“Imaginative new bar and restaurant”
Review of The Vintage - CLOSED

The Vintage
Cuisines: Indian, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

After being open for several months the Vintage has not lost its novelty. A great range of real and craft ales, often quite unusual ones from abroad. These are served as schooners rather than pints but sometimes given their strength that's no bad thing. The food is also excellant as well as proper meals their is great charcuterie board selection which is ideal for sharing and whilst some of the options are unusual and might not be to every ones taste they are all of the highest quality and very reasonably priced. It's well worth catching the service 22 bus from Princes Street which stops over the road. Don't be put of by the flats opposite Leith is a great part of Edinburgh with lots of hidden surprises beyond the Royal Yaht!

1  Thank Ian19650715

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We had dinner in this resaurant on the 6th of june for my sons birthday. He had heard great things and was very keen to go. However none of us would pay a return visit. My husband and two sons had the "famous" charcuterie and were rather diappointed in quite a few of there choices. Not being a great meat eater I went with the unnamed white fish. Never have I had such totally tasteless food. I could not have told you what kind of fish it was. If I had eaten with my eyes closed I couldn't have even said it was fish! At the very start of the meal we asked if we ordered a bottle of wine and did not finish it, could we take it home. We were told as long as it was before 10pm it was fine. However, part way through the meal we were told this was not the case. As the wine was pretty awful anyway there was barely a glass gone. The rather unpleasant - manager? (she did not introduce herself) told us we would only be charged for one glass. Very big of her! It was a waitress error and in light of how little was consumed I feel no charge would have been better. It would most certainly have been better pr. The staff are badly trained,(just one example, when our waitress was poring the wine she dripped all over the table and then just roughly wiped it up with the palm of her hand) They do not introduce themselves and if you dare to complain they then talk about you to other staff members right in front of you. The rudest, most arrogant manager I have ever encountered.

5  Thank flowerlady48
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The charcuterie is fantastic, so fresh and lots of it! I myself is not a Beer/Ale/Lager drinker, on this weekend I was! I have to say I was blown away by the knowledge of the staff. They know their stuff! We had an amazing afternoon, it was so relaxed and we were not rushed. We wil be back very soon with the parents and siblings!

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We are becoming regulars at this great wee gastropub in Leith. The "cola cube pork" with carrot and parsnip canelloni as a starter was one of the best starters I have eaten anywhere.

The chefs in here really know their stuff.... Not to mention the range of fantastic craft beers, which are constantly rotated - I would highly recommend a schooner of the "clown juice" if it's on!

I can't believe i almost submitted this review without mentioning the great selection of charcuterie. We must have tried about 12 various sausages and cured meats here across various visits. The charcuterie is a must (the soft chorizo is a favourite of mine)

Reviewed June 22, 2013

We went to the Vintage thinking we'd have a meal, if possible, or a drink if not. I found the member of staff who we dealt with so rude and dismissive that I wouldn't go there again. We went next door to the Scotch Whisky Society and had a lovely meal with attentive staff.

4  Thank Yvonne M