Ellesmere House
$503
$407
$208
  • Restaurant
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$161
  • Bar/Lounge
Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$227
$214
$151
$126
  • Restaurant
Apex Grassmarket Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$126
$117
$251
$232
$168
$185
$168
  • Pool
All reviewsb bbreakfast was deliciouspubs eateriesadditional touchesfull scottishlovely guesthousebed was incredibly comfortablerelaxing stayoverlooking the gardenshort walkbeautiful roomfringe festivalguest housedeluxe roomdefinitely stay here againevery morningtourist attractions
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed at the Ellesmere during the Fringe. Lisa was very welcoming and the bedroom was lovely. However the bathroom did have black mould in the shower grouting and no mirror over the sink for shaving.

When it came to breakfast it was chaos despite having Lisa and two assistants. Breakfast itself was ok, not really a full Scottish, no tattie scone visible, which I believe denotes the use of the word Scottish. Also two much was fried and slightly greasy. Not keen on the large table to share with the other guests while breakfasting.

An nice place but would not stay again, it was very expensive for what was delivered.

1  Thank burnsm
Ellesmere H, Owner at Ellesmere House, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our B&B.
I am sorry you found your stay was below par. Had you raised the issues with me directly, I would have taken the opportunity to rectify them during your stay.

Your comment about the shower was taken to heart by our housekeeper, and I'm pleased to report that the issue with the grouting has been rectified.

As the ensuite in your room has a window above the sink, it is not possible to provide a mirror directly above it, but there is one very near the sink; there is no need to move from the sink while shaving.

Our full Scottish breakfast includes Haggis, made by our local award-winning butcher. As breakfast menus are completed by our guests the night before, there is every oportunity to request extra items for breakfast. Although potaoto scones are not on the menu, had you requested them, they would have been provided - you need only have asked. Our sausages, (also made by our local butcher), are baked in the oven, not fried - although the eggs are fried in oil, of course.

In terms of the chaos at breakfast - I'm sorry if that was your experience. In every establishment there's the odd morning when things don't run as smoothly as usual - the trick is to keep calm and carry on, preferably with a smile!

I understand that sharing a table at breakfast is not for everyone. However, many of our guests like to meet eachother and often share thier experiences of the festival to recommend an attraction or a "must see" show. Whilst cooking in the kitchen, I do enjoy listening to the chatter and laughter coming from the breakfast room.

I am sorry that we will not see you at Ellesmere House again.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

I booked this guest house for myself and my wife for the Edinburgh Tattoo and fringe. I am so glad I booked this as the stay was fantastic. We were shown to our room on arrival and we were very impressed. The room was decorated beautifully and was very clean. The bathroom was very nice and clean also. Lisa (the owner) was a lovely lady and couldn't do enough to help you and the bottle of port in your room with chocolates on arrival for a bed time tipple was a great touch. Breakfast was very nice and I have a gluten and lactose intolerance and Lisa went out of her way to cater for this. The location was very quiet and if you like a little game of pitch and putt then this is ideal for you and the walk through the park to the city centre is 15 minutes at most. Overall this stay was fantastic and we will be returning to this establishment in the near future. Thank you Lisa and all the staff oh yes and Jack the Labrador who was such a good boy.

Adam & Debra :-)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

What a wonderful review! Thank you so much. I am so glad you enjoyed the Port and chocolates, 2 of my favourite things! It's great to hear that you'll be returning sometime, perhaps you'll have time for Pitch and Putt and maybe bring the children?

Looking forward to seeing you both again,
Lisa.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

After miss booking elsewhere at an expensive hotel we could not have been happier with our alternative choice. Lisa and Jack the Labrador were warm , attentive helpful hosts. Our room was the smallest available but was beautifully appointed with an outlook over a lovely garden and a very comfortable bed. Great breakfast and complimentary chocolates and port each evening, couldn't be happier. Well situated, within walking distance of all the sights. Definitely recommend it !!

1  Thank Bernadette B
Reviewed August 15, 2013

A lovely place to stay in Edinburgh for a comfortable Fringe visit. We (mum and daughter) found our room very comfortable (twin beds with snuggly quilts and plenty of pillows) and stylish, and loved the touches of chocolates, tea and biscuits and carafe of port. The bathroom was spotless and had its own special touch of Highland toiletries! Lisa was a charming and friendly hostess, helpful too - as was everyone, including the well-behaved and friendly Jack. Breakfast was excellent and set us up each day, with a choice of the best smoked salmon ever and scrambled eggs, or a full Scottish (there were other choices too). Glengyle Terrace was an excellent location within easy walking distance of the city, and near the wide open Meadows park. We would definitely recommend a stay here.

Room Tip: We stayed in Rm4 so had the advantage of a nice view over the garden.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

It was so lovely to meet you and your daughter. I can't thank you enough for posting your kind review. I'm pleased you were comfortable and that you noticed the care we take over the bedding.

Thank you, also, for recommending a show at the festival to me. My Husband and I really enjoyed it, although he struggled with some of the "in-jokes" as he's never seen The Killing or read any Stig Larsson, (I had to whisper explanations through-out!)

I know it was a trip down memory lane for you on your return to Edinburgh. I do hope you'll stay again sometime.

Lisa.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Stayed here for our Fringe break - very convenient location, within easy walking distance of city centre. Lovely outlook onto the park/free golf course and exceptionally warm welcome from Lisa and Jack the labrador. Our room was spacious, well equipped, with quality bed linen and a really comfy bed. We particularly liked the bottled water, Lindt chocolate each day and small carafe of sherry. Breakfast was plentiful and served in a timely manner. Overall, I wouldn't hesitate recommending Ellesmere House for a short or long quality break in Edinburgh

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends