“not enough staff and not good value for money.”

Blackwood's Bar & Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Blackwood's Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #480 of 2,478 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Stockbridge & Dean Village
Description: The cuisine at our restaurant in Edinburgh is natural, fresh and often organic, with ingredients farmed, caught, raised or bred in Scotland. Our beef has been raised in a traditional and sustainable manner in the wilds of the Scottish Highlands, our rare-breed pork and lamb are organically farmed in the rolling hills of the Scottish borders and our fish is from the Highland lochs and North Sea. With over 25 Scotch whisky blends and single malts, our bar also focuses on local flavors.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“not enough staff and not good value for money.”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We were a party of 20 people. The decor was very pleasing and the food was overall pretty good. There were a few negatives. I went to the bar and ordered a bottle of house red (£18). The waiter said that he had none left and that he would be 10 mins as he had to "collect it". I said that I would have the bottle of wine for £20 and suggested that I only pay the £18. He was ok with that although reluctant to start with. I would have thought that a pre-booked table for 20 people would have encouraged the restaurant to get in plenty of house red. The three courses cost £25 per head. A choice of the usual four dishes. The mussels were very good but (a) no spoon for the sauce (b) no finger bowl. The lady next to me had to use her glass of water as a finger bowl. It was useless asking the waiter as there was ever only one waiter serving our table of 20 at any one time. This meant that when the main course arrived all 20 of us sat staring at the plate whilst we waited for the veg. The veg. was overcooked and I could not really identify what veg. was actually in the dish except the creamy mash which was good. The veg. was all served in little dishes so therefore it was finished as it hit the table. They refilled these tiny dishes but too late as we had almost finished the small portion of meat anyway. Perhaps the dining experience would have been different if only two or four people was eating. I would have thought that another server would have been brought in for the evening instead of only one at the bar and one serving (with the bar person trying to help at intervals). I also think that the veg. dishes should have been much bigger for the party of 20. It is not a restaurant that I would rush back to based on value for money and my dining experience. For £500 I plus drinks I would have expected better. The company was great though!

• Visited March 2013

• Turkish first
Newcastle upon Tyne
“Afternoon tea HUGE disappointment”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My boyfriend and I visited the Nira Caledonia on a Saturday afternoon for afternoon tea after reading some extremely positive reviews.
Our first complaint was lack of parking. There appeared to be no parking provided with the hotel and if there was, it was full. So we ended up parking a fair walking distance away on quite an unpleasant day.
When we arrived, the hotel seemed very unprepared, and indeed - when we were shown into the deserted dining area, a member of staff was busy vacuuming the floor, who hurriedly tidied everything away.
We ordered our afternoon tea and the stand very quickly arrived, along with two pots of tea. No mention was made of refills being available.
There were 6 fingers sandwiches - 2 beef & horseradish, 2 smoked salmon & cream cheese, 2 ham. The only sandwiches I could eat were the salmon and it was very tough. The bread also didn't seem very fresh - it was very dry around the edges.
The next tier had four scones and two pieces of lemon tart. The scones were warm, which appeared to be an attempt to pass them off as freshly baked, which they definitely weren't.
The top tier had two cupcakes, which were anything but elegant and looked like they would have been better suited a children's tea party. Along with the cupcakes were three random chocolates, which weren't to our liking.
Perhaps we have been spoilt, as our last afternoon tea was at The Balmoral and it was head and shoulders above this. There, we were offered a menu of teas and coffees, unlimited refills, choice of sandwiches, our choice from a sweets trolley... It was like chalk and cheese comparing it with the Nira Caledonia.
There is absolutely no way on this earth we would consider returning, we will be taking our custom to The Balmoral in future.

2 Thank Newcastle82