“Awesome location, fabulous place to stay!”
Review of Ellesmere House

Ellesmere House
Ranked #31 of 395 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Lovely guesthouse, fab location as walkable into town, good local bars and restaurants, brilliant brekkie, comfy beds, warm during a cold and wet night, friendly family looking after you, gorgeous dog, nothing negative to say. Look forward to staying again next time I'm in Edinburgh!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Ellesmere H, Owner at Ellesmere House, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Thank you so much for your positive review.

Here in Edinburgh, we're not always blessed with the best weather, so we try to make people feel as cosy as possible; I'm glad you appreciated that.

Jack really is a freindly dog and responds well to freindly people! Please do visit us again.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Stayed for three nights so we could see our son who is at the Uni. Host Lisajane and her staff are really friendly, Jack the dog is well behaved and only bothers you if you ask him to, the breakfast was fantastic and the room very comfortable. Amazing how quiet it is given that you are right up close to the city centre. Will be back.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank christhomson1964
Reviewed September 27, 2013

When realising I was going to be travelling to Edinburgh alone I was a bit apprehensive about where to stay but from visiting their website & reading the good reviews here, I got a good feel about the place and it definitely did not disappoint!
After a lovely welcome from Lisa (and of course the fabulous Jack!) I immediately felt comfortable in my beautiful room (room 1) which was very tastefully decorated and spotlessly clean. The nice touches of port and chocolates were a welcome addition!
The guest house is set in a lovely peaceful location overlooking a golf course but within walking distance of most places. Only 2 minutes walk to the restaurants recommended by Lisa (Henricks is definitely worth a try) and about 15 minutes to Princess Street.
Being a dog lover I thought Jack was amazing and would have loved to have seen more of him! However, for those not so keen on our four legged friends, this should not be something to put you off staying here. Jack is incredibly well behaved, knows the areas of the house he is not allowed to go in and really would not bother you at all.
Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would love to return for a longer trip in the future with friends or family. Thank you Lisa :)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jennifer M
Reviewed September 22, 2013

After looking at many hotels I read the reviews on here about this place and decided to book it. I was not disappointed and would definitely recommend for anyone to stay here. Our room was lovely, the staff amenable and location was close to a bus stop for travelling to town. Overall excellent!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Charlotte R
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Very warm and friendly welcome LIsa couldn't do enough to make our stay special. Lovely spotlessly clean room overlooking a fabulous garden. Very quiet, good position just around 10 min walk across the meadows to the royal mile and around 15 min to princess street. Lots of good restaurants and bars within 2-10 mins walk. A most enjoyable stay . Breakfast was so good and plentiful we couldn't eat again until the evening.Would definitely stay again! Jack was brilliant too!

Room Tip: Although room 3 was a lovely comfortable room which we did enjoy staying in, if you are very tall th...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ian s
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed at the Ellesmere during the Fringe. Lisa was very welcoming and the bedroom was lovely. However the bathroom did have black mould in the shower grouting and no mirror over the sink for shaving.

When it came to breakfast it was chaos despite having Lisa and two assistants. Breakfast itself was ok, not really a full Scottish, no tattie scone visible, which I believe denotes the use of the word Scottish. Also two much was fried and slightly greasy. Not keen on the large table to share with the other guests while breakfasting.

An nice place but would not stay again, it was very expensive for what was delivered.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank burnsm
Ellesmere H, Owner at Ellesmere House, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our B&B.
I am sorry you found your stay was below par. Had you raised the issues with me directly, I would have taken the opportunity to rectify them during your stay.

Your comment about the shower was taken to heart by our housekeeper, and I'm pleased to report that the issue with the grouting has been rectified.

As the ensuite in your room has a window above the sink, it is not possible to provide a mirror directly above it, but there is one very near the sink; there is no need to move from the sink while shaving.

Our full Scottish breakfast includes Haggis, made by our local award-winning butcher. As breakfast menus are completed by our guests the night before, there is every oportunity to request extra items for breakfast. Although potaoto scones are not on the menu, had you requested them, they would have been provided - you need only have asked. Our sausages, (also made by our local butcher), are baked in the oven, not fried - although the eggs are fried in oil, of course.

In terms of the chaos at breakfast - I'm sorry if that was your experience. In every establishment there's the odd morning when things don't run as smoothly as usual - the trick is to keep calm and carry on, preferably with a smile!

I understand that sharing a table at breakfast is not for everyone. However, many of our guests like to meet eachother and often share thier experiences of the festival to recommend an attraction or a "must see" show. Whilst cooking in the kitchen, I do enjoy listening to the chatter and laughter coming from the breakfast room.

I am sorry that we will not see you at Ellesmere House again.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

I booked this guest house for myself and my wife for the Edinburgh Tattoo and fringe. I am so glad I booked this as the stay was fantastic. We were shown to our room on arrival and we were very impressed. The room was decorated beautifully and was very clean. The bathroom was very nice and clean also. Lisa (the owner) was a lovely lady and couldn't do enough to help you and the bottle of port in your room with chocolates on arrival for a bed time tipple was a great touch. Breakfast was very nice and I have a gluten and lactose intolerance and Lisa went out of her way to cater for this. The location was very quiet and if you like a little game of pitch and putt then this is ideal for you and the walk through the park to the city centre is 15 minutes at most. Overall this stay was fantastic and we will be returning to this establishment in the near future. Thank you Lisa and all the staff oh yes and Jack the Labrador who was such a good boy.

Adam & Debra :-)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

What a wonderful review! Thank you so much. I am so glad you enjoyed the Port and chocolates, 2 of my favourite things! It's great to hear that you'll be returning sometime, perhaps you'll have time for Pitch and Putt and maybe bring the children?

Looking forward to seeing you both again,
Lisa.