“Superb Food & friendly service”
Review of Blackfriars Restaurant - CLOSED

Blackfriars Restaurant
Cuisines: American, British, Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Old Town
Dumfries, United Kingdom
“Superb Food & friendly service”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Just had one of the nicest meals while visiting Edinburgh. Small menu, but for us it was reassuring, as it meant all the food was freshly prepared & cooked. Very friendly and helpful service.

Kilsyth, United Kingdom
“Great Meal, Very tasty”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We had a great lunch in Blackfriars, the fried egg and black pudding was amazing as was flat iron steak and then there was their homemade soda bread which is to die for and I may be mistaken but I am sure the butter was homemade too which just made the soda bread taste even better, to be honest worth a visit for the soda bread, just in case I am not getting my point across the soda bread is the best I have ever tasted

glasgow
“FOOD AT BLACKFRIARS EDINBURGH”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Read a really great review in The Sunday herald on Blackfriars in Edinburgh, turned up at the restaurant on Saturday night with out a booking and ended up in the bar. Great little place. The bar staff are lovely, very efficient and friendly. The food is delicious, try the Hake fritters, the Malbec wine is delightful. Will go back at some time and try the restaurant. Would definitely recommend.

Bath, United Kingdom
“Quick drink?”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We were meeting friends for a drink and decided to meet in the bar - it was lovely, bright and welcoming. We ended up staying for 5 hours! Good but pricey wine. We ordered several bar snack items - they were all tasty, although the cheese was served straight from the fridge which spoilt it slightly.
Next time we will eat in the restaurant as I'm sure the full meals will be just as tasty

Falkirk, United Kingdom
“It's ok. Bit pricey. Nothing special”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Small bistro setting, but plenty of room between tables. Staff very friendly and efficient.

We ate here during the Festival so I'm unsure whether the menu is typical (choice from about 5 starters and five mains). The number of options should not have been an issue - many restaurants where cooking is taken seriously offer a similar number of options. But we found it difficult to find something that interested us. In the end, I had the hake and my companion the rib-eye steak. Both cooked well.

But what took the gloss off the meal was the cost and portion-sizes. £23 for a small rib-eye, almost £7 for small glass sauvignon blanc. Earlier in the week I'd spent a few nights in a four-star hotel at Marble Arch, London - these are the outrageous prices they changed!

The server did ask if everything was to our liking and I did, as polity and courteously as I could, provide my honest view: menu did not provide sufficient choice, portions too small and too expensive for this type of eatery in Edinburgh. "I just work here" was the reply. And that was that.

So, sorry guys, we won't be back. There are many good restaurants in Edinburgh that provide good food and service at reasonable prices.

2 Thank commuter_8