me thinking differently about how to take my pictures. As a beginner he was very patient, and helpful showing me how to change the settings over and over. He's also a great tour gude showing me some new spots around the city which I've not seen before, and telling me all about the history. It was great fun lurking in the grave yards after dark!

I would definitely recommend this tour to all levels and abilities.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Willrobb, Owner at Iconic Tours, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Dear Sarah,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I really appreciate hearing your thoughts on the tour.

I'm glad you got a lot out of the photography tips and ideas and as a result you are thinking differently about how to take your pictures.

I'm also very happy to hear you enjoyed our "lurking" around in some places off the usual tourist trails and you found the information about Edinburgh interesting. It is an amazing city we live in and knowing a bit more about it makes it all that little bit more interesting.

Many thanks again for taking the time to write and keep enjoying your adventures with your camera.

There are newer reviews for Iconic Tours

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Will's enthusiasm for both photography and history makes this tour thoroughly enjoyable. I have visited Edinburgh many times and still he took me parts of the city I had never seen. Combined with this I now have a far better understanding of my camera (Lumix G1) and feel confident that the quality of the photos I take will continue to improve. Comfy footwear is a must!

Willrobb, Owner at Iconic Tours, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Dear Stuart,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review when I know you must still be enjoying your time off from work, I really appreciate you taking the time to do so.

I'm really happy to hear you enjoyed the tour so much and despite the fact you went to university in Edinburgh and have visited many time that I still managed to take you to some parts of the city you hadn't seen before and I also it was great to have a chat about the more interesting parts of Edinburgh's history.

I'm really glad you understand your camera a lot more now and managed to get it off auto and P mode. You were producing some stunning shots, especially after the sun went down and the lights came up.

Thanks to you too for a thoroughly enjoyable tour.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Walked around Edinburgh and learned some nice facts about the city. Nice tour & I can heartily recommend to anyone. Thanks again Will!

As Will mentions in his emails you should wear comfortable shoes and be ready for the weather. Indeed- This advice goes with Edinburgh as a whole anyway ;).

Got some nighttime photography done as was agreed and I am more than happy with the results.

All in all another satisfied customer!

Hi Antti,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review so soon after your trip to Edinburgh, I really appreciate you making the effort when I know you must be busy.

I'm really happy to hear you are more than happy with the night time shots, Edinburgh really changes it's face at night when the buildings are lit up and you already excellent photo skills got you some amazing results, I really loved the light trail shots and even the cloud movement over some of the monuments.

YES, you really know what I mean in my emails about comfortable shoes and being ready for the weather. Walking Edinburgh isn't easy with all the hills and steps, but as you know it is worth the effort to wear sensible shoes whilst on this tour.

All the best for your photography adventures.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Will is so patient and a brilliant teacher. He has such a relaxed way of teaching and is able to explain concepts very simply and in a way that you don't forget them. The three hour course was over in a flash, but I came away wanting to take my camera with me everywhere. The fear factor of not being able to master my camera was gone.
Will makes you see the sights of Edinburgh in a novel way and fills you in on interesting historical facts as you wander around the city. His enthusiasm is contagious and it is all thanks to Will that my photographic skills improved exponentially.
I cannot recommend his photography tour highly enough.

Willrobb, Owner at Iconic Tours, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2013

Hi Bron,

Many thanks for taking the time to write (love the tripadvisor name as well :-) such a wonderful review. I'm really happy to hear you want to take your camera everywhere and you have now lost the fear factor in using your camera. Once you know a few simple things it all fits into place nicely as you have proved.

I'm always happy to hear people like the historical facts too, as well as getting great photos it's always nice to know a bit about what we are photographing.

All the best for your future travels, keep taking your camera everywhere and hope to see you in Scotland again some day.

Best wishes and thanks again for taking the time to write.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

I would definitely recommend this tour . I had just got myself my 1st DSLR Camera (Nikon D3100) and was so confused by all the settings. I left the tour with a great deal of understanding of my camera and enthusiasm to get on and take great photographs. Will took you off the Beaton track to unique vantage points to take great photographs. My favourite part was almost certainly the Kirkyards. The beautiful stonework was amazing. Will told great stories of the history of what we were snapping. Very knowledgable . Loved the whole experience. Thank you Iconic Photography Tours.

Willrobb, Owner at Iconic Tours, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Hi Liz,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review and I'm glad you now know your way around your Nikon D3100 and your enthusiastic about going out and using the manual settings a lot more, it really will change your photography.

The Kirk yards really are great, so much to see in them and although they can be a bit creepy, there are plenty of interesting things to photograph in them.

It's very nice to hear you appreciated the historical info as well, I really like bringing that into the tour so people know a bit more about what they are photographing.

Best wishes